View Diary: Dear Founding Fathers... (89 comments)

•  It cannot be won (1+ / 0-)
    bontemps2012

because the law is what the Supreme Court says it is, and that means that opening clause is mere surplussage.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 03:48:03 PM PST

•  Then they don't have a rudimentary knowledge (0+ / 0-)

... of history just before, during, or just after the Revolutionary War when the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were written.

by NonnyO on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 05:23:51 PM PST

•  Sad but true (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

Too many people have never gone beyond "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and have no frickin' idea what was really going on between 1750 and 1800.

If it's
        Not your body,
        Then it's
        Not your choice
        And it's
        None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 07:11:40 PM PST

•  Love your sig line! (0+ / 0-)

Or did I tell you that already.  If I haven't, I meant to.  I sent it to a friend a while back, in fact.

As far as history..., I was always crazy about it, mostly in England, Scandinavia, parts of Europe where the Celts originated, but much, much earlier stuff up through 24 Mar 1603.

Then, as I got farther and farther back in genealogy research, all these historical details crop up..., and genealogy research has been instrumental in my learning various tidbits about American history in areas where my ancestors lived, primarily, but also a few general things that affected other areas.

It's really quite interesting..., but if I mention historical details, people, especially young people, give me a blank look like I've lost my mind, and then say (snottily) "Oh, who cares about all that old stuff?"

Well, "all that old stuff" is what led to things that affect us today.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh....

Mercifully, in my quest for genealogical and historical knowledge, I have a network of people from literally around the world and in both hemispheres who are also interested in all this lovely arcane knowledge....

What would we do without friends who share our interests?

:-)

by NonnyO on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 09:31:41 PM PST

•  NRA types have argued sometimes (0+ / 0-)

that the phrase "well-regulated" as written in 1791 meant "well-trained", not regulated like we think of government regulations.

liberal bias = failure to validate or sufficiently flatter the conservative narrative on any given subject

by RockyMtnLib on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 05:30:23 PM PST

•  Even so (0+ / 0-)

That would suggest that ownership comes with a duty to train and maintain ones position without the militia.  It would roughly mean that owning a gun requires membership in the national gun

The current chaos meets neither definition

by Mindful Nature on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 07:02:56 PM PST

•  They have a point but it doesn't help them (0+ / 0-)

as it still implies the need to belong to said well-trained militia.

These days, that means the State or National Guard (some States still have their own State Guard as well as a local branch of the National Guard).

If it's
        Not your body,
        Then it's
        Not your choice
        And it's
        None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 07:20:14 PM PST