View Diary: The picture posted on FB by an NRA friend that set me off (316 comments)

•  The NRA is the most powerful lobby in the U.S. (1+ / 0-)
    athenap

Gun owner's interests, or more accurately, gun manufacturers' interests are represented by the most powerful lobby in the United States - the NRA.

Stop the persecution complex.  It doesn't' become you.

And by the way, how are your guns assisting you in keeping your social security and your medicare?

•  I will not vote for anybody that infringes on my (0+ / 0-)

Constitutional Rights.
      I have voted strait Dem ticket (except for Nader in 2000) ever since I could vote. I am as Progressive and as Left-wing as....well...as someone who voted for Nader.
      Elizabeth Warren in 2016 is something I am excited for, the first President I have been exicted for pre-Primary (let alone, 4 yrs before the election)....but I will not, will not, will NOT vote for anybody that infringes on our Constitutional Rights.
      I was furious with the GOP when they decided that 9/11 was reason to curtail the 4th Amendment with warrantless wiretapping, and will be with any Democrat that votes to curtail 2nd Amendment Rights with expanded gun control.
      I'm not the only one.
      We will lose Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico, and Wisconsin, if this infringement on Constitutional Rights goes forward.
      I will not, will not, WILL NOT vote for anybody that decides to infringe on my Liberties.
      My Liberties are not negotiable.
      I am not the only one, that feels this way.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 09:59:34 PM PST

•  Regulating guns does not infringe on your (0+ / 0-)

constitutional rights.  I have always supported the second amendment, but there is no issue with regulating the purchase and ownership of firearms.

It is not anyone's Constitutional Right to go to the 7-11 and pick up a Hauser.  Making it harder for people to purchase weapons by instituting background checks, training, licensing, and limiting the sale of specific weapons still doesn't infringe on your or my constitutional rights.

I grew up with guns.  Owned guns.  Heck I sorta like guns, but something needs to change.

"I watch Fox News for my comedy, and Comedy Central for my news." - Facebook Group

by Sychotic1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 07:12:09 AM PST

•  If "limiting the sale" doesn't infringe on the 2nd (0+ / 0-)

Then "limiting warrants needed for search" doesn't infringe on the 4th.

I reject that notion in both cases.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:03:10 AM PST

•  It says "well regulated" (1+ / 0-)
            athenap

and limiting the type of guns sold is a regulation.

So is training, so is registration, so is insurance.

I find your selective reading of the amendment to be only slightly amusing.

by Sychotic1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:14:35 AM PST

•  It says "well regulated militia" (0+ / 0-)

It also says "the Right of the people to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed"
              You will notice it says nothing about needing to be a member of a militia, nor "regulating" arms.

That said, arms ARE currently regulated (no full-auto, background check if buying from an FFL dealer, etc.).

I simply reject any infringments of Constitutional Rights beyond what we currently have. And I feel this way about ALL of our Constitutional Rights

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:25:08 AM PST

•  It is all in the same sentence (0+ / 0-)

and there is a logical argument for removing guns from anyone who isn't in a well regulated militia.

You and I will never see face to face on this because you believe your right to have a variety of fast acting guns in unlimited amounts trumps societies' right to ensure minimal safety.

by Sychotic1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 01:37:37 PM PST

•  It is the same sentance. (0+ / 0-)

I don't understand why you think that is relevant.
                  "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
                  ie Because a militia is necessary, therefor the Right of the people to keep arms, shall not be infringed.
                  You will notice that 'well-regulated' isn't mentioned with the Right of the People.
                  You will also notice that 'shall not be infringed' is mentioned with the Right to keep & bear arms.
                  You should also notice that being a member of a militia is not a prerequisite of the Right to Keep & bear arms.

"you believe your Right"
                  I believe in all of the American People's Rights. Including the 2nd.
                  I believe in not infringing on our Rights enough that I will NOT vote for anyone who does.

"societies' right"
                  You want to infringe on "societies' right" for the perception of safety. The word "Right" has a meaning, you cannot hijack it because you are uncomfortable with it in this context.
                  All free societies have to decide where/when to sacrifice Liberty for Safety.
                  The right-wing was willing to sacrifice the 4th, you are willing to sacrifice the 2nd.
                  I disagree with both you and the right-wing. I am not willing to sacrifice any of the Liberties we as Americans enjoy today for the perception of safety.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 03:47:19 PM PST