View Diary: My life during Jim Crow (60 comments)

•  Wonderful diary. (3+ / 0-)
    Vetwife, webranding, glorificus

Whenever I hear someone use the N*** word I automatically think of them as 'white trash.'
    I grew up as an Air Force brat & racism wasn't tolerated.
    When I saw it off base it made me sad & mad & glad I lived on base.

Something that doesn't make good sense, makes bad sense. That means someone is being deliberately hurtful & selfish. Look for motives behind actions & words.

by CA wildwoman on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:59:14 PM PST

•  I actually think Ignorant now...I thought it (1+ / 0-)
      glorificus

was an actual word back in the fifties.  Not in the 60's.

Thought this was odd in Wikepedia

As recently as the 1950s, it may have been acceptable British usage to say niggers when referring to black people, notable in mainstream usages such as Nigger Boy–brand[citation needed] candy cigarettes, and the color nigger brown or simply nigger (dark brown); [11] however, by the 1970s the term was generally recognized as racist, offensive and potentially illegal along with the unambiguously offensive "nig-nog", and "golliwog". As recently as 2007, the term nigger brown reappeared in the model label of a Chinese-made sofa, presumably from an out-dated translation source.[12] Agatha Christie's book Ten Little Niggers was first published in London in 1939 and continued to appear under that title until the early 1980s, when it became And Then There Were None.[13][14]

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:07:02 PM PST

•  I Live In The Town I Grew Up In (3+ / 0-)
      Vetwife, glorificus, greengemini

near a huge Air Force base my dad was last stationed at. You know in like 1986 the smartest and most popular people were African American or Asian in my highschool. When I first saw racism in college I was confused. Very confused. I couldn't compute.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:09:21 PM PST

•  I don't understand how I accepted (4+ / 0-)

so many things as normal when I was young.  My 7 year old would never tolerate bigotry or racism or bullying.
        She would speak up in a heartbeat.   Kids are smarter today I guess.

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:11:59 PM PST

•  Good For You! (2+ / 0-)
          Vetwife, glorificus

If I could take you back to where I lived in Leavenworth KS (1976 time) when my father was a professor at the Army War College  to the school I went to and show you the way I used to run home to get away from being bullied.

That your kid will stand up for those having that done to them is about the coolest thing I've heard today.

Later my father when I told him what was happening he taught me to defend myself. To break your arm or make you  "tap" out. But before that, it was about the most terrible thing in the world.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:24:17 PM PST

•  even stranger would be that many of the (1+ / 0-)
          Vetwife

victims of racism defended the system of racism as being the natural order of things.  Especially among older African Americans in the 1950s, upstarts in the civil rights movement were seen as trouble makers and only making things worse

•  yes... There was so much confusion (1+ / 0-)
            glorificus

as the natural order of things was easier than change.
            I heard the president speak in 04 and my eyes lit up.  I told my husband when he spoke at the onvention.. You are watching the future and rising greatness.   He recalled that talk when he got the nomination.
            I knew then, that he was a star on the rise.

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:40:23 PM PST

•  My little girl is about the bravest child (2+ / 0-)
        webranding, glorificus

I know.  She is in tune to so very much..I try to shield her as much as possible from the wrongs but she never leaves my side so, she knows quite a bit for a child her age...except to go to school and then she talks about the wrongs of people....One of a kind with a peace sign on everything.

by Vetwife on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:31:44 PM PST