View Diary: What the President is Doing. (99 comments)

•  What did Reid lie about? He's not the one (6+ / 0-)

proposing the chained CPI.  In fact, he's still standing strong on S.S.  Pelosi said she'd be willing to go along with the deal but I think you are being unfair to Reid here.  In fact I even called his office this morning and his staff assured me that he still does not want S.S. on the table and won't support cuts to the program.  I support you criticizing our leaders when they're wrong but please be fair and aim your criticism at the right people.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:20:20 PM PST

•  Reid said regarding the issue, "I have to look at (1+ / 0-)
      penguins4peace

the whole package." Meaning he will go along with it. It couldn't mean anything else other than if the chained CPI on Social Security is included in the deal, then he will vote for it, regardless if he disagrees with it.

Hope has a hole in it when Republicans come, bringing shackles and sorrow; branding their greed on the backs of the poor. - Wendy Connors

by Wendys Wink on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:25:14 PM PST

•  You don't have a crystal ball. Until he says, "I (2+ / 0-)
        durrati, elwior

will vote for this" then nothing is definite.  Now, if you want to prevent that conclusion from happening, I suggest you put the pressure on him so he doesn't do so.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:27:43 PM PST

•  You might say that to the diarist (6+ / 0-)

S/he certainly seems to be gazing far too intently into one.  And seeing nothing more than wishful thinking inside.

Citizens United defeated by citizens, united.

by Dallasdoc on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:29:36 PM PST

•  That might be, and I take his diary with a grain (5+ / 0-)
            CwV, arizonablue, Pandora, jardin32, Jerry056

of salt but I am not going to be on either the "WE'RE FUCKED!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" side of the "Chill out, it's all good" side.  Keep the pressure on Dems for sure but please refrain from, "They are all going to sell us out!!!  Blue Dogs all of them!!!  AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" that I tend to see a lot in this community.  Keep your head clear and fight on is my attitude.  Nothing, and I repeat, nothing is certain.  Plus I rec both his diary and the diary on the rec list about Obama cutting S.S. on the rec list that grabbed everyone's attention because I want both perspectives on this.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:33:45 PM PST

•  You don't have to go to extremes (14+ / 0-)

But it never hurts to shoot as much flak at odious trial balloons as possible.  It's not like Obama hasn't tried to push this shit before, or that he won't try it again.  Democratic officeholders are not necessarily our friends, and we have to watch them like hawks.  Most of them don't even pretend theywork for us unless they're cadging for votes or money, and that includes the guy in the Oval Office.

Citizens United defeated by citizens, united.

by Dallasdoc on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:56:35 PM PST

•  Exactly (4+ / 0-)
                They are sometimes our allies and sometimes not and some even are friends.  But all bear watching.
              •  Well I can agree with the trial balloon, not going (2+ / 0-)
                durrati, Dallasdoc

to the extremes and watching them like hawks aspects of your argument.  But I do consider Reid, Sherrod Brown, Mark Begich, Jay Rockefeller, Tom Harkin, Jeanne Shaheen, Sheldon Whitehouse , Barbara Boxer, Tom Udall, Jeff Merkley and Bernie Sanders as friends on this issue.  What I do get sick and tired of are commentors thinking they can freely call anyone they don't fully agree with as a DINO or a Blue Dog when there's evidence that they aren't.  I remember people started calling Tim Kaine a blue dog when he made that dumb comment about the 47% and taxes during his debate with George Allen.  A dumb comment for sure but I don't think it's fair for people on this community to call a guy who fought hard for African Americans in Virginia to achieve affordable housing.  That's just one example.  When you make comments like that, it doesn't motivate people to put pressure on them to do the right thing, it just leads to a "FUCK THAT GUY!!!! LET HIM LOSE THAT FUCKING DINO!!!" attitude.  Love this community and don't mind a lot of the criticism here, in fact I agree with a lot of it.  It's the attitude I have issues with.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 05:07:14 PM PST

•  I wouldn't be too worried about the poor pols (6+ / 0-)

It's part of their job description to take heat from the public about public issues of the day.  Moderate, reasoned debate gets lost among the shouts, especially when big checks aren't being waved around.

So let citizens clamor to make their voices heard, and put whatever pressure they can on their elected officials.  They're doing their job.  If the officials listen and respond, then maybe we can start to say they're doing theirs as well.

Citizens United defeated by citizens, united.

by Dallasdoc on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 05:18:31 PM PST

•  This is true but I also believe in thanking them (1+ / 0-)
                    Chas 981

and rewarding them for doing the right thing and taking the right stances.  I just don't like people making unreasonable and preconceived claims because they're upset.  Criticize, scold and put the pressure on them, for sure.  But don't accuse someone like Reid of lying when he hasn't or claim that "oh he will agree to it because he said 'i need to look at the whole thing'" like Wendy just did.  It's when people's emotions cloud their judgements and causes them to become so bummed out and skeptical that they try to go and make everyone else feel as miserable as they are that I also have an issue with.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 05:24:09 PM PST

•  P.S., and I know this is off topic, but I like (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, scilicet

your icon.  I'm a big Oasis fan myself.  I was pleasantly surprised with Liam Gallagher's new band, Little Beady Eye but I am obsessed with the Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds album.  That album and the Beastie Boys last album I think are the two most albums on my iPod right now.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas

by poopdogcomedy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:39:27 PM PST

•  Oh I apologize, that conversation about Oasis (3+ / 0-)
            Dallasdoc, JesseCW, blueoasis

was meant for blueoasis who recced your comment.  Sorry about that.

Funny Stuff at http://www.funnyordie.com/oresmas