View Diary: Robert Reich recommends going over cliff but pressuring GOP to overcome its extremist fanatic wing (28 comments)

•  How Crazee Is the GOP Exactly? (13+ / 0-)

That seems to be the question. Are they willing to seriously damage the world economy to defend their childishly simplistic views on fiscal policy? No one seems to know -- and this is the risk -- that they might in fact do it.

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 02:23:03 PM PST

•  More (10+ / 0-)

This comment was my response to this Reich quote from the article:

Obama could decide going over the cliff isn’t so bad after all – as long as he and congressional Democrats introduce legislation early in the 2013 that gives a tax cut to the middle class retroactively to January 1st (extending the Bush tax cut to the first $250,000 of income) and restores most spending — and Republicans feel compelled to go along.
      What exactly will compel them to go along?

I wonder.

Regardless, I think Reich is correct about going over the cliff. If you look at this from a strategic perspective, there is probably not any other good response.

If the Dems capitulate, the demands from the GOP will just be that much crazier next time.

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 02:27:18 PM PST

•  Crazy & evil or just plain evil? (2+ / 0-)
      HoundDog, chantedor
      •  oh, so very clearly (8+ / 0-)

all of the above.  The GOP has been the party of Satan for my entire adult life...and I'm not that young anymore.

Think I've exaggerated?  Whose Bible says that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven?

I didn't write that one.

To make the argument that the media has a left- or right-wing, or a liberal or a conservative bias, is like asking if the problem with Al-Qaeda is do they use too much oil in their hummus. Al Franken

by Youffraita on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 02:43:29 PM PST

•  Heh. "Party of Satan." They did change their logo (3+ / 0-)
          a2nite, Youffraita, chantedor

back in 2000 or so to have the five-pointed star, as on the US flag, pointing downward. Making the "goat-head" symbol which their voters have long seen as a declaration of Satanic sympathies.

The best thing about being a Republican loyalist is that you NEVER experience cognitive dissonance.

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 03:59:20 PM PST

•  Let 'em do it, bink. (1+ / 0-)
      HoundDog

Let 'em.  And then drive home the point at every opportunity: The crazy Tea Bag GOP did this to you.

Keep driving it home: Your problems were all caused by the Crazy TeaHadists of the GOP.

We know this meme will work.  It will even work with likely GOP voters as long as they turn off Fox.

by Youffraita on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 02:41:05 PM PST

•  If my dad is any indication of the GOPers (3+ / 0-)
      Creosote, radarlady, CherryTheTart

they are batshit crazy.  Absolutely he would gladly damage the rest of the world to defend his bizarre FOX painted image of the world - because nothing matters other than the USA being "the way it used to be."  Period.

My father is not a dumb man, but he takes his marching orders from FOX because it reinforces his fear of everything not white and Fuck Yeah, America!

I wasn't raised that way - but every single member of my immediate family is not only a FOX fanatic but a birther - and that is just the TIP of the GOP iceberg in this house.

And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

by Mortifyd on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 07:53:01 PM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • International (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site