View Diary: Chuck Hagel to be nominated for secretary of defense (381 comments)

•  He's every straight person's favorite homo (2+ / 0-)
    FogCityJohn, drsampson

Good ol' Castle Catholic Andrew's been milking it like that his whole life.

"The two pioneering forces of modern sensibility are Jewish moral seriousness and homosexual aestheticism and irony." Susan Sontag

by Shane Hensinger on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:06:58 PM PST

•  Why are you guys calling him (1+ / 0-)
      radv005

a homo? Is part of the reason you dislike him because he's gay? I just don't understand why we even have to refer to his sexuality in discussing a very accomplished and dignified man.

•  Because I'm gay and we often refer to one another (2+ / 0-)
        sfbob, Scott Wooledge

in that manner - that's why.

by Shane Hensinger on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:17:36 PM PST

•  You know, now I am starting to (1+ / 0-)
          jplanner

wonder if I've wandered into a conversation for which I am too straight to understand what you guys are saying. So I'm just going to shut up.

•  Maybe it is a little internecine TBH (4+ / 0-)

There's not a little resentment on the part of many GLBT people over those who claim to speak on behalf of the entire community - whether implied or explicit.

Personally I don't like Andrew because he justified, for the longest time, the British oppression of nationalist people in the North of Ireland. He served as what we call a "Castle Catholic," which is a monarchist Catholic who knows where his bread is buttered and will happily climb over the backs of his fellow compatriots to get what he wants. He provided a grimy intellectual veneer to a terrible campaign of collusion and oppression for a long period of time and he was happy to do it as long as it gave him a leg up.

by Shane Hensinger on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:28:47 PM PST

•  Well, that you think Andrew Sullivan (5+ / 0-)

speaks for gay people does indicate that you are too straight for the conversation you've wandered into. (Hint: He's not popular with gay people.)

"The marriage fight is over when we say it's over, and it's over when we win."—Dan Savage

by Scott Wooledge on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:41:33 PM PST

•  Yes I realize that. I had no idea he was (2+ / 0-)
              craigkg, Ottoe

unpopular with gay people, I knew he is unpopular with the homophobes. I would think there would be more rallying around him, since as a prominent openly gay person he already has to deal with all the hate that's out there.

•  We don't rally around tokens. (1+ / 0-)
                craigkg

Andrew Sullivan has about as much credibility among LGBTs as Clarence Thomas does among African-Americans.  Sullivan owes his position to the fact that he happens to be a gay man who willingly spouts the kind of conservative BS you typically find on Fox News.  For a long time, he was the only gay person you ever saw on television, even though his views were far to the right of most of us in the LGBT community.

The MSM loved him, because they could point to him and say, "See, here's a gay person who agrees with the right wing conventional wisdom!"  He was a token they were using as cover for their own homophobia.

So no, most of us are not about to rally around him.  And as someone who actually knew him personally at one point, I can assure you he is no more appealing a human being in person than he is on the teeveee.

by FogCityJohn on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 05:16:28 PM PST

•  Oh, please. (3+ / 0-)
        sfbob, Scott Wooledge, craigkg

The only reason you brought Sullivan up is because he's gay.  You were using the common derailing tactic of "well, someone in the [insert marginalized group at issue] disagrees."

And it'd be really funny if I, a gay man, disliked Sullivan because he's gay.  So you can spare me the faux indignation.

by FogCityJohn on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:22:20 PM PST

•  Please. Not every straight person's. n/t (4+ / 0-)

by Meteor Blades on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:37:21 PM PST