View Diary: Birch Society Republicans: America Now Has Three Major Political Parties (425 comments)

•  Winning elections and winning votes (1+ / 0-)
    ybruti

in the Legislative Branch far outweigh emotional rewards from hearing my views "represented."

Besides, there's Bernie Sanders 24/7/365 for what I really want to hear said over there.

"We have done nothing to be ashamed of. We have nothing to apologize for." NRA 12/14/2012

by bontemps2012 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 10:02:10 AM PST

•  Having views represented (1+ / 0-)
      TiaRachel

isn't just about "emotional rewards".
        Without having voters views represented then democracy loses its legitimacy and breaks down. Voting becomes a meaningless exercise.
        Sure, you can have short-term "victories" without representation, but they are pyrrhic.

It's sad that so many people think that having their views represented in this country is a luxury rather than something essential. No wonder America is dying a slow death.

¡Cállate o despertarás la izquierda! - protest sign in Spain

by gjohnsit on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 11:15:27 AM PST

•  People try to do what you are saying (1+ / 0-)
        bontemps2012

They lose elections.  The Greens run candidates and lose all the time.  Blanche Lincoln was primaried from the left, that didn't work.  I'm not saying don't try.  Just don't think that the problem is the Democrats.  The voters just don't vote for liberals the way you want them to.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:13:45 PM PST

•  The Greens lose elections (0+ / 0-)

mostly because there are a lot of people out there that think like you do - that voting for what you believe in is a losing cause.

As I said, its the reason why America is dying a slow death.

¡Cállate o despertarás la izquierda! - protest sign in Spain

by gjohnsit on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 11:46:00 AM PST

•  Obviously, you can't read minds (0+ / 0-)

I vote in the Dem primaries, but I almost never vote on the Democratic line in the general.  I vote Green when they have a candidate, if not I vote for the Dem on the Working Families line if I can or Independence line if I have to.  The more votes Dems get on the WFP line, the more they have to listen to them.

More than anything, though, I am interested in power and who has it.  That's the point of politics.  So if I have to vote for a centrist just to make sure a Republican won't win, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

Blaming the voters is a losing strategy.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 05:53:32 PM PST

•  Progressive Democrats of America (1+ / 0-)
      slothlax

work within the Democratic Party to elect more progressive Democrats. Link

The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. -- Judge Learned Hand, May 21, 1944

by ybruti on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 11:17:00 AM PST