View Diary: This Is What I Cannot Understand (280 comments)

•  we upgraded and remodeld airports after 9-11 (7+ / 0-)

if we are not going to have reasonable, responsible gun control then we we will need to  upgrade and remodel schools ... and affix a heavy tax on firearms and ammo to pay for it

that's one of my ideas, any way

Please ask

I always thought of Columbine HS as been in one of that type of neighborhood.  I could be wrong

On the day of that massacre there was a girl there that I babysat when she was little, and even though we had moved 2,000 miles away she remained one of my daughter's good friend (they were the same age).

She wasn't killed in that rampage.  In fact she was among the first group of kids to flee and make it to neighboring homes.

Only to, a few years later, succumb to a brain aneurysm.

Please check

In the school my youngest son went to 4th grade in - had been newly remodeled, as in gut everything and start from the superstructure.

The office is in the middle of the building, you have to be buzzed in and they see you via video camera - but once in you have complete run of the school - you even pass the cafeteria on your way to the office.

The set up always bothered me.  They had closed an older school (circa 1929?) that my older kids went to, that actually had "visitor sequestration"  - I wasn't used to it coming from the west where we had nothing like it .. now I think it's the only way to go

The entry way of the school my son now attends was built a year ago.

Bumper sticker seen on I-95; "Stop Socialism" my response: "Don't like socialism? GET OFF the Interstate highway!"

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 01:17:28 AM PST

•  Apparently there is to be a parents' meeting (3+ / 0-)
      Clytemnestra, grannycarol, elwior

about the security this week.  My daughter in-law tells me that the PTA has not been happy with the security since the planning stages.  Maybe now someone will listen to them.

I do not want to have all the good guys living behind security bars while the criminals run free; there has to be a middle road so that we can protect our children while not teaching them to live in fear.

Improving our society would be much better than improving our cages.

My condolences on the loss of your daughter's young friend.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." - George Carlin

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:09:19 AM PST

•  I actually think this is a good situation because (2+ / 0-)
        grannycarol, elwior

not only does it deal with a massacre situation but also things like child abduction by a non-custodial parent (which is something I have also dealt with in my older children)

there aren't bars on the windows, but one access point during school hours that makes it hard for people to get in is IMHO a good thing

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:55:55 AM PST

•  I totally agree. Limited access to our schools (4+ / 0-)
          grannycarol, Clytemnestra, mrkvica, elwior

is a good thing.  My daughter has dealt with the non-custodial parent issue.  And it got ugly.

But the idea of living in a fortress, and allowing our children to grow up thinking it is okay to live in fear, just doesn't appeal to me.  And I am afraid that our usual knee-jerk reaction will prevail and we will go overboard.  Fixing the physical surroundings should only be a temporary measure while we work on fixing the ills that make it necessary.

My thinking is still very muddled.  Far too much emotion involved.

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 01:15:43 PM PST

•  I don't think it so much as "living in fear" (0+ / 0-)

because that's a charge often made by men when they learn about the precautions women, especially single women take to try and not be the victim of crime.

It's just what you've got to do.  It becomes second nature and you are prepared for situations.  You live in less fear if you are prepared.

by Clytemnestra on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 02:56:53 PM PST

• Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • International (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site