View Diary: Monday Night Cancer Club: 50 Years of Followups? Young adults w/cancer (62 comments)

•  A friend of mine just told me he had the same (8+ / 0-)

diagnosis--cancer of the eyeball. He had something sucked out I think, and was hoping he would still be able to see okay. Sounds scary. I hope it works out well for you.

•  Isn't that something? (6+ / 0-)

Until I received this cancer dx myself I had no idea whatsoever that it's possible to get cancer no matter where. Of course, no reason why not--but it is so unsettling somehow.
      I once knew a small child (his parents really) who was diagnosed with some sort of blastoma of the eye when he was a toddler. Removed the eye and that was all that was necessary. Scary but a relief to have a "simple" treatment. Or so I assume. He'd be in his late twenties now, and I never knew his parents well.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:21:27 PM PST

•  The kids at the specialty clinic for eye cancer (9+ / 0-)

Are the toughest people there. Most are toddlers and many have a prosthetic eye already. Those hurt. A lot. Constantly.

(if you're squeamish, move ahead to the next comment)

So while it's a relief to isolate and remove the cancer, sphere removal is a last resort in today's ocular oncology.

With melanomas of the eye, there is no survival advantage to ooectomty so it's rarely done anymore, unless the lesion is under the eyelids.

The conjunctiva is the white part of the eyeball and the red part when you flip up your lid...which is where the sucking comes in. The entire surface needs to be chemically treated to eliminate melanoma cells.

Parent. Entrepreneur. Cancer patient. Moose tracker.

by PhoenixRising on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:30:23 PM PST

•  Hmmm. I did not know that a prosthetic eye (7+ / 0-)

would be painful, but now that you say it, of course it seems obvious. All prostheses are make-do, no matter how good.
          I guess that continues to be a mixed blessing for long-time survivors of cancer: when the new treatments come along, sometimes not that much later in someone's course of treatment than what had just been used as cutting-edge, then I can imagine it might engender a bit of wistfulness, at least, among those who barely missed the innovation. I certainly hope to reach that stage, however, no second-guessing about it.

by peregrine kate on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:48:00 PM PST

•  I want to thank you so much for this diary. (2+ / 0-)
          peregrine kate, Avila

Talking about how to stop mass shootings in the aftermath of a string of mass shootings isn’t "too soon." It’s much too late.
          ~~ Ezra Klein

by smileycreek on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 11:26:36 PM PST

•  Yeah, there's definitely sucking involved. (9+ / 0-)

Hope he's getting great care. My 2nd biggest worry was losing my vision, and I'm back to 20/15 in both eyes.

What he may want to ask about is scar tissue management. For me, that got left by the wayside in all the excitement of the call from the lab. Pain is constant and will persist for the rest of my life...which I'm expecting to be several decades.

Parent. Entrepreneur. Cancer patient. Moose tracker.

by PhoenixRising on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:22:43 PM PST

•  How helpful to make that suggestion, PR. (8+ / 0-)

There's so much more I wish I'd known earlier in my treatment and recovery. It's very difficult to get up to speed; never seems like you can get ahead.

by peregrine kate on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:30:21 PM PST

•  I swear they always skip that part, no matter (6+ / 0-)

where the scar may be.

I learned about working to prevent scar tissue after a hernia surgery. I learned about it from my chiropractor.

The scars from my cancer can really impact the movement of my arm. One of the three physical therapists I tried out was a bit irritated with the docs.

She explained that it's obvious from other scars on my body how I am going to heal and that they should have planned for management to start immediately.

Well, now I know. As you say, I am the one who  cares the most.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 06:08:07 PM PST

•  So true for paradise50. (4+ / 0-)

Fortunately he ran into an acquaintance who'd also had massive neck radiation for lymph nodes.  She told him the fibrosis from the radiation would get progressively worse over the next year and would be the hardest part to deal with.  He's now getting rolfing every week to deal with the fibrosis and we work with the scar tissue in his neck and shoulder every night.  But no medical person told us this would be a major issue going forward.

~~ Ezra Klein