View Diary: Open thread for night owls (141 comments)

•  I wonder if Starbucks has the right to refuse (4+ / 0-)
    Wildthumb, Miggles, Garrett, grover

them business and ask them to leave. I sure hope so, and if they do, that they invoke it. I would absolutely not want to be in a public place where some creepy insecure cowboy wannabe with anger issues is sitting two tables away from me, silently brooding over those loud kids by the sofa.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:07:12 PM PST

•  Well described. I now have the creeps myself. (2+ / 0-)
      annieli, Garrett

"They come, they come To build a wall between us We know they won't win."--Crowded House, "Don't Dream It's Over."

by Wildthumb on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:08:54 PM PST

•  their coffee does that to me too /nt (1+ / 0-)
        cany

yksitoista ulotteinen presidentin shakki. / tappaa kaikki natsit "Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03) 政治委员, 政委‽ Warning - some snark above ‽

by annieli on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:13:37 PM PST

•  I've had better coffee, but once you get to know (1+ / 0-)
          Cali Scribe

some local young baristas, as I do, it's comfortable to hang out with them.

Besides, I've wound up at a Starbuck's on a date with my wife, and I've got lots of good memories associated with them.

by Wildthumb on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:16:18 PM PST

•  In many areas it's the only coffee place around (1+ / 0-)
            Wildthumb

And even where it isn't, since I'm not a big milk-based coffee drink person (and don't like to spend $4 for a coffee), preferring brewed coffee most of the time, Starbucks is usually the only place where they make a half-decent cup. Plus, free refills!

Honestly, I go there when I need a place to work, and only buy the coffee because it would be rude to just sit there.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:23:16 PM PST

•  I buy a grande blond half-caff usually. It costs (1+ / 0-)
              kovie

under two bucks. And get a free refill. I rarely buy lattes and such anymore. They're the expensive drinks. I haven't had a "four-dollar coffee" in about two years.

by Wildthumb on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:28:00 PM PST

•  I have a tall green mug that costs around (1+ / 0-)
                Wildthumb

$1.75 to fill, with free refills. I usually throw in a quarter tip, so it comes out to two bucks. I go there often enough to get a free drink eventually, and always make sure to get the most expensive thing on the menu, nearly $6.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:35:52 PM PST

•  If someone can be refused service... (0+ / 0-)

...for not wearing a shirt, they should be able to refuse service for carrying a gun.

•  Yeah but do you really want to be the barista (0+ / 0-)

telling an angry-looking guy packing heat to leave the premises?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:00:14 AM PST

•  Oh, I was only talking legally able. (0+ / 0-)

Not realistically.

•  They'd have to have clear signs (0+ / 0-)

And not require employees to do this, for obvious reasons. But we need to start making unnecessary gun ownership and usage socially unacceptable.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777