View Diary: The problem with Chuck Hagel (216 comments)

•  But those are all good questions (3+ / 0-)
    winsock, poco, IM

for any potential nominee. And we wouldn't know the answers to most for anyone until a confirmation hearing.

And there are quite a few Dems who would probably not have great answers to a lot of Scott's questions.

To me, the best endorsement for Bagel is that the neocons are throwing such a hissy fit to oppose him. The enemy of my enemy, etc.

You never trust a millionaire/Quoting the sermon on the mount/I used to think I was not like them/But I'm beginning to have my doubts -- The Arcade Fire

by tomjones on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:26:22 PM PST

•  One right wing bloviator on the teevee said (3+ / 0-)
      davidincleveland, politicalceci, IM

that he feared Hagel was too inclined to cut the military budget.

Also, this argument

What is this supposed outcome, Israel is attacked and America shrugs? We stop sending foreign aid? We stop sharing intelligence and arms? None of this is going to happen no matter who is Def Sec.
      begs the real question, which is what does the US do when Bibi starts mobilizing to attack Iran?

That said, IMO Hagel's positions on social and environmental issues are disqualifying.

There's no such thing as a free market!

by Albanius on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:32:16 PM PST

•  What are his current positions? nt (0+ / 0-)

by tomjones on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:54:28 PM PST

•  Gates wanted to cut the military budget (1+ / 0-)
        4Freedom

Congress overroad him. So, I don't much see why if your big issue is defense spending Congress needs to fear any Def Sec.

"The marriage fight is over when we say it's over, and it's over when we win."—Dan Savage

by Scott Wooledge on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 07:16:20 PM PST

•  But it is going to happen. (1+ / 0-)
          helpImdrowning

As the wars wind down, so does the off-budget discretionary spending, a big chunk of which is Congressional pork, and the DoD will not completely escape the looming budgetary cuts over the next decade or so.

In fact, Gates was pretty tough and did a pretty good job of facing down subordinates in the Pentagon and some fellow Republicans in Congress on specific programs. So has Panetta.

Whomever takes the office will have to do even more, so ideally, it's someone smart enough, tough enough and with thick enough Teflon coating to hose off the crap after every meeting with Congressional leaders and committee members of all political persuasions.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 04:39:44 AM PST

•  Indeed. (2+ / 0-)
        Nada Lemming, helpImdrowning

What scares some of Hagel's Republican opponents is he would cut budgets.

Ideally, whomever gets the job will do that and will face vilification from Congressional pork eaters on both sides.

Questions is, would it be a bad idea to let a Republican (not necessarily Hagel) walk that plank?

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 04:29:56 AM PST

•  How much of that is, (0+ / 0-)

"Please don't toss me in the briar patch" (if you'll forgive the Uncle Remus reference)? Maybe they want Hagel because he might be questionable when it comes to Israel, but he's the right person to crack down on those evil gays and complaining women. And that doesn't even discuss the continuing assumption that only Republicans are strong on national defense/security, despite the fact that it was a Democratic administration that finally tracked down bin Laden.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 07:13:38 PM PST