View Diary: Liability Insurance for Guns (361 comments)

•  Doesn't matter whether you and I agree (4+ / 0-)
    KVoimakas, Miggles, Debby, madhaus

the train is leaving the station on gun regulation...one can get on the train, or stay off...the one thing that someone should not do is stand in front of the train...

And with that, I am out of here...past my bedtime...back in 6 hours or so...

I am a warrior for peace. And not a gentle man... Steve Mason, 1940-2005

by Wayward Wind on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:44:08 AM PST

•  I don't know about you, but the last time (2+ / 0-)
      happy camper, rockhound

someone stood in front of a train as it tried to leave the station, they stopped the train.

Which is what I'm expecting from Congress this time.

I remember seeing the Manchin (spelling?) diary about him praising the NRA after he said we need more good regulations. I think this is what's going to happen. You will see a call to DO SOMETHING and since there's a lot of pressure for it to be about guns, what'll actually happen is...nothing. It'll get filibustered in the Senate or it won't pass the House or the shock and outrage will fade until the next time. Too bad we couldn't use this for something that would A. actually fix the problem and B. actually have a chance of happening.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:49:40 AM PST

•  I'm glad you're so proud of this. (0+ / 0-)

I find it disgusting.

An unsuccessful shoe bomb attack resulted in nine years of inconvenience for every flier in the country. It would be nice to think [this diabolical act] might lead to some similar inconveniences. --mrblifil

by Debby on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:52:31 AM PST

•  Proud? (2+ / 0-)
          rockhound, happymisanthropy

Try disgusted.

We could've used this to push something that actually had a chance of becoming law. We could've tried to push the mental health care angle HARD, especially since parts of the GOP and the NRA are saying "hey mental health..." but instead, we're going to get the same proposals for gun control that will go nowhere and we're right back where we started.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:57:19 AM PST

•  What comes through (1+ / 0-)
            mamamedusa

is your pride that there is nothing we can do about all the guns and all the rounds. If you think you're going to overthrow a tyrannical government that has drones and tanks and missiles with your 30 guns, I laugh! But you keep them in your hands, and in the hands of the crazy man in Indiana who threatened his wife and the school where she worked, and the man in Missouri who shot the people in the barber shop because he misheard what they said, and the asshole who left his loaded handgun in the theatre in Washington, in the spirit of "access."

With all the RBKA members, you could have blanketed the diary list with your ideas but I saw very few. I went into some RBKA diaries and I asked, what can we do? I realize we have to have consensus to more forward. What will you guys lead on? I got condescension and little else. I had hoped we could be allies but I don't see that happening. I'm done seeing it from your side since you all refuse to see if from our side.

by Debby on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:39:50 AM PST

•  I kept a very low profile after this incident (2+ / 0-)
              rockhound, happymisanthropy

because nothing I could've said would've been met with anything but derision. Hell, I didn't say anything and there were still calls for bans of the RKBA group and one particular threat of violence aimed at each individual member of the group.

You know what I would've proposed with regards to gun control?

Absolutely nothing.

Because I don't think it's going to pass. Because I think rural pro-RKBA Dems and members of the GOP won't let it pass. We could've used this momentum to focus on mental health. The GOP would've RAN with it since it would've taken the focus off firearms.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:43:33 AM PST

•  Mental health (0+ / 0-)

and violent video games. Because they don't have those anywhere else. That's the scourge of our American society!

by Debby on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:48:31 AM PST

•  It certainly isn't firearms. (2+ / 0-)
                  rockhound, happymisanthropy

We keep getting compared to other industrialized nations that have things like health care, better social safety nets, and more. It isn't just a one issue thing.

I'd like to point out that if we focused on mental health care, we'd actually be doing something, instead of wasting time, energy, and political capital on gun control that in the end won't be effective if it even passes.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:50:35 AM PST

•  There's the problem (0+ / 0-)
                    It certainly isn't firearms.
                    No acknowledgement of the obvious. Guns don't kill people. BULLSHIT! Yes, there are a lot of contributing factors but you won't even allow that the widespread availability could have ANYTHING to do with it!

There were a lot of people looking for answers the last couple days. There were a few people being unreasonable but the vast majority were just asking questions without derision. But apparently, two or three assholes hurting feelings is enough for your delicate sensibilities. Well, how about treating today as a new day? Put the focus on mental health. We certainly aren't AGAINST that.

by Debby on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 10:44:01 AM PST

•  Maybe you should have said something within RKBA (2+ / 0-)
                tytalus, Debby

Because you're one of the more reasonable members. So instead it was the extremists doing the talking "for" you guys, and that didn't help the perception of how others see the group as a whole.

Newtown shocked everyone.  I can understand taking a low profile but this is the time to push for a different group culture.  Where it was beforehand was not healthy on DKos, as it was the social equivalent of a bunch of yahoos walking into various saloons and shooting into the ceiling because they can and who's gonna stop us, you and what army huh?

If anyone should be offering solutions to avoiding more Newtowns it's you guys.  There's too much "this won't work" and not enough "how about this instead?"