View Diary: Defeating NRA Talking Points. The problem with video games... (41 comments)

•  You are setting a geat example of what (3+ / 0-)

parents should be doing in regards to the media that their children consume. This is what my parents did. Hell, my dad played all the video games we did after we went to bed to "check them out."

He got hooked himself.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t'Saoghail. (The truth against the world.) Is treasa tuath na tighearna. (The common people are mightier than the lords.)

by OllieGarkey on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 02:55:52 PM PST

•  Our son comes home from school and is appalled (2+ / 0-)
      OllieGarkey, Silvia Nightshade

at what other kids his age seem to be permitted to play.  Some of them get access to those super violent games through older siblings.  But he can't believe that so many kids just play mature or prohibited stuff that their parents have no clue about, whether that be no interest in preventing them from having access to it, or no interest in finding out what their kids are doing.

That's one more thing to add to my long list of small problems. --my son, age 10

by concernedamerican on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 03:20:13 PM PST

•  Yup (0+ / 0-)

Those ratings Do. Not. Mean. Shit.

Nine year olds are playing fps games as we debate this.  Lots of them.

But there are a bunch of people on here....we'll call them Right to Keep and Bear Fake But Realistic Arms: RKBFBRA--who don't think this there is any problem with this little experiment.

Kind of hard to reconcile if you ask me--assault rifles and handguns with high-capacity clips: bad; games that glorify and normalize assault rifles and handguns with high-capacity clips: good.  The cognitive dissonance is actually audible from here.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:29:36 PM PST

•  I'll bite. (1+ / 0-)
          OllieGarkey

[I deleted the links to the studies on this in revision because why bother]

There's nothing really wrong with your guess, but there is something wrong with guessing.  There are solutions present that don't involve guesses.  Blaming video games right now is like blaming rock music or Dungeons and Dragons or the gay Teletubby.  It's a massive distraction from doing things we all know would actually help solve the problem.

Let's make a deal.  I'll take the blame for the next school shooting if the perpetrator does it while playing a video game and you take the blame in the next school shooting if the perpetrator does it while holding a gun.

•  I like that a lot. I'll admit that video games are (0+ / 0-)

responsible for violence if the next time a mass killing occurs, the weapon is an Xbox.

by OllieGarkey on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 10:55:38 PM PST

•  I'm not taking the blame for guns (0+ / 0-)

You can search my comments, even going back to  BEFORE this last shooting, and you will see dozens of comments from me supporting FAR more restrictions on guns and accessories.  The two aren't exclusive.

The supporters of violent games on this site are starting to sound an awful lot like the gun rights absolutists, hence my comparison to the RKBA group.

Comparing a game like, oh, this one to Teletubbies is like when NRA freaks compare a Glock with a 17 round clip to a kitchen knife.  The comparison doesn't even pass the lightest of common sense tests.

(By the way, for those of you who don't click the link, it's for "The Torture Game 2" on the site 666 Games....."Bringing you the most violent games on the net."  Any kid Googling for video games can easily find this and "torture" a tied up doll that bleeds with spikes, razors, a gun, a chainsaw, etc.  Yes, very much like Elvis and Teletubbies....freedom of speech at its finest.)

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 04:02:38 AM PST

•  Okay, so (0+ / 0-)

a few video games are bad, thus they're all bad?  No doubt there is terrible shit in this world featured in video games (and if you think that link you posted is horrible, you have no idea how truly deep the rabbit hole goes, especially with some of the crap that's made in Asia and never sees our shores), I think that hardly makes them all bad.

And if 9 year olds are playing these types of games, I must ask, where the hell are their parents/guardians?  Kids that young shouldn't have free, unrestricted access to the Internet, or video games that aren't online.  Period.

•  I never said they are all bad (0+ / 0-)

and I can imagine they get much worse than this one.  I occasionally play video games myself, but I have no interest in games where the object is to kill realistic humans...or any humans at all, really.

I also agree that parents need to keep kids from this stuff, but that's not reality.  Same thing goes for real guns, by the way.  We suggest laws restricting firearms and requiring trigger locks and the gun nuts come back and say,"Where the hell are the parents?" just like you did.  In the case of video games, I'll bet there are a lot of parents who have no idea that their kids are just 3 clicks away from playing "The Torture Game 2".

What do you suppose a game in a similar vein as this one does for someone with schizophrenia or other mental disorders?  I'm guessing it doesn't HELP their situation.  Or ours.  So kids/parents aren't your only problem.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 04:10:20 PM PST

•  The difference between a game and a gun (0+ / 0-)

should be obvious, but let's just state it anyway:  a gun can kill someone, a video game can't (unless they slice someone with the sharpe edge of a box or disc, I suppose).  And if kids are holed up playing these games for hours upon hours on end, enough to effect them so negatively, then really, where the hell are the parents?  I can understand a kid getting into a gunsafe when a parent isn't home, and firing it off--that can happen in a much shorter timespan than this idea that kids get indoctrinated by violent video games because they play them for days, weeks, months on end with no social interaction or intervention.  So saying my argument has the same merits of "Where are the parents" for guns and video games is disingenuous as best.

•  First amendment vs second amendment. (1+ / 0-)
          Silvia Nightshade

There are appropriate restrictions, and I'm in favor of banning children from playing these games.

I'm actually okay with California's legal ban on children purchasing these games. I don't think kids should play them. The ratings should have teeth in my mind.

And no, these games are not "good." I would agree with the statement that "Violent videogames are turgid little gun wanks that serve no artistic purpose."

Worse than being senseless orgies of violence, they're poorly made. There's no story, no subtlety, no pacing, they're just gun wanks. There hasn't been much artistic development in them for years.

Then you have games like Fallout, and Assassins Creed, both of which have mature themes in them, but have artistic merit to them. In the former, you use weapons like the Rock-It launcher, which shoots plates and baseball bats at your enemies, while the latter's involves nothing more advanced than flintlocks.

But that's beside the point.

Video Games are a deflection. There is absolutely no evidence that video games had anything, at all, to do with this. As noted below, saying that the shooter played video games just means that he was a male under the age of forty.

There's no link between video games and this shooting. But there's a pretty clear link between guns and this shooting.

by OllieGarkey on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 10:54:59 PM PST

•  I can see the gun lobby turning your argument (1+ / 0-)
            OllieGarkey

on it's head.

But there's a pretty clear link between guns and this shooting.
             All they have to do is ask "Exactly WHICH guns?"  Try to restrict a type of firearm and the retort is "Well, THIS particular make of firearm or type of ammunition has never been used in a mass-shooting, so you have no evidence of a problem with it.  Only restrict models that have been ACTUALLY used in a mass shooting."  Using that logic--your logic--virtually no meaningful restrictions would ever be enacted on any firearms or ammunition or they would be incredibly easy to circumvent.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 04:09:26 AM PST

•  "Semi-Automatic Rifles" Full stop. Do not define (0+ / 0-)

the weapons more than there. Do not define the ammunition more than there. Treat all Semi-Automatic rifles as identical.

Also, the AR-15/M4A4 type reciever is one of the best engineered gun types on the planet. IF we could ban any gun which used any part from the AR-15, or parts which were "functionally identical", you'd get a huge chunk of those semiauto rifles.

Granted the gun industry would just engineer a new system.

Just because my hair will grow back doesn't mean I shouldn't go get it cut every once in a while.

by OllieGarkey on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 10:52:35 AM PST