View Diary: NRA's Twitter account goes silent after CT shooting, Facebook page taken down (300 comments)

•  I read recently (here or somewhere else?) that (1+ / 0-)
    Just Bob

only 30% of those held accountable for these kinds of mass shootings have a history of mental illness, so not sure we can blame it all on that.

There seems to be a lot going on.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 07:34:42 AM PST

•  No one is blaming it all on that. (1+ / 0-)
      tobendaro

Heavens, if all it took was mental illness we'd all be dead by now. Multifactorial is multifactorial.

Stay fired up: now is the time to focus on downticket change! #Forward

by emidesu on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:04:27 AM PST

•  Could be a misleading stat. (5+ / 0-)

Many are not diagnosed, have not received any services or complaints about behavior.  Many mental illnesses manifest in the late teens and twenties.  Simply, some just don't have any record of a problem but they really do have an illness.  In my son's case his intiial onset was the worst and most dangerous time.  It hasn't gotten that bad since then.

Everyone! Arms akimbo!

by tobendaro on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:41:04 AM PST

•  Right. That is exactly why I used "history of (1+ / 0-)
        tobendaro

mental illness".

So, yes, who knows. I would think a number of us who think we are pretty sane and without any kind of mental illness--perhaps not even close to the margins--really aren't.  :)

Believe me, I wonder about myself at times!

by cany on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:00:59 AM PST

•  It is mentally ill to kill 20 1st graders. n/t (0+ / 0-)

You don't get to keep democracy unless you fight for it.

by artebella on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:47:38 AM PST

•  You'll get no argument from me there. I am no (0+ / 0-)

expert in psychology or psychiatry, but it just seems, on its face, that anyone that kills not in self defense has something very serious going on.

by cany on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:55:35 AM PST