View Diary: Can you work against the social safety net and still call yourself a Democrat? (173 comments)

•  Yes. It's Been a Conservative Party for Years. (11+ / 0-)

It's come to support under-taxation of the rich, market and income concentration, free trade and outsized military spending among other conservative policies.

There's plenty of room in the Democratic Party for social safety net cutters.

The question is can progressives take back the party? I don't know. I do know that we don't yet have a progressive infrastructure for creating progressive Democratic candidates. Till that begins to happen, I don't see much chance of the party becoming progressive again.

by Gooserock on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 07:43:01 AM PST

•  The first question is can progressives have any (4+ / 0-)

leverage in the party.  I mean I can handle the big tent idea if we've all got an equal shot at center ring.  As it is, progressives seem to be relegated to cleaning the animal cages while the show goes on out front.

If the Progressive Caucus cannot muster the will or the power to be in the show then it's time we find a way to take our show outside the tent and give the circus some competition.

•  When your tent gets too big.... (3+ / 0-)
      tardis10, joe shikspack, shaharazade

This is also a function of the republican party going too far right. When moderates of the party didn't like where they were going they became "Democrats," but didn't change any of their views.

And we welcomed them.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 08:57:07 AM PST

•  You nailed it. The mistake is when the tent gets (3+ / 0-)
        tardis10, joe shikspack, shaharazade

too big.  These corporatist, so-called centrists Republicans and Democrats should have formed their own party.  Apparently, liberals were asleep at the wheel.  And look where they are now.  Totally "marginalized."

Here's one of the first of many pieces, I'm sure, that's beating the drum for "liberals" to shut up.

"Liberals Nip Obama As He Battle Republicans," Bloomberg View, by Jonathan Alter.  Here's the link.

So predictable . . .

Mollie

“If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

by musiccitymollie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 09:22:01 AM PST

•  So, do we shrink the tent? (2+ / 0-)
          tytalus, poco

Create one's own?

I'm wondering how that would impact electoral wins and subsequent progressive policy being implemented.

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by Onomastic on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 09:42:21 AM PST

•  that would be a very interesting (4+ / 0-)

topic of discussion on DKos I think. Seems like the Party's Tent will get shrunk, or shift if/when teabuggers nudge moderate centrist GOP's over to a moderate centrist Dem party. Do we progressives stay and fight for "our" party or do we bail? And for the people who already have been bailing or are considering it, where is there to go? Occupy 3.0? I dont know.

I do know that my teenage daughter, who will be able to vote in 2016 as will her agemates, they do not feel the same kind of party loyalty, history, that me & my agemates (the children of the FDR gen) do. My kid's generation will be staring Climate Change Crisis square in the face and it is their prime of life adulthood & beyond that's at stake there. I would hope for their sakes that they arent forced to choose* between an ineffective moderate Dem Party OR taking it to the streets, but I fear thats what it will come down to for them, if progressives fail to address much needed core values party issues now.

*GOP's just not even an option... on social issues, this next generation is way way left of "center" for the most part.

Get out there and get peace, think peace, live peace, and breathe peace, and you'll get it as soon as you like.” ~ John Lennon

by Lady Libertine on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:06:31 AM PST

•  I share the same concerns for my children and (2+ / 0-)
              Lady Libertine, joe shikspack

grand boys.

But I tend to look at the electorate as the key. How we reach the majority of people is something I still don't have an answer to but to keep on slogging away, one conversation at a time, LTE, etc.

We just don't have the infrastructure that the far right has had for decades and building that, imo, is key.

The country still seems badly divided to me and until and unless that is healed, I'm not sure how we get anywhere nearly fast enough.

If nothing else, having the Tea Party, theocrats, big money vampires, etc revealed for what they are over the last months has been a crucial step towards sanity.

Unfortunately, they still have far too much power in Federal and State legislatures.

And that's something that has to change sooner rather than later.

by Onomastic on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:46:28 AM PST

•  Onomastic and Lady Libertine--Wish I had the (4+ / 0-)

answer as to "what to do."  LOL!

I remember hearing Ted Sorensen, a former special counsel to JFK, say on Air America Radio only a year or so before he died, that the Democratic Party base should be aware that the Democratic Party leadership loves "wedge issues," the same as Republicans.  This is because they keep their members distracted, while the Party leadership carries out the agenda of the One Percent.

I was stunned that someone whom I thought was probably a Washington insider, would be that direct.

Guess we'll all need to 'sleep on this one.'

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 11:18:03 AM PST

•  have to do something... (4+ / 0-)
            “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both.”

-- Frederick Douglass

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 10:18:41 AM PST

•  jonathan alter wants you to keep it zipped... (2+ / 0-)
          aliasalias, fuzzyguy

what a surprise!

A few liberals even complained that Obama violated his principles by compromising. They must not have listened to him all year. One of his most important -- and most frequently stated -- principles is that compromise is essential to governing.
          yes, we all know that obama's most closely held principle is that he has no principle that he won't compromise away to appear to have made a deal.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 09:52:14 AM PST

•  Thanks for reading the piece. VERY, VERY typical (1+ / 0-)
            joe shikspack

Jonathan Alter.

He sure can dish out the 'anti-liberal' propaganda.

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 11:20:38 AM PST

•  yep... good article... (1+ / 0-)
              aliasalias

will put it in my news roundup in the evening blues diary tonight for others to read and enjoy.  alter is a joke.  he is one of what i call "liberal opinion gatekeepers."  he and some other pundits are in charge of suppressing liberal outrage at the stupid crap that the democrats (and especially obama) do.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority