View Diary: Proof of Heaven (664 comments)

•  Timaeus is always like this (8+ / 0-)

He can't stand having his beliefs questioned.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:53:21 AM PST

•  Timaeus' beliefs are very important to him. (7+ / 0-)

I would not begrudge them to him, especially in this instance when they are helping him to face a frightening situation.  It doesn't seem like this is something we should be fighting about let alone being mean over.  I have my beliefs, Timaeus has his etc.  we are not going to change each others minds.  I'm glad Timaeus has something to lean on.

I am a complete and total atheist who believes that religion has done more damage to mankind than any other single issue.  I don't want Timaeus or anyone else to convert to my beliefs.  I come down on the side of, I don't have to respect the belief, but I should respect the individual's right to have it.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:30:13 AM PST

•  I have no problem (3+ / 0-)
        Darmok, Scott Wooledge, tytalus

with his beliefs, I have issues with the way he chooses to express them to other people.

by skohayes on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 01:51:16 PM PST

•  I think everyone should be kind to each other. (0+ / 0-)

I do it with middling success.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:26:35 PM PST

•  He wrote a beautiful diary and others came (0+ / 0-)

in with their arrogant, intolerant, know it all selves and sprinkled ugly all over it.

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:51:25 PM PST

•  He insulted atheists right there in the diary (5+ / 0-)

and then got all pissed when atheists responded.  He brought the ugly with him and then expanded it by calling for atheists to be "put to the metaphorical sword" whatever that might be.

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:57:14 PM PST

•  Sorry, I am not seeing where he insulted atheists. (1+ / 0-)
              Timaeus

Timaeus has a short fuse and I don't always agree with him but I think people went out of their way to provoke him.
              We don't have to fight over every little thing.

by JoanMar on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:59:54 PM PST

•  Here you go (5+ / 0-)
                Of course, the fundamentalist atheists like Sam Harris are gathering like locusts, insulting and attacking and mocking (as you can see if you just google "Eben Alexander").  They don't like having their religious faith questioned.  They're wrong.
                Or is comparing atheists to locusts not enough of an insult?

by AoT on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 04:06:06 PM PST

•  OK. Point. Were you personally offended? (0+ / 0-)

by JoanMar on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 04:07:58 PM PST

•  I was, mainly because (5+ / 0-)
                    JoanMar, TFinSF, corvo, tytalus, skohayes

I see these sorts of attacks on atheists all the time and have them leveled against myself on a regular basis as well.

I probably should have been more level headed and less aggressive, but it's hard when you see these things over and over and over.

by AoT on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 04:17:06 PM PST

•  Coming in days later just now reading this (0+ / 0-)

I was offended by the paragraph quoted above.  Not for the locust comparison, but the outrageous sweeping aside of an entire philosophy with "They're wrong."

Those were fighting words.  You're basically saying it's okay for a religious person to assert that non-believers are "wrong" in a diary?

•  Bullshit (0+ / 0-)