View Diary: The fatal flaw in 'Stand Your Ground' laws (221 comments)

•  Well I can tell you they do what they damn please (3+ / 0-)

anyway. If you think people don't ignore the sign that plainly reads Private Street No Tresspassing, you would be wrong.

I've been thinking about putting one out that is a bit more direct under it:  GET OUT.

I bet that won't even do it.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:08:54 PM PST

•  You've marked the most important point (8+ / 0-)

It's not the legal owner you need to be concerned about. It's the criminal who ignores ALL the laws, and does what he wants.
       Penalizing the normal gun owner or enthusiast is NOT the way to achieve your goals.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." -Zappa My Site

by meagert on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:13:48 PM PST

•  Let me tell you something. This applies just as (2+ / 0-)

much to Ma and Pa Kettle who seem to believe signs like this somehow don't apply to THEM just everyone else. We are constantly having to help people who make bad decisions get their vehicles out. I wouldn't bother except they block the road.

These people aren't "criminals". I don't know what to call them.

by cany on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:26:40 PM PST

•  Yeah, but (1+ / 0-)
          fuzzyguy

people who put up "Private Property/No Trespassing" signs on gates across COUNTY FUCKING PUBLIC HIGHWAYS kind of disrupt the system to the point that nobody believes (cough) um, back to the point:

A stranger who arrives at your door with a gun is apparently already trespassing.  I don't know how much more illegal you want to make trespassing, but people who respect laws and private property are already not going to show up at your door, with or without a gun.

In politics, there is the class war. Everything else is naming post offices.

by happymisanthropy on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:55:54 PM PST

•  That's what I am hoping for:) (1+ / 0-)
            DefendOurConstitution

by cany on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:09:46 PM PST

•  BTW... what's with the (1+ / 0-)
            DefendOurConstitution

"County Fucking Public Highways" part?

You lost me there.

by cany on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:10:56 PM PST

•  I was driving down the county road (1+ / 0-)
              fuzzyguy

and there's a gate right in the middle of it.

"Private Property/No Trespassing"

I check the map.  The road goes through for a few more miles before it connects with a Forest Service road.  It's a public road.

I look at my copilot, who's a local.  She tells me to ignore the signs and just close the gate after me.

This happened several times, but this was the only time I was ever completely sure that it was in fact a public road -- because it was signed as a county road at both ends.

In politics, there is the class war. Everything else is naming post offices.

by happymisanthropy on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:38:01 PM PST

•  Ah. Sounds like someone was having a little (0+ / 0-)

dispute over ownership. We had one of those, here. Still going on I think.

by cany on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 02:51:44 PM PST

•  Every single illegal gun started out as a happy (8+ / 0-)

legal gun, until it got sold to an unsavory character without any record (private sale) for the right amount of cash.  Sure some are stolen, but the majority of illegal guns come from "legal" sources and "normal gun owners."

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:42:59 PM PST

•  Every criminal started out as a happy (1+ / 0-)
          fuzzyguy

law abiding citizen.

Every phone call prior to the 911 attackers using phone calls to coordinate their attack started out as a happy phone.

It looks like you have a lot more constitutional liberties to infringe on.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 08:08:19 AM PST

•  By their irrefutable logic, we can hack into their (6+ / 0-)

networks or computers (I mean as long as they do not have a sign saying that we cannot do so).  Their religion is sure getting nuttier.  The amazing thing is that they truly believe this BS.  Chauncey DeVega had a great diary earlier about why it is typically men that carry guns (and commit most murders with them) and he interviewed a historian on gender roles.  Basically it is the challenge to their masculinity that most of them are trying to resolve with the guns.

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:22:41 PM PST