View Diary: Liberals Diss Biden By Talking About Hillary2016 (74 comments)

•  I totally disagree (1+ / 0-)
    TLS66

Hillary is not as popular as people believe, I think it is a trap going for Hillary.  Biden can win if Democrats gave him a chance.  I think his appeal is broader than Hillarys.

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book"-Nietzsche

by the Pollitikat on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:20:09 AM PST

•  feel free to disagree (1+ / 0-)
      Deep Texan

but the polls would support what I said.  Biden will never get the nomination.  You can diss Mrs Clinton all you want but she has withstood a lot of dissing over the years.  some of it has been deserved and some of it hasn't.

Besides, this is all speculation based on a lot of assumptions.  I don't put money on assumptions because they are usually wrong.   A lot can happen over the next 4 years.

Visit the Iraq Memorial Quilt @ http://www.iraqmemorialquilt.com

by pollchecker on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:28:13 AM PST

•  I remember when people (2+ / 0-)
      the Pollitikat, chicagoblueohio

LAUGHED at the prospect of Bush I winning in 1988 and the prospect of Gore winning in 2000.  Yes, I know he didn't take office, but let's face it, he won the popular vote and probably won the electoral vote as well (Gore won in the most likely scenarios in the "media recount". One had him winning by 171.  One had him winning by THREE votes.  The media, desperate to legitimize the spoiled princeling, latched onto the less likely scenario where Bush won by 1,665 votes). So, when you factor in the likelihood, Gore actually won in 2000, the track record of incumbent VPs winning is 50-50.

Hillary was supposed to win in 2008, wasn't she? She didn't ... she was bested by someone who was an unknown community organizer when she was FLOTUS, someone who was an obscure state legislator when he won her U.S. Senate seat.

This is not necessarily to say I'd vote for Biden in a primary, but his prospects should be afforded the same respect that Hillary's are.  Personally, I think they're both a bit old for it.  Perhaps someone younger like Sherrod Brown, Kirsten Gillibrand, Maria Cantwell, or Deval Patrick.

"Valerie, why am I getting all these emails calling me a classless boor?"

by TLS66 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:12:13 AM PST

•  Russ Feingold would be good. (0+ / 0-)

But we'll just have to wait and see who the media decides.  They pick the people they want to win and ignore the hell outa the people who are best qualified for the job.

This "Trickle Down" thing has turned out to be somebody pissing on my leg and tellin' me it's rainin'.

by swtexas on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:26:23 AM PST

•  thats a bit much, really (2+ / 0-)
        Deep Texan, Bill W
        i like how you're acting like obama was some unknown hayseed state legislator when in fact, from the moment he delivered his keynote a the convention in '04, he became basically an international political rock star, and went on to run the most sophisticated and effective campaign in presidential history. its not like hillary lost to john hunstman or something.
        •  no it is not a bit much (0+ / 0-)

it is the truth.  that is exactly what happened

by the Pollitikat on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:04:39 AM PST

•  yes, she lost (0+ / 0-)

to obama. but so try to spin it as though she lost to some unknown is absurd. obama was probably the most famous man in the world at the time of the '08 campaign, and was an absolute juggernaut on the campaign trail. not to mention the fact that within weeks of the outset of the primary campaign season, bidens campaign was over, and he was facing the same exact field as hilary.

•  was he more famous than Hillary? (0+ / 0-)

and I doubt he was the most famous man in the world.  he was famous in the sense that he was doing the actual foot work in his campaign.  How long had Hillary been on the scene before Obama came along.  Everyone knew she wanted to be president some day.  She had a twelve year head start and she still lost.

by the Pollitikat on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:58:42 AM PST

•  I doubt he was the most famous man in (0+ / 0-)

the world when he beat her in Iowa

by the Pollitikat on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 10:07:43 AM PST

•  I think the point is... (0+ / 0-)

...that nobody who had been paying attention since the 2004 convention should have been surprised that Obama was a strong contender in the 2008 primary.  To suggest that he just came out of nowhere and sort of stumbled his way into the nomination is, I think, revisionism. He was a strong candidate, and he put together an incredibly effective campaign.

•  I like the idea of Deval Patrick too (0+ / 0-)

I wouldnt mind Gillibrand but I am not sure she could get the top spot, maybe VP for her, I am not opposed to it

by the Pollitikat on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:03:39 AM PST

•  She is even popular here in the south. (0+ / 0-)

Especially among women.

•  Biden's tried twice, (0+ / 0-)

both times as a powerful Senator with a fairly high profile. He never made it past Iowa. Why not? I'm not going to comment - but it certainly indicates that he's got trouble winning elections outside Delaware.

•  despite his popularity with capitol (0+ / 0-)

hill and the political junkies, I dont think he was well known.  I know when he was picked I had many people asking who what he was about.  People usually don't pay attention until you are truly on a national stage, the VP has done that for him--he will get more consideration if he decides to run this time.

by the Pollitikat on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:18:09 AM PST