View Diary: Abbreviated pundit round-up: ATF needs beefing up and a boss to get a handle on guns (43 comments)

•  All too true, sadly (14+ / 0-)
    Rape and sexual violence against women are endemic everywhere. Shocked by what happened in India? Take a look at France, that prosperous bastion of European civilisation. In 1999, two then-teenagers – named only as Nina and Stephanie – were raped almost every day for six months. Young men would queue up to rape them, patiently waiting for their friends to finish in secluded basements. After a three-week trial this year, 10 of the 14 accused left the courtroom as free men; the other four were granted lenient sentences of one year at most.
    A friend of mine once wrote a term paper for college about why men beat their wives.  (She herself had been the victim of repeated beatings before she found the courage to leave.)  Her conclusion:  Why do men beat their wives?  Because they know they can get away with it.

I think she had it right.  Why do men (not all, of course, but a certain element) rape?  Because they know they can get away with it.

Women are devalued and our lives are held to be cheap.  I've heard it said that the lowest man in the world knows he's higher (in social status) than the highest woman.

If all women could be taught from early childhood to defend themselves, and if women could be elected in large numbers--say 50 percent--to be legislators, we'd have a chance of stopping this.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."--Napoleon

by Diana in NoVa on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 04:48:23 AM PST

•  Actually I think that rather than just an emphasis (7+ / 0-)

on women defending themselves, we also need to have a "stand your ground" law for abused women where they won't be sentenced to life for fighting back and extremely tough sentences for rape and abuse and heavier penalties for harassment.

In this country we go apeshit over an ounce of dope but allow pedophiles to go free. We go absolutely hysterical over some poor woman that flips out and kills her child but yawn when some bastard kills his wife and/or child. (and if he plays football we can always feel sorry for him if he takes his own life as well!)

But we won't come to a balance in this country until we actually have a representative government that is forced to reflect the actual society they are supposed to govern. We now have a rethug congress that represents the rural society and a senate heavily leaning toward less populated states. They cannot possibly find common cause with women when there is not a majority (which is what our population has) of women.

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:29:13 AM PST

•  It would help enormously (6+ / 0-)

if laws were changed to abolish the statutes of limitation on rape.  There is no reason, in this day and age of DNA identification, for there to be any statute of limitations on rape at all, including marital rape.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 06:09:38 AM PST

•  What does 'rural' have to do with the abuses (0+ / 0-)

you listed?

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 08:41:22 AM PST

•  Rural voters vote for authoritarians (0+ / 0-)

and authoritarians tend to side with the perpetrator in domestic disputes.

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 11:39:36 AM PST

•  Uh-huh (0+ / 0-)

Any links? Or are you just going to stick to moronic stereotypes?
             While you are at it, tell me about how much you support the Bill of Rights........all of the amendments.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 06:43:22 PM PST

•  Having partially grown up in a very very (0+ / 0-)

small Okie town and moving back and forth into TX and NM I had very much the ability to see what the differences were. And while it is true that TX has very much descended into authoritarianism itself, while I was young it was very much a hodgepodge of large and small towns. The small town in Oklahoma was very insular. And in the 50's it still retained the law that blacks could not stay over night within its limits. And it really was a useless law cause there were no blacks there that I saw. But still the bigotry was parroted constantly through that town. In Amarillo, on the other hand, my mother hired a black woman to baby sit me while she worked. And I felt very at ease with her being only 3 at the time. And, though I felt very free to go where I wanted and do what I wanted in both locations it was most definitely true that in the small town people were hyper aware of what everybody else was doing. I would often get feedback from my grandma about how incensed some people were about my shorts.

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 01:19:04 PM PST

•  Nothing like anecdotal evidence with a sample size (0+ / 0-)

of 3....in the 1950s......in a small geographic area.....
                Allow me to question your methodology.

1) If someone told you that they had met 3...whites or blacks or Hispanics, and they thought they were stupid/lazy/prone to authoritarianism....would you find that convincing?
                I certainly wouldn't.

2) If my example of the well-established knowledge that anecdotal evidence is unreliable, then allow me to present my own:  I have lived in 12 small towns, and found them not authoritarian at all.
                As 12>3, and it is based on a time more recent than 1950, we can only conclude that my anecdotal evidence 'trumps' yours.

3) You know what is an example of being 'prone to authoritarianism? Supporting infringing on Individual Constitutional Rights.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 02:12:57 PM PST

•  Being allowed to stay overnight in a small (0+ / 0-)

town might be considered a constitutional right. But you are entitled to your experiences and I am entitled to mine.

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 02:27:05 PM PST

•  Whaaaa? (0+ / 0-)

Yes, you are entitled to your experiences. And you are free to be an ignorant bigot.
                    And I am free to question you upon it.

"stay overnight in a small town might be considered a constitutional right"
                    Not catching your meaning here.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 02:30:05 PM PST