View Diary: Family & Friends Blame U.S. Attorney for Aaron Swartz's Death (181 comments)

•  he extinguished his own light! (7+ / 0-)

please, I am sorry beyond words that anyone so young felt so low - BUT he isn't the first person ever prosecuted!  Nor the first person who ever felt prosecuted unjustly....

There has to be more to this than meets the eye here. His family and friends need to try understand why he felt so low - was there really no support mechanism for him?! Why such despair...

I also suspect that the President has other things to do than worry about one prosecution - don't you want the AG to be fairly independent?

And as for comparing Holder unfavourably to Gonzalez - please.

•  Always , always an apologist (17+ / 0-)

who is around to defend the indefensible for a single reason. Political expediency. You and the people who are like you are the worst of the worst. It's only because of the myriad of apologists that an administration who makes a mockery out of the rule of law can get it's strength.

•  sorry I think you are being rude (4+ / 0-)

about this post, but you don't make your point clearly so it may be that your criticism will pass without trace.

What do you say is 'indefensible'?  Prosecuting the man, or something else?  Do all defendants kill themselves in the US, do say - or is there something different about this one?

What I see is a comment that you have not responded to save with a personal attack.  Very unimpressive.

•  Rude? How is one expected to act (2+ / 0-)
          Laconic Lib, lyvwyr101

when supposedly intelligent people put their politics before country. But here , like most political sites, some people are more concerned with how it reflects on a single individual such as Obama, than they are with anything else.

There is no such thing as being rude to people who think like that. If you want to call it rude fine. I call it not rude enough.

•  still no actual response.... (0+ / 0-)
            •  A Two Tier Rule of law (1+ / 0-)
              jplanner

Take this quick quiz:

With limited resources which body of law do you triage as more important to society to prosecute :

1. Mortgage Fraud Laws that have been around for decades that banks deliberately broke to rob homeowners of all the monies paid in and ultimately the roof over the heads of  millions.

2. Security fraud which investment banks , depository banks and their bank holding companies broke with impunity that emptied the retirement accounts of millions.

3. Copyright Law of the United States of America
              and Related Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code , focus on § 506 that had been around since 1998 ( as that contains the criminal offenses that were used in this travesty of justice).

If you picked 3, and indicated it was more important than 1 or 2 merely by omitting 1 & 2  from from a bogus analysis that came from a ex-attorney ( huh, wonder why she is an ex-attorney), then you too are an apologist for a DOJ that is run by two white collar criminal defense attorneys with virtually no experience in Prosecution that have tight client relationships (held in a Blind Trust) with the very banks that broke the laws embodied in items one and two so many times,  they required what is expected to reach 23 trillion dollars in bailouts.

It has been, it is  and will be causing the economy to slowly and completely disintegrate as an  illegal transfer of economic wealth from the very many to the very few occurs daily.

The prosecution she was defending from this joke of a justice department consisted of some academic documents that had been paid for three times by taxpayers and for that he was to get 30 years.  The reason she was defending this, by pointing her mouse and typing "He did it" (showing her expertise in the fundamentals of presumption of innocence was slim  to none) was for political expediency ie. defending Obama from the indefensible.

Note: In Items One and Two evidence of guilt is being sent in via truckloads, multi-hundred page reports compiled by former prosecutors now sitting senators,  and via broadband by whistleblowers, onlookers, experts, former regulators, and by documentaries  that take "beyond reasonable doubt" to Beyond ANY doubt.

Specific enough?

•  She's correct, though. (4+ / 0-)
        Jersey Jon, mattoqp, VClib, NYFM

There's obviously more to this sad case than a Prosecutor starting with their typical play before trial, which is the most severe penalty possible that's pertinent to the case.  I don't often hear them start from the low end and work back up again.

Depression and the fact that what he did was likely illegal are to be considered, as well.  I have much sympathy for his friends and family, but let's have open minds on what may have been a factor, here.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 10:30:12 AM PST

•  She is an apologist (2+ / 0-)
          Laconic Lib, lyvwyr101

You are apologizing for an apologist. That makes you as bad as she is. If she is like most around here and I do believe she is, she is more concerned with how this reflects on Obama than what this prosecutor is doing to abuse prosecutorial discretion on body of law that has been universally derided as a product of the greedy and blind lobbying the greedy and blind.

