View Diary: Democrats need to do better with white voters (162 comments)

•  I agree. I also think there might be something (5+ / 0-)

in looking at this as Obama has the urban voters, some of the suburban voters, but what about rural voters? Sometimes I hear pundits act as if rural places don't matter.

Nothing I hear coming from Washington sounds like it is aimed at rural voters. They are often assumed to be racist, for example, when in reality, there are regional differences and other things at play.

•  I guess I mean Democrats, not President Obama. (1+ / 0-)
      worldlotus

I get the idea that the Republicans seem to cater to the farmers and rural voters, when, really the Democrats could do that just as easily, I think.

Just an idea, to see this not as a racial thing, if people are racist they won't for the group they don't like, but there are people who, once they see some follow through, will vote for their own interests or values.

•  President Obama has actually done quite a bit to (3+ / 0-)
        rosarugosa, James Allen, wishingwell

address rural issues and reach out to urban voters. And when he does so he is authentic, he cares about us and our issues and we know it. It's other parts of the Democratic party that are the problem.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 04:50:29 PM PST

•  Can you be more specific? (1+ / 0-)
          ban nock

What parts of the Democratic party are the problem? What has President Obama done for rural voters? (besides health care which is a big deal to family farms, I know)

•  guns, hunting, farming, oil (3+ / 0-)
            rosarugosa, James Allen, wishingwell

Obama has been good on all.

I used the word urban up top when I meant rural.

Obama has a Kansas accent he got from his grandparents, he uses it well when he wants to.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:09:21 PM PST

•  Like Iowa has few minorities and he won Iowa (2+ / 0-)
              A Citizen, RamblinDave

and he seems to be popular in that state. Iowa primary gave him his first big win in the primaries 4 years ago.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 11:51:20 AM PST

•  Iowa is fairly unique (0+ / 0-)

I say that as someone who lived there for several years, and for the most part loved it. I wish I were able to put my finger on just why people there vote the way they do, as that would give us a fighting chance in Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri and the Dakotas as well. But whatever intangible difference sets Iowa apart from them - and there definitely is one - I was never able to figure it out.

Certaines personnes disent qu'il y a une femme à blâmer, Mais je sais que c'est ma faute sacrément.

by RamblinDave on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 07:20:15 PM PST

•  And Vermont and the Iron Range (1+ / 0-)
                  wishingwell

As I'm thinking about the next part, the first thing I notice is trends and guidelines have exceptions, like one of the whitest and most sparely populated states is Vermont, yet it's safely blue in presidential elections. Northeastern Minnesota is a Democratic stronghold even though it's sparely populated and socially conservative (pro-gun, pro-life) but at least there I know that it's not agricultural, but the economy is based on unionized industries, so a politician better be pro-labor. Maybe there is something to duplicate in other areas, like if we can increase union membership, we improve our odds.

Thinking demographically, Minnesota's elderly voted against the photo ID requirement for voting. The GOP was clearly identified with the yes side, and Democrats with no, but seniors voted no when they were shown they would be hurt by it. So maybe we can win by making elections about specific issues, though this was a constitutional amendment, not an election for public office. Point being exceptions might be just exceptions, or they might teach us something useful.

•  My guess re: Vermont (1+ / 0-)
                    wishingwell

A lot of the peace-and-love crowd moved there in the '60s and '70s and never left. Also, it was ancestrally Republican from the era when the Republicans were the liberal party. So it makes sense that it flipped from red to blue at just about exactly the time when the lunatics became an unstoppable force within the GOP. (Remember, it voted Democratic once from the Civil War through 1988 - in 1964 - but it has been unapproachably Democratic ever since then.)

by RamblinDave on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 09:18:27 PM PST

•  and it's not just big economic issues (2+ / 0-)
            rosarugosa, wishingwell

While Obama seems aloof to the inside the beltway crowd he seems authentic to us little folk, guy doesn't BS us.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 05:14:21 PM PST

•  Democrats do more for farmers as they back the (0+ / 0-)

ag bills and the most recent farm bill. It was the GOP who pushed back against the Ag bill and refused to vote on it until the last minute. We need to do a better job of informing rural folks , especially farmers, about how the Democrats push for the Farm Bills and other things that help them.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs