View Diary: Actually read the documents released by the FBI about OWS (319 comments)

•  I agree (7+ / 0-)

that you could reasonably think that based on reading that passage. It is reasonable also for people who feel their lives were threatened to feel fearful of the FBI also in this because we are not told who was threatening us.

I was called a "leader" by the press. This is the first time I have heard such a credible threat on my life, and I don't feel protected by this government.

I think the too-big-to-fail-banks certainly feel very protected by this government though.

-- Ryvr
    END THIS WAR NOW

by Ryvr on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 10:54:56 AM PST

•  But the FBI is warning about this sniper wanna be. (14+ / 0-)

They were sending information to local police about this threat - the threat that someone might try to assassinate an OWS leader.

Isn't that exactly what the FBI should be doing?

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 11:02:33 AM PST

•  uh (4+ / 0-)
        3goldens, mkor7, blueoasis, FishOutofWater

"if deemed necessary" does not at all sound to me like conveying a threat from a right-wing terrorist organization. Does the FBI also talk about what the KKK "deems necessary"? That language implies some kind of rational thought.

-- Ryvr
        END THIS WAR NOW

by Ryvr on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 11:04:39 AM PST

•  That's generic bureaucratic language. (4+ / 0-)

I really don't see where you're coming from here.  "If deemed necessary" doesn't carry a connotation one way or the other.

The rest of the memo makes it pretty clear that the warning was about this group or individual.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 11:18:32 AM PST

•  If the KKK deemed it necessary? (0+ / 0-)

I don't think so.

If Arab terrorists deemed it necessary?

I don't think so.

In either case it would appear that the government was legitimizing the actions of terrorist organizations by agreeing that assassination of OWS leaders might be necessary.

The language is very disturbing. It's what led me to conclude (and I have walked back from that conclusion so as not to over state the case) that someone associated with DHS was actually considering the possibility of assassinating OWS "leaders".

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 02:25:23 PM PST

•  They mean, if the group deems it necessary. (0+ / 0-)

The sentence is about the person or people they wrote the warning about.

That's really a bizarre misreading of the language.  We talk about others "deeming" things wrongly all the time, as in "the Soviets deemed this peaceful dissident a threat to their security" or "the Catholic Church deemed Galileo's teachings subversive."  There's no connotation of agreement with the party who "deems" someone to be something.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:11:31 PM PST

•  Actually (3+ / 0-)
          Sylv, joe from Lowell, Shuruq

this sort of pseudo authoritative phrasing is quite common among the nut jobs populating the KKK and the far right.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 12:28:07 PM PST

•  Who is doing the "deeming necessary?" (1+ / 0-)
          tikkun

At this point, we don't know if it was a threat the FBI was reporting, and if so, why it was not in quotes or attributed to an anti-OWS group, which could have been redacted. It may have been an FBI agent's wording in response to possible violence in the protests, but given the tone and tenor of the other documents, emphasizing the role of local police in being aware of threats, I dont read it this way at the moment.

The phrase remains ambiguous at this point. There needs to be some confirmation or context provided now about that phrase. This is what journalism and citizen journalism is all about.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 02:08:58 PM PST

•  You don't, as a rule, put direct quotes in an (1+ / 0-)
            Shuruq

intelligence report. Particularly if there's a chance of the report becoming public. Such specificity would enable the subject of the report to determine how the information was obtained.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:32:16 PM PST

•  Okay. But who is "deeming?" (1+ / 0-)
              tikkun

That is the part which needs more investigation.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 07:20:39 PM PST

•  Baszed on the wording (0+ / 0-)

I'd say it refers to a statement by an individual or group that was being monitored. Just my opinion. It's really pointless to speculate.

If you mean should we be demanding to know who was discussing assassinations, assuming that this particular nugget turns out to be substantive rather than just "noise", of course we should.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 03:36:41 AM PST

•  "If I mean?" (0+ / 0-)

"Of course we should?"

I was not aware that I had left any doubt. But perhaps that is just your personal style of condescension, of which this site has as much to fault as RedState.

We have no royalty here.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 04:43:01 AM PST

•  It does to me. That was my initial take. But then, (0+ / 0-)

I live in a redder-than-red district and work with some prime rate conservative nut-jobs, so I'm probably, sadly, more familiar with how they speak and think (such as they "think") than I hope others on this site are.

They'd phrase it exactly like that.

•  Yes. That IS exactly what it should be doing. nt (0+ / 0-)