View Diary: Obama admits he's already conceded more than warranted (360 comments)

•  Right. I think the idea of Obama the Liberal (2+ / 0-)
    BlueDragon, Fixed Point Theorem

has been implanted partly because we tend to think black man = liberal politics. Certainly, he is far more liberal than the alternative, but that's not saying a whole heck of a lot.

For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. - Albert Camus

by Anne Elk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:32:52 AM PST

•  I think the idea of Obama the Liberal (3+ / 0-)

... also partly comes from the fact that during elections he is cynical enough to know to SOUND like a liberal, because if he is honest about his real views, he wouldn't win.

And we keep being dumb enough to fall for it because he wraps his bs in such a pretty, inspiring package.

•  I don't see that myself. (0+ / 0-)

Although I have always thought him more conservative than is generally believed, I certainly do not see him as some kind of cynical user of liberal support. It's one thing to believe something, but quite another to achieve legislative successes when you face fierce opposition from opponents with plenty of power. The President doesn't have the luxury of just going around yelling. He has to work with people who cordially despise him and are trying to undermine everything he is trying to do. So, I am inclined to keep an awareness of his limitations as a man, but respect the enormous battle in which he is engaged and give him a little credit.

by Anne Elk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:51:17 AM PST

•  How much is too much? (3+ / 0-)
          niemann, MPociask, DSPS owl

Is there any line that he could cross that would change your opinion?

I stopped "giving him credit" in 2008 when he announced his cabinet choices. Disgusting.

And yet, better than the alternative. That has been his ace in the hole.

How many divisions does OWS have?

by Diebold Hacker on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:26:04 PM PST

•  You just don't have to make the same (0+ / 0-)

calculations he does. I voted for the best candidate. I didn't vote for Heaven on Earth.

by Anne Elk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:29:32 PM PST

•  Me too. (0+ / 0-)
              I voted for the best candidate.
              Best doesn't mean Good.

How many divisions does OWS have?

by Diebold Hacker on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 01:02:53 PM PST

•  Maybe not. But elections offer a choice (1+ / 0-)
                mikejay611

that gives you the opportunity of voting for one or another candidate, or not voting at all. I vaguely remember a feverish devotion on this site to the idea of re-electing Obama, not because he was the Messiah but that he was a vastly better alternative. I am not a believer in the politics of perfection.

by Anne Elk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 01:15:59 PM PST

•  I never fell for it. (1+ / 0-)
        niemann

I only voted for him because Romney would have been so much worse.