View Diary: Can you work against the social safety net and still call yourself a Democrat? (173 comments)

•  I take a middle way on that point (8+ / 0-)

He didn't invent it, but he sure isn't fighting it. Far from it. He's providing a sane, calm, friendly face for terrible policies.

Without him, they would have had a very difficult time moving the party this far to the right. He's there, as Reagan was, to make these awful ideas look nice.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 08:27:12 AM PST

•  I read somewhere that while some may say (6+ / 0-)

elections are about the lesser of two evils, you made a good case that Obama is the more effective evil, as he has made a myriad of policies that would be toxic under a Bush, palatable to most of America.

Obama: self-described moderate Republican

by The Dead Man on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 08:40:19 AM PST

•  Though personally I think "evil" is too strong (1+ / 0-)
        joe shikspack

these are politicians, so its more deep seated selfishness, vanity and sociopathy.

Obama: self-described moderate Republican

by The Dead Man on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 08:42:03 AM PST

•  I used to think that (5+ / 0-)

and I am averse to the casual use of the word "evil".  But we are definitely there now, imho.  The word is now appropriate especially in the context of war crimes and surveillance.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 08:45:55 AM PST

•  or they can be nice human beings who are (3+ / 0-)

idealogues whose ideal is compromise.

❧To thine ownself be true

by Agathena on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 08:47:08 AM PST

•  Yeah. I disagree with the evil or sociopath (2+ / 0-)
            joe shikspack, tardis10

labels.

•  Compromising on dinner (4+ / 0-)

Person A wants Friend Chicken
            Person B wants broken glass with shredded tire

So they eat fried glass.

Compromise is not an ideal, it is a method of bargaining.

Obama: self-described moderate Republican

by The Dead Man on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 09:30:02 AM PST

•  I wiegh in on 'teh evil' (6+ / 0-)

up to the Bush's selection I was able to believe that the DLC end of the party was just ideological and the result of Reagen Democrats.  I didn't like the direction and  policies during Clinton's administration but it didn't alarm me.  Towards the end  with NAFTA and 'welfare reform' and the fly over bombing/sanctions of Irag I started getting queasy. I still believed however that the opposition to both the Republican 'coup' and the DLC Clinton Machine end of the party could be countered by a coalition of grass root Democrat's.  Lot's of people were alarmed at what was going down especially Democrat's and the lefties.

Thirteen years later I now think that this was a by-partisan coup and while along time in the making it really is teh evil. Ideology can be evil it often is and I find it hard to find anything nice about people especially politicians who seek to impose through political power their sociopathic brutal ideology on the world at large. On a personal level it's irrelevant whether they treat their dog nice or have a lovely family or they have 'good' intentions. No human is all good or all evil and I can have compassion for those devoid of humanity but I do not want them to have power.

Obama and the Dems. appealed to our better angels, he was sold as the opposite of the really creepy evil Bushies. To me this is almost worse then the overt evil the Bush regime implemented. no way could you look at Cheney and not know that this was indeed the Dark Side. Marketing and propaganda can sell a lot of evil especially if the packaging is nice and pretty.

But what's confusing you
            Is just the nature of my game
            Just as every cop is a criminal
            And all the sinners saints
            As heads is tails
            Just call me Lucifer
            Cause I'm in need of some restraint
            So if you meet me
            Have some courtesy
            Have some sympathy, and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse
            Or I'll lay your soul to waste