View Diary: Aaron Swartz' Death Is Our Legacy (262 comments)

•  JSTOR is not a corporation (1+ / 0-)
    jessical

It's a consortium of academic libraries.  It's quite important.  So, who should pay for if not the users who subscribe.   I don't see the public rushing forward to fund it from general funds

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 08:35:18 PM PST

•  Yeah well (2+ / 0-)
      mrkvica, Just Bob

It would be good if they had individual subscriptions within reason for mere mortals, but all that seems beside the point somehow.  Lots of young hackerati have done over the top stuff.  If he'd ever been corporate dev he'd have known just what kind of shit goes down if you put a server in a closet and strip a database.  But you don't destroy people for that in an even modestly sane society.  Granted, we destroy people daily for far less.  But I think that just reinforces the point that our criminal justice system is not well tempered with mercy, at this juncture.

...j'ai découvert que tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos dans une chambre.

by jessical on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 08:48:30 PM PST

•  I agree and disagree (4+ / 0-)
        ladasue, sviscusi, stegro, AgavePup

First JSTOR ought to have reasonable individual subscriptions.   I should suggest that

However as someone who has suffered from depression I find this narrative that a prosecutor made this happen distasteful and disrespectful.  People mostly don't commit suicide except out of deep pain that comes from other places.  Lots of people get prosecuted without killing themselves.   This kind of feels like cheap political point scoring on the back of some intense human misery.  It doesn't sit well with me

by Mindful Nature on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 10:26:03 PM PST

•  for what its worth (1+ / 0-)
          Just Bob

My own experience of suicide among my friends, and in those cases where I have contemplated, comes down to the phrase "love y'all, not enough".  Or as another friend said, I could not endure it anymore.  Some of that is from within and some without, but it is one of the best arguments for mercy and proportionality in systems of justice and in all social systems, including that among friends and lovers, that I know.  I do not think that recognizing we are a mix of fragility and competence, moved toward life or death by both ourselves and by what we see and understand as the world we live in, is a cheap political point on the back of human misery.  Some people are hardy and some are not.  Some are hardy on Monday and fragile on Wednesday.  I very much think that legal and financial systems, systems of expedience and power,  should recognize that, though they never will.  I will readily concede my view is foolish and unrealistic, but I do not think it is cheap.   Mileage varies.

by jessical on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 05:27:00 AM PST

•  yeah, we can afford pointless wars (2+ / 0-)
      shigeru, theunreasonableHUman

but not information sharing.

•  Information results in knowledge. (3+ / 0-)
        Lady Libertine, melo, shaharazade

Knowledge  can turn to power.
        Power must be reserved for the well-connected.
        The well-connected have money and will pay for the information.
        Hence anyone who tries to get information without paying for it is a thief. And worse is not only a thief from the well-connected, but is also enabling knowledge to fall into the hands of the unwashed. Who might then gain some power.

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law. ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

by shigeru on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 10:57:40 PM PST

•  Well, so it would seem (1+ / 0-)
        stargaze

As they say, it'll be a great day when schools and universities have the money they need and the military has to hold a bake sale to build a bomber.

It isn't a good system, but since we don't fund it, the subscription model is what they've gone with.

I wonder they might try making it open to the public, but request contributions from the institutional users.  After all, people will contribute to causes they value to pay what they see as the fair value.

So, you are absolutely right on what we should do, but I don't think vilifying JSTOR is a good plan given that context.

As an aside  It seems that institutions of higher learning and research were kind of a whacked target for Swartz to go after in this day and age, really. Given the number of evil corporations and hate groups out there doing real harm, it's a strange choice of target

by Mindful Nature on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:23:06 AM PST

•  THE COST OF KNOWLEDGE (0+ / 0-)
          But a subset of the evil corporations are those who publish academic journals.

This bill was very much alive when Swartz copied articles from JSTOR.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 11:46:14 AM PST

•  As a former academic (0+ / 0-)

I'm pretty aware of the vicious attacks that come at you from left and right. THe right thinks we're trying to destroy the life of young Americans by teaching them that JEsus didn't ride on dinosaurs and the left thinks that we're all just stupid tools of evil corporations.

Please note, JSTOR is not run by Elsevier. If you want to target page charges, knock yourself out.   Attacking the folks who produce new knowledge to help solve the problems we face?  I'm sorry, you'll find me in opposition

by Mindful Nature on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 07:32:14 PM PST

•  Perhaps you should reply to what I wrote rather (0+ / 0-)

than what you think you read.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 04:17:03 AM PST