View Diary: The great leap forward – or upward, even! Sikorsky R-4B (56 comments)

•  BEEN to Duxford? *chuckle* (4+ / 0-)

My best bud is the former Deputy Director. He and I STILL work events there sometimes, and I visit every year...next question? :)

I know Mildenhall well...saw a fatal crash with a Turbo Mentor there, unfortunately.

I was at Davis-Monthan half a lifetime ago! (In 1983)

I'm working as fast as I can, but its kind of difficult to correalate so much material.

Following a business conference with the heads of departments at the CAA Safety Regulation Group in October, I had a few days to spare, so I also went to Shuttleworth, Duxford, Army Aviation Museum, Fleet Air Arm Museum, de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Trust, Yorkshire Air Museum and Brooklands.....now you see why I went out and bought a 3 terabyte external hard drive!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 09:19:45 PM PST

•  you ever make it back over here, (3+ / 0-)
      subtropolis, shortfinals, PavePusher

and need a Texan interpreter for a visit to CAF headquarters down in Midland, look me up.

Better yet: plan a vacation and come over for their annual headquarters aviation demonstration extravaganza down there.

Airsho, they call it....I've been to, oh, I dunno, half a dozen?
      It's an amazing thing to see all that history on the wing.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:16:07 PM PST

•  Ahh! This is where I must explain.. (2+ / 0-)
        PavePusher, markdd

...(I have to do this periodically!). I actually LIVE in the US...(in Massachusetts, to be precise) but return to the U.K. regularly.

So I have been to TX several times (and, yes, I DO need an interpreter!) However, if I stray over the border to Louisiana, I switch to French, and everyone is happy! :)

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 03:54:53 AM PST

•  My Cajun coworker (1+ / 0-)
          shortfinals

Grew up speaking Cajun French, before the Depression.  We used him a lot when the Belgians were in town, but the French couldn't understand him....

“that our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry.” Thomas Jefferson

by markdd on Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 08:46:47 AM PST

•  the offer stands. (0+ / 0-)

You live up there in Far Yankeeland. It's a different language.

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 03:19:46 PM PST

•  Heh, this is me being embarrassed over here. (2+ / 0-)
      Azazello, shortfinals

Still working my way through your diaries.  Just read the Peak District one with reference to Land Rovers, made me miss my old SIII that I didn't get to bring home.  And the gritstone climbing...

If you're ever in the Tucson, Arizona area let us know.  A few of us would probably love to buy you dinner.

•  Thank you, kindly, for the offer PP.... (1+ / 0-)
        PavePusher

...I'll let you know if I ever hit town, again.

Right now, I am writing so fast my fingers hurt, the only reason I don't use speak-recognition software is that it DOESN'T handle all the abbreviations and tech. terms associated with my former careers too well.

Plus the fact that the time lag is annoying, if you think fast.

You should like the diary coming up on Cave Dale, Castleton. The pic is an 800ft vertical shot from the lip of the ridge, down to the valley floor, with a couple of hikers on the trail in the bottom, for scale! I still shake when I think of the risk on that one!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'