View Diary: Peak Rail – the ‘restart’ of something big! (44 comments)

•  Part of my life died when the SP went into UP (3+ / 0-)

yep, had so identified with the Southern Pacific all my life that when it ws finally subsumed by the Union Pacific it was like a blank hole,  train watching for me after that got more boring---now its the hated UP Armor yellow and Grey. (think: the Borg!)
    By that time the UP  had already devoured the Western Pacific and Burlington Northern had joined the Santa Fe.
    Always thought this was unfair because altho the UP had been in bankruptcy several times, the SP never was, it ALWAYS paid the bills. The UP should have become the SP but life's just unfair sometimes, or so I'm told.
    So now there's only UP and some short lines where I live but some of Oregon's short lines are still running. This is all former SP territory, SP once pretty nearly owned it all.

The P&W shortline that comes here has an old GP9 with SP "Black Widow" colors because the line's owner likes that color scheme

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 09:10:00 AM PST

•  I know the feeling well.. (2+ / 0-)
      blue armadillo, Joy of Fishes

....I grew up walking across the fields and through the woods - not to Grandma's house (that was in the OTHER direction) - but to watch the fast express trains hammer north on their way to Sheffield or Leeds or Glasgow, or the slow plodding of the incredibly long coal trains heading south to the ring of power stations close to London. The former Midland Railway ruled our world (grouped into the LMS - London, Midland, Scottish). The four entities which were consolidated after the 'Grouping' in 1923 were the Great Western Railway, London, Midland Scottish, Southern Railway and the London & North Eastern Railway.

These seemed to be set in stone, and each had its devoted supporters. Sadly, all this diversity (in railway design, local colour schemes, locomotives designed to match local topography, signalling schemes and more) was swept away when the monolithic 'British Railways' was formed in 1947 (latterly 'British Rail')

However, the sell-off by the Conservative Government and subsequent establishment of many small, inefficient and privatised railway companies, running railway stock over lines that they do NOT own (public ownership of the non-profitmaking  permanent way was ensured, of course) has made many LONG for the return of nationalised railways!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 09:26:16 AM PST

•  I grew up by the SP tracks (1+ / 0-)
        shortfinals

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 11:24:40 AM PST

•  Sorry a bout that (2+ / 0-)
          shortfinals, Otteray Scribe

not my day for posts, I just lost an extensive post I will try to reconstruct

I grew up in the San francisco East Bay Area. The SP roared through town on a triple track express way. The Santa fe sorta snuck into town fro the big yard in Richmond. the Western Pacific also came into Oakland.

Wow, they were something to look at: The SP dealt with a varied terrain---from Portland to San Frncisco to Los Angeles to texas to New Orleans, LA. Late when i grew up as a teenager and later I hopped freights all over, it was kind of a hobby, guerilla transportation.
           The SP had the greatest variety of engines from these Cab Forward behemoths (unique to the SP) to the beautifu Daylights below. You can see more aboot the cab forward here, the one you ee is in the California State railroad museum.
          they still have a restored, running "Daylight" as picdured below, up here in Portland, #4449
          Photobucket
          Photobucket

The Black Widow scheme referred to above is the first one, on a model GP9. This was the Frieght scheme for Diesel engines, passenger engine got the Daylight scheme above.
          The SP ended with the "Bloody Nose scheme on the bottom
          Photobucket
          Photobucket

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 11:33:50 AM PST

•  Thank you SO much for this....lots of work for you (1+ / 0-)
            exlrrp

....and I enjoyed it immensely. The 'cab forward is....interesting! The 'Daylight' however, looks absolutely superb.

It reminds me of the two British attempts to run streamlined steam. The LNER's 'A4' locomotives, designed by Sir Nigel Gresley were intended to sustain 100mph, and were used on the long haul London to Edinburgh service. '4468' "Mallard" still holds the world speed record for a steam locomotive at 125.88mph (3rd July, 1938). It is seen here at the National Railway Museum, York.

The LMS system countered with the 'Coronation' class of locomotives. These were not as speedy (c.110mph), but gave sterling service on the London to Glasgow route (the 'Coronation' class were later de-streamlined, whereas the A4's only lost the portion of their superstructure over their running gear)

If any US rail fan makes it over the Pond, the National Railway Museum is an absolute must for your bucket list, (plus the fabulous WW2 airfield and Yorkshire Air Museum is only 6 miles outside the city!)

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 12:37:51 PM PST

•  I am SO going to see that now (1+ / 0-)
              shortfinals

I have to spend more time over there I can see. Loved riding the trains while there. Always been entranced by France and italy, and I speak Spanish but I'd like to see more of England and Scotland too.

The 4449 has its own museum home now but it does still run excirsions sometimes. Ive been trackside to see it go by several times.
               Steam engines take a lot of maintenance. The joke is: the worst thing you can do  to a steam engine is not run it----and the 2d worst thing you can do is run it.

The SP was my favorite because they ran steam the longest, untill late 1957 and afterwards on excurssion ervice. ( In fairness to the UP theyre STILL running steam )

I guess hopping a freight to get out of town is so unEnglish but its as American as Doritos and apple pie, I bet 20% or more of country songs are on that topic alone. American railroaading is moving big loads long distances you feel part of a huge process around them.
               hear that lonesome whistle blow.

Happy just to be alive