View Diary: The fatal flaw in 'Stand Your Ground' laws (221 comments)

•  I'm all for open carry for licensed owners. No (6+ / 0-)

confusion about whom one is dealing with when they wear the gun openly. Concealed carry I have a ton of problems with, but I know that it's important for undercover police, etc. While defending your castle, you don't need to hide the gun. Ditto in public. The visibility of your gun let's everyone know that you are armed and potentially dangerous or capable of stopping others who are dangerous. Why not?

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 07:48:38 PM PST

•  that would be better (3+ / 0-)

than being abruptly surprised later.

after saying something that gets taken the wrong way.

Isn't it time to fix the Filibuster?
      -- Here's how.

by jamess on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 07:50:38 PM PST

•  I don't like either concealed or open carry. (5+ / 0-)

Anywhere. Ever.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:13:02 PM PST

•  Well...we have a right to the guns and a right (4+ / 0-)

to bear them...so, I think open carry is preferable to concealed (which might not be protected constitutionally, anyway).

We clearly can eliminate some arms from the 2A, but I don't think handguns will ever be illegal except in localities, and that may change (as in DC decision).

by jeff in nyc on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:44:27 PM PST

•  Well, you THINK you do. Scotus hasn't ruled on (2+ / 0-)
          DefendOurConstitution, blueness

whether you do or not. You can have them in your homes. That much we know, but even that can be subject to laws as the court ruled in Heller.

Nothing is really that clear. And for you to suggest it is a settled matter is disingenuous.

by cany on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:18:04 PM PST

•  BTW, you know that hand guns were once illegal in (1+ / 0-)
          DefendOurConstitution

NY?  Gun control in the US is an old, not new, practice.

by cany on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:19:23 PM PST

•  Yes, I do. Handguns are still illegal in NYC (2+ / 0-)
            cany, DefendOurConstitution

but the DC decision has that in jeopardy as well. I am in favor of these bans, not against. I would not want to ban rifles and shotguns in the entire nation; I would want to ban them in NYC and other municipalities that would benefit from banning.

by jeff in nyc on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:29:30 PM PST

•  If they HAVE to carry (0+ / 0-)

Then yes I agree with that. At least you would know which way the gun was pointed.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 01:58:59 AM PST