View Diary: Chuck Hagel to be nominated for secretary of defense (381 comments)

•  how about (3+ / 0-)
    FogCityJohn, Scott Wooledge, craigkg

the last five years?

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 03:36:33 PM PST

•  OK, Moses. (4+ / 0-)

Next time you come down from Mt. Sanctimony, lemme have a look at whatever stone tablets you have on hand, and I shall learn which DC pols are righteous and pure.

But for now, I'm just gonna be jazzed that the neocons are getting a swift kick in the balls and that maybe, just maybe, there actually won't be a major regional conflagration in SW Asia.

I know, I know... my priorities are totally fucked up here.

You can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

by Eric Stratton on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 03:52:20 PM PST

•  yeah (2+ / 0-)

it's sanctimonious to think there's something wrong with a democrat appointing a right wing republican who a whole three years ago got a 0% rating from the human rights campaign. got it.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:12:58 PM PST

•  Nice that we understand each other. (2+ / 0-)
          Shane Hensinger, poco

You care about the politics, I care about the policy. It's the Secretary of Defense, or as we used to call it... the Secretary of War.

I realize the optics of this are not especially good. And I look forward to lots of concern trolling on the part of neocons as they pretend to suddenly have a problem with Hagel's controversial statements. Personally I think they'll get the most mileage out of his comments on women.

All I care about is not going to war with Iran, and maybe even serious progress on an actual two-state solution.

by Eric Stratton on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:20:15 PM PST

•  the secdef (1+ / 0-)

will not decide those issues. he will carry his bigotry with him, every moment of every day.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:22:05 PM PST

•  I don't think you get it. (2+ / 0-)
              poco, bevenro

Lots of folks don't. War is rarely a decision that is consciously made. It has a nasty habit of happening against the wishes of the participants. Vietnam and Iraq weren't really that bad for this reason. They were wars of choice, and when people had had enough of them, it was relatively easy to end them.

WWI and WWII were in many ways spontaneous. The US was dragged into WWI to a large degree by Germany's U-boat attacks. It wasn't necessarily what Congress or the public wanted. France certainly didn't want anything to do with WWII, but they ended up hosting their second world war a mere 20 years from the conclusion of the first one.

If the US doesn't do something to get out in front of the Israel/Palestine issue, events could very well lead to it becoming more than something people are rude to each other about on Daily Kos. Those events might not be directed from Washington DC or even Tel Aviv. It could be any stupid thing that sets the fuse burning.

Hagel isn't my hero. He's not the bestest guy ever. He can be a dick, and has been on many occasions. But I'll take him, faults and all. He's the right guy for this particular job, if none other.

by Eric Stratton on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:41:42 PM PST

•  I'm an HRC donor. (3+ / 0-)
          Eric Stratton, v2aggie2, Rusty Pipes

But Chuck Hagel wasn't even in Congress in 2009, and probably had not cast any truly substantive votes on LGBT issues in years.

Steve Clemons on HRC and Hagel:

I am a big fan of HRC and Chad Griffin. I have gone to the last couple of HRC dinners as the guest of the managing partner of the mega-law firm of Paul Hastings, a straight and happily married Republican who supported Mitt Romney but is steadfastly committed to human rights and to LGBT equality. Paul Hastings is the major underwriter of the HRC dinner, and I hope that Chad Griffin or the firm invite Hagel and his wife to sit at their table and have a conversation on these issues.

Had Hagel been invited, he would have told the audience that he valued each and every man and woman who chose to serve this nation, on the battlefield and in other capacities -- regardless of his or her ethnic background, sexual identity or religion. I'm not sure where Hagel stands on same-sex marriage, but I know that he supports solid legal protections for gay families and is personally supportive of gays and lesbians.

How do I know this?

Because I'm a national-security wonk who happens to be gay and who happens to have interacted with and followed Chuck Hagel for years.

'Fie upon the Congress' - Sen Bob Byrd

by Maxwell on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:31:33 PM PST

•  LOL Don't Hold Your Breath (0+ / 0-)

re: Mount Sanctimony

Too Folk For You. - Schmidting in the Punch Bowl - verb - Committing an unexpected and underhanded political act intended to "spoil the party."

by TooFolkGR on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:23:46 PM PST