View Diary: Birch Society Republicans: America Now Has Three Major Political Parties (425 comments)

•  Divide and conquer, unite and rule. (5+ / 0-)

I wonder at what point more liberal Republicans will get fed up and join our party?  There aren't many left in the House, but we should be making common cause with the ones there are - because there's plenty of them in the electorate.

There are districts where no Democrat could ever be elected.  If we could make the difference between an extremist and a moderate, wouldn't we rather see somebody elected we could work with?  Somebody who's open to compromise?  Just a thought.

Early to rise and early to bed Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and dead. --Not Benjamin Franklin

by Boundegar on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 02:17:51 AM PST

•  We should run in every district (2+ / 0-)
      sidnora, bontemps2012

In the reddest we should have candidates who pledge only to vote D for Speaker.  They can vote straight conservative on every bill for all I care, as long as the Democrats can set the agenda.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 11:32:27 AM PST

•  They already did. (1+ / 0-)
      bontemps2012

Not only are there no "liberal" Republicans left in either house of Congress (the last one was Lincoln Chafee), there are barely any moderates left; there's Susan Collins, all by herself in the Senate, and even in the NE, most Republican House members are pretty extreme.

by sidnora on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:39:31 PM PST

•  My question (1+ / 0-)
        sidnora

was about liberal and moderate Republicans in the electorate.  They still exist, plenty of them, at least in blue states.  Who do they vote for, when a crazy Tea Party candidate runs against a moderate Republican like President Obama?

by Boundegar on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 02:11:47 PM PST

•  Sorry for the misunderstanding. (1+ / 0-)
          bontemps2012

I guess they must sometimes vote for Dems, sometimes stay home, sometimes hold their noses and vote for whatever Republican is on the ballot. I bet that a lot of them voted for Romney by telling themselves that he was only acting "that way" because he had to, to get conservatives to vote for him.

I'm not so sure that blue state Republicans are more moderate than others, anyway. I live in a very blue place, and the nearest Republican communities tend to be pretty immoderate - racist, anti-union and anti-abortion. They're classic Reagan Dems, 30 years later. None of your genteel Yankee WASP-type business-community leaders around here.

by sidnora on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 02:32:59 PM PST

•  We vote for ... (0+ / 0-)

The best candidate.  I considered myself a pretty liberal Republican. McCain and the Ice Queen were too crazy right for me, so I voted for Obama in 2008.  Rinse, repeat for 2012. No way Romney/Ryan would get my vote either.  And, moderate/liberal R's don't exist exclusively in blue states. I'm in Texas, along with most of my moderate/liberal R family ... And we all voted for Obama.

For Senate, I voted in the R primary in Texas so I could vote against Cruz. I also looked up the Tea Bagger recommended candidates, and voted against every one of them in the primary.

I find my dad the most interesting case. He is the most conservative of us all. He voted McCain in the 08 primary. Once McCain chose Palin, my dad was firmly in the Obama camp.  Guess it proves that, for a lot of sane Republicans, they're tired of the bat-shit crazy group of clowns the GOP keeps trotting out.

I was a member of Republicans for Obama on Facebook. There were a lot of us. That's the best place for a R view of the current state of the party.  I realized this last election that I don't belong there any longer.  I am firmly in the D camp.

•  Thanks! (0+ / 0-)

That's kind of what I was wondering.  I wonder if your (former) party will ever swing back to the center.

by Boundegar on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 01:54:12 PM PST

•  Maybe they will... (0+ / 0-)

But we will have to root out the crazies first. The only way We can accomplish that is to completely marginalize them.  I have this grand idea that Dems can help - pledge to support moderate R's in primaries to help them fend off the baggers. I'll continue to work toward that goal for 2014, though I'm not exactly sure how to do it. Especially in Texas... It seems like they're all bat-shit crazy here.