View Diary: Hunger in America:Two Inspiring Stories Plus Six Ideas You Can Try At Home (52 comments)

•  I'm sending this (15+ / 0-)

to Top Comments. Your first sentence moved me deeply. To be in a position to want to help while so in need yourself? I've been there too.

•  Glad you did this... (13+ / 0-)

(sent it to top comments, I mean). I've been close to "there," and the sentence moved me, too.

•  Thanks for that. (4+ / 0-)
      JaxDem, hazey, Quilldriver, nomandates

One can hope to emerge on the far side able to resume one's former life.  I never imagined this.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:00:43 AM PST

•  That would be a good title... (1+ / 0-)
        JaxDem
        I never imagined this.
        I'm not going to try to push you into posting something if you're not ready. Even if you don't publish, though, writing out your thoughts might prove more helpful than you would imagine.

{{{argomd}}}

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by nomandates on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 06:58:22 PM PST

•  Last time I did, it didn't end well (2+ / 0-)
          JaxDem, nomandates

A prominent and feted member of DK chose to reply with several comments that proved devastating to me.  Only 3 individuals -- and me -- materially objected to his comments, but in civil terms.  Several months passed before I began commenting again, in this small way.

I noted at the time something to this effect, that one never knows how what one says to another via vicious comments may be the final straw on that camel's back.  It came far too close to that for me.  And that very commenter now signs his posts with the "is it true? is it kind?..." quote.  That irony, his missing apology, and the community's subsequent embrace of him, have kept me quiet.

In any event, my life is nearly over; it is purposely simple and solitary, to avoid causing distress to anyone else.  Not sure my words would add much to this vibrant mix of wonderful souls.

If I emerge on the other side of this, perhaps I'll be stronger.

And if so, it will have been because of the very, very kind words of people like you.  If just the wrong words can be damaging, just the right words delivered at the right time can provide incredible solace.

Thank you, thank you.  Thank YOU.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 07:53:29 AM PST

•  {{{{{argomd}}}}}} (2+ / 0-)
            argomd, nomandates

I am so so very sorry that you've been hurt by the careless remarks of others.  So much so that you weren't strong enough to comment for months following.

I would love to have you become a member if for no other reason than to offer editorial input and advice via the group's message system.  Perhaps to provide suggested diary topics.

Your intense level of care for your fellow man shines through brightly in your words.  I wish only the best for you.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 12:32:10 PM PST

•  Someone reassured me, (2+ / 0-)
            argomd, JaxDem

when I was quite upset about the repeated and ugly attacks on Texans and Southerners at this site,

this site is big enough for it all...the crappy people and us nice people :)
            I thought about it, and decided that this person (who has been at this site far longer than I have) was absolutely correct.

For example, there was a shooting at a college in my city today, and multiple diaries have been posted at the site about it. I'm deliberately avoiding most of them because I know what some jerks will post in the comments about Texans. And I'm choosing instead to read diaries where I won't have to hear that garbage.

I don't feel much like talking this evening, argomd, but wanted to try to reply to you. The point I'm trying to make is that I hope you'll hang around with the nice people at the site and try to just ignore the others, who aren't worth depriving yourself of our awesome company ;-)

by nomandates on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:53:44 PM PST

•  Nomandates, JaxDem -- (2+ / 0-)
              JaxDem, nomandates

You make powerful, persuasive arguments based on your own humane actions.

Thank you for spending time talking to me, NM, especially on an evening filled with such sad, sad news.   The geography of a tragedy doesn't make it any easier to endure -- nor should make it into a chance for snark.

I'll have to mostly lurk for a while until my Chapter 7 is resolved.  If there is life After Bankruptcy, I'll come looking for it here.

Again, thank you so much.  Your words have given me strong shoulders to lean on.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 12:37:21 PM PST