View Diary: Monday Night Cancer Club: 50 Years of Followups? Young adults w/cancer (62 comments)

•  Hi MNCCers! (9+ / 0-)

I'm still at work completing the last couple of items for the year.

I'm hoping to get some comments from other younger cancer patients, maybe even someone who can talk from an informed perspective about the many outdoor and support groups targeted for young folks.

Parent. Entrepreneur. Cancer patient. Moose tracker.

by PhoenixRising on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:18:31 PM PST

•  I am not young but Gilda's Club really targets (6+ / 0-)

young folks. They have teen stuff as well as younger kids.

The club that I go to have a "Noogie Land" for the little ones and a cool hang out room for teens, with TV's, games, foose ball, etc.

They have special support groups as well.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 06:11:46 PM PST

•  There are a couple of challenge course style (6+ / 0-)

programs for young adult survivors. I haven't explored them for myself because I'm at the stage of life where...well, as my sig line implies, I get to celebrate my recovery by taking my kid out in the camper. (We plan to publish a blog of moose photos in a few years, when she's ready to take her turn driving.)

I'm assuming that if I were still in the stage of launching the career and building the family, some kind of outdoor experience with other survivors would be meaningful. But mainly that's because I'd rather be outdoors, anytime!

Parent. Entrepreneur. Cancer patient. Moose tracker.

by PhoenixRising on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 06:34:30 PM PST

•  Yes, I've seen them recently. (5+ / 0-)

They look appealing even if I'm not in the target demographic ;)
          One of the worst and most enduring effects (so far) of my cancer and its treatment has been fatigue. I am just now feeling strong enough to tackle something more strenuous than yoga and qi gong. Soon I hope to participate in a local "LiveStrong" rehab program to help regain my strength.
          It's hard enough now (early 50s) to deal with this early weakness; I think I would have had even more difficulty accepting it and then figuring out how to respond 20 years ago, when I was much more fit.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 07:08:50 PM PST

•  Check out this coming year's schedule (6+ / 0-)

This camp for kids also runs spring and fall camps for women with lady part cancers.

My mom had last September's camp in her mind as a fallback in case she was unable to fly (lymphedema from her cervical cancer, diagnosed the day I returned from the first followup scan; yes, we certainly are one lucky family).

Happily, she bounced back enough in her symptoms that we were able to deliver her dream of taking her kids and our kids to Hawaii for her 70th instead. She's back at work this month part time, because she needs the money! Which is a great problem to have, 370 days after a stage III diagnosis.

Parent. Entrepreneur. Cancer patient. Moose tracker.

by PhoenixRising on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 07:22:25 PM PST

•  That's a great link, thanks! (5+ / 0-)

I must say I am relieved that there is something for women not limited to those with breast cancer. I don't know if I can take part this summer, but it looks very interesting indeed.

How wonderful that your mother's health is better and that you could all enjoy a fabulous birthday trip. But what an awful stretch that must have been for all of you last fall. A Stage III dx is not pleasant, not pleasant at all. Good for you both that you're doing so well a mere 370 days later.

by peregrine kate on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 07:41:02 PM PST