View Diary: Andrew Sullivan to leave Daily Beast and take The Dish to start a new reader supported enterprise (45 comments)

•  Oh no no - please don't think that. (6+ / 0-)

Sullivan is so hyper smart, broad, and curious that he is definitely worth your time. Specifically, his backing of the Iraq War - in combination with how deeply he insulted those against it - well, fuck.

And I have to confess I still go there once in a while. Like  I said, hyper smart, broad, and curious...

•  Well, I opposed the war. So maybe he attacked me (0+ / 0-)

and I didn't notice?

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 06:19:02 PM PST

•  Yes he did. Or maybe more specifically people (1+ / 0-)
        HoundDog
        •  Decadent left? Fifth columnist? The man is (0+ / 0-)

a lunatic!!!!  At least he didn't mention me specifically.

I'm almost ready to disavow all the kind and encouraging things I said about him.

But, sadly, I believe even having stand alone conservative perspectives probably helps us achieve higher understandings so I will not delete my best wishes.

But, maybe after he gets his feet on the ground, I will write a scathing reply calling him equally unkind things. Like a doubly decadent rightist, and a sixth columnist.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 06:56:53 PM PST

•  You mock me now. (1+ / 0-)
            HoundDog

I should have noticed the tongued cheek?

•  No, I'm not mocking you Little. I'm so sorry. I (2+ / 0-)
              Little, citylights

just was trying to be funny. I've had a headache for a few days, and after reading all this stuff about Hillary, and being depressed about the concessions over the fiscal cliff I was doing a Now for something completely different to take a break.

I often try to make these kinds of post and comments fun and funny especially in the comments.

After having so many pleasant exchanges with you I was just trying to have silly fun.

Please accept my apologies. One of the things I need to learn better is that my moods change so quickly, I can leave readers baffled as in one minute I'm deadly serious with painfully detailed points, and the next being totally silly trying extract humor for a tangent.

I've enjoyed and appreciated you comments. and helpful links.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 07:06:15 PM PST

•  Little, I am so distressed that you think I was (2+ / 0-)
              Little, citylights

mocking you that I have to explain and apologize even more.

I had just read one of the comments asking if this were an post or an advertisement and then your posts reminding me that Sullivan was a complete war hawk and one of my "enemies" of long ago which I had actually forgotten.

While I wrote this I was also watching NCIS which got interesting so was sort of writing on "cruise control" as it often helps me relax for some odd reason, but only if I don't apply a usually academic like concentration.

I also read and write these thinks very quickly because I get bored easily.  So I think perhaps unconsciously after reading him denouncing "decadent leftists and fifth columnists" (which would generically be me) my comment about was a very quick way to attempt the affectation a breezy but graceful distancing joke.  So I wouldn't have to explain all this but could reassure readers that I haven't given up progressive values and become a war Hawk.

Actually, the first reaction - joke I had was to affect outrage and say "That miserable bast--d! followed by a string of obscene adjectives, but immediately thought better of it after too many misunderstandings.

Anyhow I should have put in a happy face so you knew I was being silly in a friendly way, but since reading a bunch of those '10 most juvenile, idiotic, and juvenile emoticons of the year" article I'm trying to cut back a little on those as I seem to be the only person out of 640,000 UID here that still does that.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 07:17:00 PM PST

•  Sullivan, to his credit, has apologized (2+ / 0-)
                HoundDog, odenthal

profusely for ever supporting the Iraq war. He knows he was wrong, he admits he was wrong, and that's more than even some Dem politicians were willing to do.

•  HoundDog - slow down (2+ / 0-)
                HoundDog, Creosote

I am not offended. I'm on and off the phone with doctor's appointement ppl and a scuba dive company and watching cricket - it is all okay.

But you're not mocking me now, are you?

;)

I hate emoticons.

•  Oh, say it isn't so... If I can no longer (1+ / 0-)
                HoundDog

:) & ;) I will be :^(

It's so easy to be misunderstood, or take something the wrong way. We need a snark font.  And one for irony.  And....

That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: Perhaps the biggest misconception of communication is the assumption that it takes place.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap." Napoleon Bonaparte

by citylights on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 02:07:23 AM PST

•  Yes, great point and quote. Remember that old (0+ / 0-)

McCluen (sp?) title, "The Medium is the Message?" In this case the medium is mushing the message. Or at least some other synonym of constraining that begins with m.  Maybe mangling would be better?

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi