View Diary: Talk Me Down -- A New Service to the Kos Community (152 comments)

•  Your HR was appropriate. (6+ / 0-)

Besides the basic DBAD rule, a diarist is not to engage with a commenter in their own diary. Clearly diarist did so.

I get to choose, and I choose love.

by Melanie in IA on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:16:43 AM PST

•  Then there are rec's coming after a HR. (5+ / 0-)

I don't know what the rules are anymore, because they seem to be all over the place in application.   Is there definitive guidance?

I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble.

by Joy of Fishes on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:39:52 AM PST

•  If I recall correctly, people have been NR'd (6+ / 0-)

for uprating a comment after it has been hidden, although with only 1 Hide Rate, that comment was not actually Hidden.

(I think NR stands for No Recommending. Those with this status can comment and write diaries but not Recommend comments or diaries.)

[ps - love ya too, Joy of Fishes! ;-) ]

•  It is not all in one place. (6+ / 0-)

Scattered through a variety of diaries, comments, FAQs. Frankly, that is one huge failing of the community moderation attempt. The community as a whole CHANGES and loses some institutional memory over time, the rules evolve, and there is no easy means to access them.

But I have seen many times (where oh where??) that the diarist is not to engage. Presumably that would be one rule that would not change.

I get to choose, and I choose love.

by Melanie in IA on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:56:33 AM PST

•  there is no rule against engaging the rule is a (6+ / 0-)

diarist is not to TR in their own diary and TBK did not...

I actually think his response was rather mild considering what the commenter accused him of and he does have a way with words....

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
          I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
          Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 08:58:53 AM PST

•  I would disagree with this: (5+ / 0-)
            I actually think his response was rather mild

I get to choose, and I choose love.

by Melanie in IA on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 09:12:56 AM PST

•  sometimes Bless your Heart just is not enough and (3+ / 0-)
              2thanks, shaharazade, KenBee

anyone who can come up with unvaccinated corncob has a way with words.

Considering he was replying to a comment accusing him of supporting the idiot in question in the diary, I would have to disagree with your disagreement......

I would much rather read a funny FU than the same old stale                                                                                   Troll !!!

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
              I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
              Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:08:29 PM PST

•  I've replied to blatant, single-purpose... (1+ / 0-)
                Melanie in IA

multiple-comment trolls in a similar manner, but this was not the situation in this particular instance, at least as far as I could tell.

Coming up with cleaver retorts is something I enjoy as well, but that doesn't mean it's always the best way to handle a rogue comment.

I wouldn't necessarily have replied "I love you, please love my diary, and I'll do anything to convince you of my good intentions" either, but "fuck you" strikes me as a little harsh for a single comment in an otherwise reasonably civil diary.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:38:07 PM PST

•  you should go back in the archives and read some (1+ / 0-)
                  Wee Mama

of the stuff when this was a smaller community if you want to see nasty.  Armando v1.0 could flay the skin off of an idiot and MaryScott was a master of invective.

This is but a pale shadow of the dkos of old....another one to ck is DHinMI for some seriously nasty responses to foolish comments.   We are like a Sunday School in comparison.....

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
                  I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
                  Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:11:31 PM PST

•  I actually have... (0+ / 0-)

I was reading the original "pie fight" diaries the other day.

MSOC comes to mind as well.

I thought the idea was to move away from that kind of discourse.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:45:27 PM PST

•  Minus the "fuck you" and (1+ / 0-)
            Joy of Fishes

the "cordially go fuck yourself with an unvaccinated corncob," I would have agreed and even tipped the comment instead of HRing it.

Everything else in the comment was spot-on. Adding the rest was just a show of temper, which, in a community striving for civil discourse, is what we try to avoid, I think.

~ Jerry Garcia