View Diary: A Message to NRA President Wayne LaPierre: How Dare You? (144 comments)

•  I hope LaPierre keeps beating up on gamers. (5+ / 0-)

That's like, everyone under the age of forty.

Keep it up moron. Alienate every young voter in the country.

Disclaimer: I'm well over forty and recognize the sickness in COD and other first person shooters. I just think they're more a symptom than a cause of our sick Rambo/Dirty Harry culture.

Reaganomics noun pl: belief that unregulated capitalism can produce unlimited goods for unlimited people on a planet with finite resources and we the people can increase revenue by decreasing revenue.

by FrY10cK on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:59:55 PM PST

•  I disagree. (5+ / 0-)

There is no 'sickness' in COD or violent games. Evil lives in the skin.

Take it from a 22 year old who has grown up watching Columbine, Virginia Tech, 9/11, the DC sniper, the collapse of the financial markets, the closing down of favorite childhood mom and pop stores, the monetization of everything enjoyable, the degradation of education, the rise of the cost of everything and the stagnation of pay.

People need an outlet. It's better to mow down virtual people a la 'No Russian' than it is to do it in real life.

I've played violent games my whole life, from Streets of Rage on Sega to Far Cry 3 which is sitting in my disc tray now.

I've dismembered Nazis, tortured people for information, assassinated unsuspecting individuals for profit, burned down villages, blown up aircraft carriers and helicopters. Sniped ambulance drivers from the roofs of buildings. Chainsawed prostitutes to death after banging them in a back alley, and took their money so that in case I died in a shoot out with the cops later (taking them out by the handful with an RPG) I'd have enough money to pay my medical bill.

Do I own a gun? No. Do I hurt people? No. Do I support strict gun laws? Yes. Do I think people come back to life after they take a bullet to the head? No.

It's a release and a check on the psyche as well as entertainment.

I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.

by ReverseThePolarity on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 05:24:20 AM PST

•  Waht the fuck have we come to that (4+ / 0-)

THAT is considered fun and entertaining?  Your self-described "stability" aside, that shit is twisted all the way around.

David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

by PsychoSavannah on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 05:59:43 AM PST

•  Why? (1+ / 0-)
          OhioNatureMom

It's not real. Why is that so hard for people who don't play games to understand? Of course it's fun and entertaining. Why are action movies or horror movies or books entertaining? It's not different because you're holding a controller. The difference for me, personally: I can't watch gory movies because it involves real people, even if it's just acting (like Saw or Nightmare on Elm Street).

It's always been fun. Destruction is fun. Explosions are pretty. It's in our DNA. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for cataclysmic amounts of destruction. You wouldn't be here if it weren't for people killing other people. Except that was for real.

Regardless the visuals always take a backseat to the objectives.

I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.

by ReverseThePolarity on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 06:21:30 AM PST

•  RTP, for some, reality blurs|s|s|s|s (0+ / 0-)

In 2007 I had a young co-worker take a maple yard stick and hack another co-worker with it, across the back.

Worker A was blocked by Worker B, who was futzing/conversing and not really paying attention to the quiet "lemmeby lemmeBY"

When dropped to the floor, Worker A, now zip-tied admitted to 3 nights of marathon RP Gaming (WoW) with left-coasters.
            Sleep deprived, and later admitting to having smoked some chronic laced with dust before work, he slipped into "kill the Orcs" mode.

Sleep deprived + Gaming + Weed and PCP = assault with an object of opportunity.

Worker B, was transported to the hospital, with an 18 inch open wound, and remained under physician care for over 3 months due to extensive muscular damage, and a compression fracture.

So - it's not you.  It may be others.  Just like I haven't gone out and mowed-down a crowd of anyone with a gun - yet others have done so.

For some, impulse control is weak.
            Add factors where what control is there, is removed (s.d., alcohol, drugs or psychiatric issues) and you have a recipe for assault and homicide.

•  You sound like my son. (3+ / 0-)

He is the sweetest, kindest kid (well, he's 24 but still my kid!) and he plays those games. When I expressed some concern over this, he said basically what you said. He lives in Texas now, and the people he works with can't believe he's never fired a "real" gun, let alone own one. It doesn't interest him in the least.

Friends don't let friends vote Republican.

by OhioNatureMom on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 06:14:31 AM PST

•  To each his own. (0+ / 0-)

n/t