View Diary: So I go into my favorite pizza buffet.. (updated) (377 comments)

•  Bad form for him to carry without a holster... (1+ / 0-)
    lyvwyr101

But I wouldn't describe him as a "ticking bomb." He was clearly there to enjoy dinner with his family, just like you. He's not a maniac just because he chooses to carry a weapon.

That said, his method of carrying was sloppy, and you're right, would have made it very easy for someone with bad intentions to seize his weapon.

•  This is just what I do not understand - Why in the (20+ / 0-)

hell should I expect when I walk into a restaurant to have dinner, to have to deal with fellow patrons carrying guns? We were driving down 37 today towards Bodega and there were 3-4 trucks parked on the side of the road and some guys were obviously ending a day of hunting so there they were standing on the side of the road with 12ga hunting guns. That didn't bug me a lick. I do not want to walk into the Pizza Factory to pick up a pizza and see a bunch of yahoos with handguns strapped to their asses. Here is the way I see it. Separation of chruch and state means that I have freedom FROM religion. The 2nd amendment means I have the freedom to own a gun but I also have the freedom FROM having to deal with guns in every public venue.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 11:43:35 PM PST

•  We can't legally smoke in most public spaces. (19+ / 0-)

In the interest of public health, we shouldn't have to be exposed to guns, either. They kill much more quickly than Marlboros.

•  A funny aside - we checked into the campground (7+ / 0-)

at Doran and they now have smoke free signs up. Excuse me - you gonna tell me I can't smoke in the park but you have firepits at all the campsites? Hello? Pretty sure that I could not possibly smoke enough cigarettes in my lifetime to make up for one night of a campfire. Fortunately they do not seem to be enforcing.

by mrsgoo on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 12:43:12 AM PST

•  Nor do they tax guns and ammunition (9+ / 0-)

at anywhere near the rate smokers pay for the privilege.

I know some people who spend as much for tobacco products each month as they pay for rent!

•  Might have as much to do with the (2+ / 0-)
            newfie, Mathazar

fire hazard and litter problem as anything else.

There's a whole class of jackass smokers who mysteriously think it's de rigueur to leave their spent butts lying around, sometimes smoldering. It's a very peculiar aspect of smoker culture. I always wonder, what kind of a dick throws a cig into a urinal, so that somebody else has to clean up after him? I think it's related to marking territory.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:17:46 AM PST

•  "de rigueur" - Smokers v Shooters and Toiletry (1+ / 0-)
              Mathazar

Butts in urinals are such a deadly threat?

Marking territory?

Definition of DE RIGUEUR

: prescribed or required by fashion, etiquette, or custom : proper
              What kind of fool leaves their gun lying around... so that somebody else has to clean up their mess?

Columbus police: Gun found in Toys “R” Us bathroom

A gun was found in the bathroom of Toys “R” Us Tuesday night, Columbus police said.

Reports state a customer found the pistol about 7:45 p.m. in the men's bathroom of the Columbus Park Crossing store. The black Springfield Armory gun was found in a belt-type holster. There were 13 rounds in the clip.

The pistol, ammo and holster were handed over to the police’s Property and Evidence Division, reports state.

Child finds loaded gun in bathroom at Wal-Mart
              Deputy S.A. Moore responded to Wal-Mart on U.S. 50 west of Winchester on March 26 for a report of a loaded firearm found in a women's restroom. Store employee Seth Flickinger's 12-year-old daughter found the firearm on top of the toilet paper dispenser, according to a criminal complaint filed in the case in Frederick County General District Court on Monday.

"[Flickinger] had her retrieve it and turn it over to him, then he turned it in to the customer service desk," the complaint states. "The firearm, a .38-caliber Taurus ultra lite revolver, was loaded when it was found."

Costello returned to Wal-Mart to try to locate her gun and was told it had been turned over to the Sheriff's Office, according to the complaint. Costello went to the Sheriff's Office headquarters, showed proof of ownership and the gun was returned to her.

And this "near-miss" during the Presidential campaign:

Secret Service agent's GUN found in bathroom of Romney's plane by reporter

A Secret Service agent on Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's campaign plane accidentally left a gun in the plane's bathroom.

The gun was discovered in the restroom by a CBS News/National Journal reporter traveling with Romney shortly before he departed the Republican convention in Florida to address the American Legion convention in Indianapolis on Wednesday.

Because of her actions, the member of Mr Romney’s security detail has been removed from the campaign trip.

More via DuckDuckGo:

gun found bathroom

•  I'm that smoker that smokes half a cig, rips the (0+ / 0-)

remaiing part off and stashes the butt in my pocket until I get to a trash can. I hate folks who leave butts.

by mrsgoo on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 11:47:21 PM PST

•  You have all the freedom you need.... (0+ / 0-)

to not deal with anything you so desire.

Go ahead and exercise that freedom.

•  Somewhat disagree. (11+ / 0-)

Anyone who open carries is making a statement, and not one that I think I want to hear.  It's not a casual act, as much as one might like to think.  Anyone who thinks he's protecting his family that way is deceiving himself.

I lived in gun rack country as a kid (rural Maine).  I had friends up there who became collectors and second amendment zealots (screaming that Ted Kennedy wanted to take everyone's guns.)  The sensible folks had hunting rifles (and shotguns) in locked cabinets, and that was it.

The hungry judges soon the sentence sign, And wretches hang, that jurymen may dine.

by magnetics on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 11:50:57 PM PST

•  Why not describe him as a "ticking bomb". He (4+ / 0-)

probably isn't intending to be that way but like it or not if he keeps doing that he will end up having a negligent discharge.  He is no less a ticking bomb than a water heater that some idiot removed the rupture disc and pressure release valve from because they were leaking and the person doing the repair was cheap.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 03:34:27 AM PST

•  I think the gun owners should stand up and keep (1+ / 0-)
      Mathazar

their guns.

If someone with bad intentions had taken that man's gun, he would have come whining to me.

'A bad guy took my gun, silly me, it was in my pocket.  Now be careful because someone might get hurt, but it's not my fault.'

Please sign my petition, we need to make it their fault if they don't keep their guns out of bad hands.

•  His method of carrying was not (0+ / 0-)

"sloppy", it was criminally irresponsible.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:19:36 AM PST

•  Probably not criminally. (0+ / 0-)

Concealing within a pocket is not illegal, in most states. It may have been in the state the Author is from, but not in my state.

It is, like I said, foolish.

•  You're right. (1+ / 0-)
          splashy

Probably "not" criminally.

Probably not even civilly irresponsible. Because people like you have made sure that what ought to be criminal will instead be dismissed as merely "foolish". People like you have made sure that if someone pulls this guys gun out of his pocket and shoots the place up, he cannot be held responsible for what happened with his gun. Because it is much, much, more important that people like you get to walk around with no fear whatsoever that you will ever be held responsible should you be so catastrophically and inexplicably unfortunate as to somehow have your gun used to kill somebody. Because there is simply no way that such an event could ever be your fault. Actually, there's not even any way such an event could ever transpire -- but even against that infinitely improbable (in your judgement) event, you demand indemnity. Because if your gun somehow, incomprehensibly, does end up being used to kill somebody, it will be the fault of God, the universe, and the trigger-puller, but certainly not the fault of yourself.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:50:33 AM PST

•  Perhaps reckless endangerment? Now if it had (0+ / 0-)

been a zippered pocket and he kept it closed that would be different.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 02:38:07 AM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site