View Diary: Firearms should be regulated like cars (166 comments)

•  Some states maybe, (10+ / 0-)

but this is typical of mostly rural states (and counties).  They literally do not have room at the jail for characters like this, and when overcrowding gets too bad, the judge fines them and lets them go on their own recognizance.  Then the fine never gets paid because the offender has no job and is on SSI or Social Security.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand. - Sun Tzu

by Otteray Scribe on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:12:16 PM PST

•  Sounds pretty sweet, to tell you the truth. (8+ / 0-)

Denial is a drug.

by Pluto on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:25:32 PM PST

•  I dunno about that, but a rec for making me grin. (7+ / 0-)

I am probably going to go to hell for that.

by Otteray Scribe on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:34:52 PM PST

•  I hope not. :) (7+ / 0-)

WI had light penalties for unlicensed drivers up to very recently.  If memory serves, the law was changed following several instances of unlicensed drivers causing death and injury, and the change was supported by law enforcement.  Under the new law:

… a person convicted of OWL [operating without license] or OWS [operating while suspended] who, in the course of the violation, causes great bodily harm to another person: 1) must forfeit not less than $5,000 nor more than $7,500 if, at the time of the violation, the person did not know, respectively, that he or she did not possess a valid operator's license or that his or her operating privilege was suspended; or 2) is guilty of a Class I felony if the person knew.  A Class I felony is punishable by…  [continues with descriptions of fines and prison terms]
          https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/...  (bolding mine)
          A combination of stronger licensing laws & insurance requirements might not the whole solution for reducing gun violence, but I think they should be explored, along with the ideas that 43north and some others have put forward.

I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble.

by Joy of Fishes on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 05:36:52 PM PST

•  It is actually very easy to get a substantial (7+ / 0-)

liability insurance policy for firearm accidents.  Join the NRA.  Annual dues are not that expensive.  However, there is no insurance for sale anywhere for any price that covers illegal acts.

Passing a mandatory insurance law is a guaranteed way to swell the already large ranks of the NRA.

by Otteray Scribe on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:31:48 PM PST

•  I'm not worried ... (5+ / 0-)

... about the NRA right now.  Perhaps I would be if I knew more.  But at this point I am thinking that the NRA would be happy with having increased demand for membership and insurance because it brings in more money, making them part of the solution.  Change in mix of membership could shift their focus back to safety and education.  And they surely would not be the only player - other insurers will step in to meet demand.

As for illegal acts, we have criminal laws & we can build on programs that already exist, such as crime victim compensation funds.

I am sure there are dozens of reasons any particular idea might not be feasible.  But I think we can find a solution if we work together.

Take care, OS.  It's always good to see you in these threads.

I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble.

by Joy of Fishes on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:29:07 PM PST

•  JoF, I was a life member until the crazies (6+ / 0-)

took over about thirty or so years ago. That was when I cancelled my membership. I can tell you that the main danger to the progressive cause will be the non-stop right wing propaganda mailings that go out to all members.  Some of it is very clever and appeals to people's deepest fears.  Those folks on the fence or who are naive will be sucked into the whirlpool of right wing nuttiness.  I am not in favor of anything that will push people to join the NRA.  There is far more risk of losing Dem votes than changing the organization.

by Otteray Scribe on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:43:34 PM PST

•  There is an amusing German solution (4+ / 0-)

They take the car as evidence, and hold it while your license is suspended.  After all, they need proof that you were driving the car.

If it was the family car, and the teenager lost daddy's car, well, that is a purely family matter.

We can have change for the better.

by phillies on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 03:38:06 AM PST

•  Around here, you can get some rustbucket (2+ / 0-)
        happymisanthropy, Pluto

for anywhere from two to five hundred dollars.  If you go by the county impound yard, the place is full of them.  And people actually buy them at the Sheriff's annual auction.  Guess what happens to them then?

by Otteray Scribe on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:21:57 PM PST