View Diary: White privilege and Sandy Hook (490 comments)

•  I have to agree, Cocoa. (18+ / 0-)

Fatal shootings are just one way America ignores dead black children.

I remember being a small kid in the very early 80s. Around that time, more than 25 black children had been found murdered or were still missing in Atlanta. But the biggest news story I can remember was about Adam Walsh; ONE white kid.

As a child, I was just as concerned about Adam as I was the black children but obviously the media was not. As black kids in Cleveland (many of our folks are migrants from Georgia), we dealt with the Atlanta Child Murders with folklore. Rumors started to spread about serial killers of children hiding in trees. The whispers in the classroom and the running full speed home from school lasted for months. We felt terrorized as if child killers were lurking behind every bush.

But the only kid we heard about on the news was Adam.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 06:11:38 AM PST

•  (happy holidays twinner) it's crazy how memory (8+ / 0-)

works.

a) I could swear that the prez has indeed addressed the inner city thing.  it's just that when he did, he was accused from some quarters of talking down.  I remember The Right Reverend Jackson wanted to chop his nuts off or something.

b) I remember the Atlanta Child Murders being a big deal.  maybe just in my household/family.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 06:24:23 AM PST

•  not just your household/family, mally (1+ / 0-)
        mallyroyal

the Birmingham Baptist bombing was a huge deal in my family too. And we knew with certainty that nobody's children were safe (or free) until all children were.

...we didn't even have internet to tell us these things

imagine that

"Show up. Pay attention. Tell the truth. And don't be attached to the results." -- Angeles Arrien

by Sybil Liberty on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 06:52:59 AM PST

•  Happy Presents Day, Twinsito! (2+ / 0-)
        AoT, mallyroyal

To tell you the truth, I had forgotten all about that Rev. JJ stuff.

The Atlanta Child Murders---Somehow a story began to circulate in Cleveland about a child killer known as "The Green Lady". Her backstory was that she was angry at black children because a black boy pushed her white daughter into a pool where she drowned. Her revenge was that she wore green clothes to camo herself in trees and bushes so she can jump out and kill unsuspecting black kids walking to/from school.

Think about a popular horror movie from that time. A woman bent on revenge because some camp counselors let her son drown...ring a bell? lol

It's amazing the way folklore and rumors start. I always remember these stories because it illustrates to me the way a community has to protect itself when no authority gives a damn.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 07:16:06 AM PST

•  yes. The Atlanta killings were not ignored... (1+ / 0-)
        mallyroyal

...as I remember it.

by Meteor Blades on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 12:46:32 PM PST

•  I Remember the Difference too (3+ / 0-)
      mallyroyal, Chitown Kev, labouchet

It wasn't until Wayne Williams was caught, tried and convicted that you really saw a whole lot of media.  And even then, it wasn't about the children killed.  It was about this particular insane man.

•  I was an adult at the time and I remember (1+ / 0-)
      mallyroyal

the Atlanta killings--I don't recall ever hearing of Adam Walsh except in passing, as the background story of the "America's Most Wanted" host. I remember reading frequently about terror wreaked in Atlanta, the speculation about whether some racist organization was behind the killings in Atlanta, and the shock when a black suspect was arrested based on fiber evidence...that story certainly got plenty of play nationwide (I lived in the Boston area at the time). Did you live in the local area where the Adam Walsh thing happened?

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 01:42:19 PM PST