View Diary: Darden Restaurants profit drops 37% after backlash against its Obamacare threats (204 comments)

•  This is a bigger deal than we think. (35+ / 0-)

This has to do with the corporate practice Wal-Mart is known for:  give your employees so few hours that they have to supplement with the public dole.  These unfortunate employees have to go to medicaid, medicare, welfare and food stamps to survive.

That mean WE are all paying for these employees when these corporations have plenty of money to treat them properly, what with their record profits and all.

This practice is an insidious form of corporate welfare.  They need to know it isn't just their threats about Obama Care that we don't like.  We don't like supporting their employees when they are fully positioned to do so themselves.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth - Abraham Lincoln

by Gustogirl on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:36:51 PM PST

•  It's the corporate way (14+ / 0-)

Privatize the profits (and lobby for even more tax avoidance schemes) and socialize the losses - even the ones you deliberately incur by underpaying and underemploying your workers.

Boycott WalMart and Sams Club until they get the message (Sam, I think, would approve).

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 11:42:15 PM PST

•  Not only that, the employees are demoralized (11+ / 0-)

By the crap they have to deal with to get that social program help. Every form has a threat of fines and jailing, and you have to come up with copies of bills, income information, and anything else that pertains to seeing how much you have. If you miss a paper, you get nothing until you find it.

It's very anxiety producing.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 02:46:37 AM PST

•  It just cost me $50 more to buy a gift. (8+ / 0-)

We are buying my dad a TV and Walmart has it for $50 cheaper. It is well worth it to me to spend another $50 rather than walk through the Walmart doors. I have not been in their store for 10 years!

Republicans piss on you and tell you it's raining, Democrats hand you an umbrella!

by Nica24 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 08:34:50 AM PST

•  I have also finally pulled the plug (8+ / 0-)

on Walmart.  I was always able to live in denial because I thought that it was more important to save the money (I was raised to be thrifty) but there are other costs involved.

I stopped going when they converted the normal walmart in our town to a super walmart.  It is so strange to go in there because it is so clean, new, and beautiful yet everyone in the store, the management, the shoppers and the employees are just miserable.  It was suck a stark contrast.

Everyone should have the opportunity to shop at Costco.  The problem is that it is expensive to get started for some people.  I know because I couldn't afford a membership or to buy in bulk when I was slightly less poor than I am now.

•  Walmart has been blocked (3+ / 0-)
          Danali, bepanda, RUNDOWN

in NJ from opening superstores, we have strong grocery store chains who are unionized (except for Genaurdis, which is finally going out of business in my neighborhood, why pay higher prices when it's not for the good of the employees). I haven't been in our Walmart for over 10yrs., my sister worked there and I know how bad it is! But I was just informed that our Walmart actually expanded into a superstore without calling it a superstore, to get around our local restrictions. They are reprehensible.

by Nica24 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 10:21:40 AM PST

•  Update, Best Buy had it for $20 less (0+ / 0-)

then Walmart!

by Nica24 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:42:54 AM PST

•  Agree, this is beyond some idiotic statements (2+ / 0-)
      bepanda, RUNDOWN

This is an opportunity to change the way America thinks and start getting off this road to becoming a 21st century banana republic that we've been on for the last 30 years.

•  Just a feature of Obamacare (2+ / 0-)
      Vatexia, Peter in Seattle

It's just part of the plan which was written to benefit Walmart et al.  I am no longer shocked.  That was the design for "shared responsibility."  Marcy has a good read at Emptywheel.  Why does everyone continue to support these shills who produced the ACA while throwing single payer under the bus?  Is anyone really shocked?  Marcy called out the Max Tax when it was first rolled out.  A bunch of folks here said it would never work like that.  Ha ha.

•  Walmart's ACA (0+ / 0-)

Walmart Takes Advantage...

Walmart, after all, was one of the partners behind the push for ObamaCare. In fact, as things started to drag in summer 2009, WalMart partnered with Center for American Progress and SEIU to try to nudge the process along. While the letter signed by the heads of all three organizations preaches of “shared responsibility,” it also talks of removing “the burden that is crushing America’s businesses” and an employer mandate that does not “create barriers to hiring entry level employees” (as workers forced into part time unskilled positions are sometimes facetiously called).

Walmart gave ObamaCare a lot of credibility back in 2009. It was clear then what the payoff was going to be. And they’re cashing in now: by making the poverty wages they pay their employees the trick to get us to pay their employee health insurance, rather than the billionaire Waltons who can afford it.

I guess that’s what Walmart believes constitutes “shared responsibility.”

Update: In other “I told you so” news, Liz Fowler–the former Wellpoint exec who wrote this legislation for Baucus–is headed back to industry to cash in.

Cue the outrage...