View Diary: A.I.G. May Sue U.S. Gov’t For $25 Billion As It Airs “Thank You, America!” TV Ad (205 comments)

•  So why would any judge entertain this nonsense? (3+ / 0-)
    bobswern, mindara, SilentBrook

The judge in New York is making it sound like AIG made a perfectly legal deal with the Feds and wants to back out of it after the fact.  Breach of contract?  I don't know, I'm not a lawyer or a banker, but this seems pretty gd simple to me

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 12:28:27 AM PST

•  Having been on both sides of commercial... (6+ / 0-)

...litigation in my career, multiple times, I can safely say that when you have beau coup bucks, the legal system is yours for the taking...like a blue light special at KMart! And, in any event, the chances of it even making it to court, unless they want to put together a new act in the D.C. kabuki (which certainly isn't out of the question), are usually pretty low when it comes to litigation cases, in general.  (They even discuss the potential for a settlement in today's NY Times piece.)

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 12:37:15 AM PST

•  But why settle? (2+ / 0-)
        bobswern, mindara

Just to save on the cost of litigation?  Sounds like a shakedown.  Could a judge conceivably say "This is bs and the plaintiff has to pay the defendant's costs?"

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 12:48:19 AM PST

•  That's the way the legal system works... (2+ / 0-)
          lostinamerica, happymisanthropy

...especially in civil court...most cases are settled (out-of-court)...it's just the way things are done (or, the way they play out, so to speak).

by bobswern on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 01:09:37 AM PST

•  But couldn't Treasury have demanded that AIG... (1+ / 0-)
          JesseCW

....agree to no future litigation against the government as a condition for full government divestment of AIG shares?

Learn about Centrist Economics, learn about Robert Rubin's Hamilton Project. www.hamiltonproject.org

by PatriciaVa on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 11:59:11 AM PST

•  Then again, this is low-hanging kabuki fruit... (3+ / 0-)
        mindara, lostinamerica, JesseCW

...for all the opportunists looking to hitch a free ride on the D.C. media-opp train...

by bobswern on Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 12:53:37 AM PST