View Diary: The rise of LED light bulbs (218 comments)

•  LED bulbs piss me off (4+ / 0-)

They're all made for ambient mood lighting bullshit.  If I want a light for reading, I still have to use an incadescent of at least 200W.

I realize most Americans can't read, but surely there must be enough demand for brighter LEDs?  All I want is something on the order of 3500 to 4000 lumens.  I have ONE reading light in my house, it's not like I have the whole place lit up with megawatt bulbs.

I've actually decided to build my own damn LED bulb.  The hardest part is the driver, the rest is just mounting LEDs on heatsinks and wiring everything up.  It's pricey, but if it lasts for the expected lifespan of the LEDs, the long term cost will be less than incadescents.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:22:24 PM PST

•  I like very bright, cold clear light (3+ / 0-)
      Chi, KenBee, BYw

Especially for reading, unlike some people I guess. My CFL reading bulbs are rated 5700K or something, on the blue end. And their lumen output is similar to a 200W incandescent.

The LED canister we installed in our kitchen over the sink is extremely bright and "cold" and I love it that way, though I'm glad it's dimmable for when I don't need to see the microbes.

I don't have an LED reading bulb yet, but I am certain they are out there. Keep hunting?

I love it that Obama's channeling Harry Truman: "I don't give 'em hell; I just tell the truth and they think it's hell!"

by sillia on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:48:08 PM PST

•  Same here, for reading (1+ / 0-)
        sillia

high temp (cool blue) is my favorite.

It's actually interesting making my own LED bulb.  I should have time to finish it after Christmas, and if it works I'll probably outfit my kitchen with LED track lighting.  Anyhow, there's no limit to how bright I can go, it comes down to how much light I need.  Even at insane lumen outputs, the LED "bulb" I'm making would use less power than a reading incadescent bulb.

I'm also building my own LED flashlight for home defense.  Flash it in someone's face, and it will blind them momentarily, giving my time to whack 'em with it.  I don't really need anything for home defense, but I like the idea of a flashlight bright enough to blind people.  :)

by Subterranean on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:56:37 AM PST

•  The geeks shall inherit the earth... (0+ / 0-)

especially if they weaponize their emergency lighting!

My home defense plan is let them take whatever they want. I am worried they won't get much cash out of my 1989 radio tuner or any of the other outmoded electronics. They can have my opera CD's those may be worth something...

Actually around here if things get stolen it's usually big equipment, like front-end loaders, you know, useful stuff. When we first moved here I used to get very puzzled at news reports describing major parts from state-owned road equipment that were stolen during the night. It seems to me thieves here at least have a good work ethic and a do-it-yourself attitude.

I'm also impressed when I hear about thieves who have pulled copper pipes out of an abandoned home. That at least shows initiative. Must be pretty hard work for sort of a medium payoff.

by sillia on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 01:19:22 PM PST

•  My primary home defense is a dog (1+ / 0-)
            sillia

but if the intruder actually knew my dog he would laugh and go right on with whatever he's doing.  My dog is a rescue puppy who hides behind me whenever strangers appear.  She does have a pretty good bark, though.

That's the main problem with an LED flashlight: I can't use it around my dog because it could damage her eyesight.  With incadescent lights, they turn on slowly enough for eyelids to snap shut in time to protect the retina.  An LED lights up instantly, giving the eye no time to take protective measures.  I accidentally glanced at the LED when I tested it and ended up with a spot in my vision for a few hours.  I go out at night with my dog, I might have to get her shaded goggles or something, lol.

by Subterranean on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 02:20:59 PM PST

•  Your dog sounds very nice (0+ / 0-)

From a business standpoint, I think thieves are likely to pass by a place if there's a barking dog, just because it's more hassle and potentially dangerous. They'll do the easier places first...have to consider your hourly rate to be a profitable thief.

That's interesting about the LED flashlight being hazardous for eyesight. I wonder if most people know this? Maybe you could do a diary about this, or post in the Pootie/Woozle diaries.
              I think it would make sense to keep a non-LED flashlight for dogwalking...different generations of tech for different purposes. Like why I need my older computers around, my old modems, etc...you never know, LOL!

Anyway, I wonder if a screen or filter over the LED's would prevent the hazard but still leave the flashlight bright enough to be useful? Like maybe even a strip of the window-filtering stuff. Easy to tape in place, might work?

by sillia on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 05:38:39 PM PST

•  That's the major issue... (0+ / 0-)

They're getting better and brighter and the spectrum is improving, but they still don't have good replacement bulbs for the higher power incandescents.

Internally, the LED bulbs need a big honking hot power supply to drive the LEDs (usually several volts, sometimes they're hooked together in series), and keeping the whole thing cool is the major limitation.

•  Well, for the really big ones eventually (0+ / 0-)

you will be able to go to laser lighting (which uses a laser and something to widen the beam) like some of the newer cars are.  But then again, do you want people to have easy access (just open it up and bypass the safety lockouts) to a multi-watt Class IV laser.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 08:06:51 PM PST

•  I just checked superbrightleds.com (1+ / 0-)
      KenBee

They have an 800 lumen household bulb, far dimmer than what you're after. Their directionality helps: that 800 lumens is not being spread out in a sphere.

•  But, But (0+ / 0-)

Everything you read comes with backlighting, right?

Oh, yeah. You must be reading paper. Well, that's different. I remember that. Yes, you practically needed sunlight.

I could offer you five of these 800 lumen critters, but I think you'd bulk at the price. However, if you are making your own, then I'm sure people will be buying them from you, not the other way around.

•  LOL, I wouldn't sell one (0+ / 0-)

Major liability issues.  I'm being very cautious in the design, but it's still not something I'd leave on when not present.

I do have a reader tablet, but I still have my book collection, and there are all the used books I buy.  A used book is still cheaper than an eBook, and I love the smell.

by Subterranean on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:59:02 AM PST