View Diary: My life during Jim Crow (60 comments)

•  No..and still doesn't. Isn't that sad? (3+ / 0-)

They can be kind people and yet rage of hate for anything that is not just their way.  Their talk, their culture, their color, their gender, their choice of love.  They are very intolerant of change or difference in mind thought.  I have a good friend from HS school or was a good friend and noticed she married a black man and has been married for years, has children and I am not sure how many of her old classmates really is her friend or just an old name from HS on a facebook page.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:41:37 PM PST

•  You know what I have thought of talking about (1+ / 0-)
      glorificus

race to her in our many emails.  I never have. Maybe because the south is stil strange as they were for Mitt Romney.

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:45:12 PM PST

•  I Am A Miltary Brat (1+ / 0-)
      Vetwife

I've lived in a lot of places. Dad social service for the DoD so we didn't ever live on a base. We lived in the town around the base. I had never heard anybody stereotype me that way. It wasn't pleasant.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:47:48 PM PST

•  You were an outsider.. those people are (2+ / 0-)
        glorificus, greengemini

consumed with fear.. Fear of change.  I embraced it.
        I knew as a kid it wasn't that hot !  Second grade a little boy from Philadelphia named Grady was made fun of because he talked funny and didn't say mam.   The teacher said, " But he says yes so politely."

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:51:43 PM PST

•  I knew it wasn't kewl but still I said nothing (3+ / 0-)
          erratic, glorificus, texasmom

but I sang this song in every show I did as a kid and in my band.  I also was proud that Peter Yarrow hugged me when I got the chance to tell him this story in so many words.

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:19:01 PM PST

•  I probably saw this on TV, way back then....... (1+ / 0-)
            Vetwife

I cried. Why doesn't Pr. Obama get the picture?

•  He was too young (0+ / 0-)

but he has his own demons of hate coming his way.  Based on racism.  His situation may be the worst kind..
              Wrestling inwardly with the white man who lives in him.
              He cannot say too much...He is already accused of hating white peope.

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 05:59:58 PM PST