View Diary: Just dirt (22 comments)

•  Have you seen "Dirt" the movie? (9+ / 0-)

A very nice ode to dirt.

I've been near-religious about composting every since I read an article about topsoil that pointed out that nearly all life on Earth depends on the health of a layer of living soil that is far thinner, proportionately, than the varnish on a model globe.  Vastly thinner--such a precious resource and so few people recognize this.

Trees are essential.  Trees literally change climates.  Trees can be our salvation, if we wake up.

Universal Health Care - it's coming, but not soon enough!

by DrFood on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 11:30:17 AM PST

•  "Hope in a Changing Climate" (6+ / 0-)

. . . is another film that can be found on YouTube.  It shows the power of trees to stop erosion and reverse land degradation.  The story of the Loess valley in China is amazing--you have to see the before and after images.

Universal Health Care - it's coming, but not soon enough!

by DrFood on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 11:32:25 AM PST

•  I haven't (3+ / 0-)
      AllisonInSeattle, wasatch, cantelow

I will look for it now.

I confess that I am kind to earth worms, but I have not composted. Every year that leaf litter accumulates, I realize that some tiny amount of matter goes into soil (and cockroaches, among others, are the janitors helping the process along). The composters I've known have looked upon their pot/pit as if a child. It had a name and got fussy, and needed its temperature taken often, and could get sick during a vacation, etc.

People complain about dirt, but I'd like to see them make some.

by The Geogre on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 12:49:00 PM PST

•  Composting leaves super easy. Get some fence wire, (3+ / 0-)
        wasatch, cantelow, The Geogre

can be pretty cheap stuff, about 4.5 feet long and 3 feet high. With grid about 2"x3" or so, plus/minus. Take it home. Get pliers or short needle-nosed pliers.

Bend into an upright circle. Should be about 3' across. Next either use a coat hanger, cut & straightened, to weave the edges together, or just bend the cut edges of one side around the other side, to hold together. (Overlap about one square.)

Fill with leaves. Water if leaves were dry.  Go away. Come back in 2 years. Maybe water occasionally if very dry where you are.

Whew, that was rough, huh? They make the most
        wonderful substance.

This health care system is a moral atrocity. Dr. Ralphdog

by AllisonInSeattle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 08:52:16 PM PST

•  I can make a pot (1+ / 0-)
          AllisonInSeattle

Right now, I have nature's piles to the side of walk ways, etc. I allow them to molder and sit and dampen and grow. Occasionally, I look in, and there is a whole Micrologos in there of bugs. If there are bugs, there are beasties, and if there are beasties, the birds and native mammals can do their thing.

However, I have a drainage area where leaf litter blocks water flow, and I could pretty easily solve two problems at once back there.

A project! (And it doesn't involve researching, which makes it better than my other Christmas project.)

People complain about dirt, but I'd like to see them make some.

by The Geogre on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 05:45:47 AM PST

•  Glad you like the project idea! (1+ / 0-)
            The Geogre

(a pot?)

This health care system is a moral atrocity. Dr. Ralphdog

by AllisonInSeattle on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 04:45:55 PM PST

•  A poke? (0+ / 0-)

A pile?

[My other project is "all references to amphibious or amphibians in 18th c. British poetry for an examination of the concept and the battle between progressive and conservative ideologies and how the conservatives borrowed language from a feudal point of view that they did not in fact share." You can see why some chicken wire and for stakes is much more attractive.]

People complain about dirt, but I'd like to see them make some.

by The Geogre on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 10:05:54 AM PST