View Diary: This Is What I Cannot Understand (280 comments)

•  It sounds like this guy (22+ / 0-)

blasted his way into the school, whose doors were locked. Sadly, anyone with a semiautomatic is going to be able to get around whatever security measures (short of a standing SWAT team) a school has in place. And that's just another reason why these weapons should only be in the hands of military and law enforcement.

And as an aside, I have long felt that we should be listening to what law enforcement has to say - they're the ones who have to deal with these weapons and their aftermath in the course of duty, day after day. We're making their jobs less safe, as well. I've heard a few big city police chiefs interviewed in the wast couple of days, and they are beyond frustrated with the political gridlock on this issue. I know that not all cops are perfect, but I have great respect for them and the jobs that they do. But then again, it's not like it's politically popular to support any public servants these days.

•  yes once he got through the locked front doors (5+ / 0-)

he had the run of the school ..  it also sounds like those were glass doors ---  "visitor sequestration" is different.  it's like the waiting room at a doctors office.  In fact at my son's school it's just like a doctors office.

There is a "doctor's window" to the office where they see you and talk to you.  You are not outside being "buzzed in" (which was the case at my son's 4th grade school).  You are there, they see you and talk to you directly.  the only doors in the waiting room are the front doors which aren't locked and the security doors leading into the school which are always locked requiring either electronic card, code or to be buzzed in to get passed.

Yes he could of and probably would have shot up the school office through the doctor's window BUT it would have given those in the ancillary offices enough time to alert for a lock down and to alert the police.

Whenever I come to pick up my son during school I sign in, tell them through the window who I want and then go sit down while they get him.

Likewise if I need to or have an appointment with a teacher I tell the person on the other side of the doctors office window, and go sit down until the teacher comes and escorts me to the room.

At NO time am I allowed just to roam through the halls - and they know me, I've had at least one kid in this school for about 12 years.

Bumper sticker seen on I-95; "Stop Socialism" my response: "Don't like socialism? GET OFF the Interstate highway!"

by Clytemnestra on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:35:52 PM PST

•  My grandson's high school doesn't even come (8+ / 0-)

close to this level of safeguards.  I went to his concert Friday night and, probably because I was hyper alert after the day's events, I noticed for the first time that there is no security.  Not even metal detectors.  You just walk in through the all glass entry, into a large hallway with signs pointing to the offices and auditorium.  There are, I think, three big/main entrances.  No police presence, not even in the parking lot.

This is a beautiful new school in an affluent neighborhood.  I would like to think that no security was needed.  But I am not that naive.  When I get the chance, I am going to ask him about their emergency procedures.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." - George Carlin

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 12:46:45 AM PST

•  we upgraded and remodeld airports after 9-11 (7+ / 0-)

if we are not going to have reasonable, responsible gun control then we we will need to  upgrade and remodel schools ... and affix a heavy tax on firearms and ammo to pay for it

that's one of my ideas, any way

Please ask

I always thought of Columbine HS as been in one of that type of neighborhood.  I could be wrong

On the day of that massacre there was a girl there that I babysat when she was little, and even though we had moved 2,000 miles away she remained one of my daughter's good friend (they were the same age).

She wasn't killed in that rampage.  In fact she was among the first group of kids to flee and make it to neighboring homes.

Only to, a few years later, succumb to a brain aneurysm.

Please check

In the school my youngest son went to 4th grade in - had been newly remodeled, as in gut everything and start from the superstructure.

The office is in the middle of the building, you have to be buzzed in and they see you via video camera - but once in you have complete run of the school - you even pass the cafeteria on your way to the office.

The set up always bothered me.  They had closed an older school (circa 1929?) that my older kids went to, that actually had "visitor sequestration"  - I wasn't used to it coming from the west where we had nothing like it .. now I think it's the only way to go

The entry way of the school my son now attends was built a year ago.

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 01:17:28 AM PST

•  Apparently there is to be a parents' meeting (3+ / 0-)
            Clytemnestra, grannycarol, elwior

about the security this week.  My daughter in-law tells me that the PTA has not been happy with the security since the planning stages.  Maybe now someone will listen to them.

I do not want to have all the good guys living behind security bars while the criminals run free; there has to be a middle road so that we can protect our children while not teaching them to live in fear.

Improving our society would be much better than improving our cages.

My condolences on the loss of your daughter's young friend.

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:09:19 AM PST

•  I actually think this is a good situation because (2+ / 0-)
              grannycarol, elwior

not only does it deal with a massacre situation but also things like child abduction by a non-custodial parent (which is something I have also dealt with in my older children)

there aren't bars on the windows, but one access point during school hours that makes it hard for people to get in is IMHO a good thing

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:55:55 AM PST

•  I totally agree. Limited access to our schools (4+ / 0-)
                grannycarol, Clytemnestra, mrkvica, elwior

is a good thing.  My daughter has dealt with the non-custodial parent issue.  And it got ugly.

But the idea of living in a fortress, and allowing our children to grow up thinking it is okay to live in fear, just doesn't appeal to me.  And I am afraid that our usual knee-jerk reaction will prevail and we will go overboard.  Fixing the physical surroundings should only be a temporary measure while we work on fixing the ills that make it necessary.

My thinking is still very muddled.  Far too much emotion involved.

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 01:15:43 PM PST

•  I don't think it so much as "living in fear" (0+ / 0-)

because that's a charge often made by men when they learn about the precautions women, especially single women take to try and not be the victim of crime.

It's just what you've got to do.  It becomes second nature and you are prepared for situations.  You live in less fear if you are prepared.

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:56:53 PM PST

•  You want sequestration? (7+ / 0-)

I just visited SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn where an in-law was taken. Huntingtons Disease, which can cause mental problems.

Staff cards you into an airlock. Outer door closed before inner opens. Visits in he day room only. Not a scenario I would want for schools.

Also, the elevators give you on a card the security number to call. Unfortunately, because I tried to call out, iPhone no workee.

Thump! Bang. Whack-boing. It's dub!

by dadadata on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 04:28:11 AM PST

•  so we want reasonable or exterme? (1+ / 0-)
          Dogs are fuzzy

because I think a prison like situation or a locked ward is the extreme.

What happens at my son's school is reasonable because it not only helps in a massacre situation but also child abduction from a non custodial parent, etc.

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:52:49 AM PST

•  PS Liek the Brady Campaign I have given up (8+ / 0-)

hope that we can go after this on the gun side . . . I am more than willing to go at this from another angle and let a guns and ammo sales tax pay for it.

by Clytemnestra on Sat Dec 15, 2012 at 11:37:21 PM PST