As an ex attorney, the fact that She is apologizing for this , also makes her an ex-attorney who is  also apologizing for a  two tiered rule of Law that has been taken farther in this administration than any other. Where the wheels of Justice are directed to grind over those least able to defend themselves over laws that are a product of public corruption.

Meanwhile Laws that are generally on the books for the public good are ignored because the perps are likely holding the keys to prosecutors 7 and 8 figure futures.

She isn't right. But she is leaning way to the right.

•  I'm not a apologizing for anybody (2+ / 0-)
            VClib, NYFM

and have no stake in your silly cliques or definition of such.

This is what I am looking at objectively, especially considering what I read about Aaron by people who knew him more intimately in yesterday's reports and editorials.

Turning down someone's position just because you don't like their larger stance on some meta-issue is ridiculous, IMHO.  The issues which came together here are tragic, but this is not a cut-and-dried case for any argument I've seen which fails to include the factors mentioned above.

by wader on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 04:07:37 PM PST

•  You call the rule of law a silly Cliche? (0+ / 1-)
              Hidden by:
              jplanner

Hey, try this one one. FUCK YOU!

•  Nice. (1+ / 0-)
                wader

Cliche is a word.
                Clique is a word.
                They're not the same word.

•  Guess you lost context and/or meaning (0+ / 0-)

in addition to your decorum.

Perhaps consider that I was addressing a virtual clique of pro-Obama posters which you implied harbored the above commenter as a member, and I clearly noted that such silly groupings and either pro- (or anti-) were not for me - i.e., I was posting as an individual - perhaps you might reconsider the meaning of my post and actually address the points, rather than acting like an enraged buffoon.

by wader on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:51:24 PM PST

•  My apologies (3+ / 0-)
                  twigg, wader, NYFM

I don't know you and went off. It happens. It won't be the first and it won't be the last. Either way, it was unacceptable and you have my full apologies.

Lets just end this and I'm happy  to say you showed far more class than I did.

Have a nice day

•  what a charmless pillock you are (0+ / 0-)

I am not American you know - I don't conceal it, but you may find it relevant.  I don't politics before country - not even my own.  I try to not to be too judgemental.

I am the worst of the worst?  Jeez your standards are odd.  Where do you put supporters of waterboarding? Members of the KKK?

Where do you stand on Garry McKinnon (google him, go on - a Scot in his 40s) which was an earlier case of prosecutorial excitement - begun under Shrub.

My first thought on reading Schwartz' story was how dreadfully sad for any 26 year old to think that this was the way to proceed,  and that he didn't feel there was any helpful support for him.  I can't blame this all on the prosecutor here being so heavy handed.

I don't see any point in discussing anything with you, since you have made up your mind and have condemned the current administration.... for your own sake please take time out and think again about all this.  If you start regretting the passing of Gonzales from the DoJ, you are in for a world of hurt.

•  I say please do. (3+ / 0-)
      Dburn, lyvwyr101, FishBiscuit
      And as for comparing Holder unfavourably to Gonzalez - please.
      Holder's actions have been a disgrace.
    •  He was a fucking genius. Of course he had issues. (4+ / 0-)

His prosecutors/persecutors threatened him with a life sentence. That would make the healthiest 26-year-old fell "low", as your so dismissively put it. They might as well have put a bullet through his head.

They helped kill a genius of incalculable value to the human race. I hope they'e miserable for the rest of their lives.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 11:49:15 AM PST

•  In the meantime- (2+ / 0-)
        elizabethgurley, FishBiscuit

Washington sucks up to the war criminals---the fraudsters---the bankers---and various lobbying groups.

Pleasant---eh?

Harass an incredibly brilliant and innovative young man to death?

Yup.

Prosecute real criminals?

Nope.

The Onion says----scholars have discovered---the Mayan word for "Apocalypse" in fact---translates more accurately as: "Time of pale obese gun monsters."

by lyvwyr101 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 02:46:31 PM PST

•  (this is why not having a gun at hand is good) (0+ / 0-)

because it could have been a low moment, a low few days or weeks

If I felt my life was not worth living...and i have felt that way before...it would take too much effort to make a plan, gather the materials and execute it. The feeling of wanting it to be over doesn't last long enough for many people, I think, to do that

Have a gun your vague inklings of ending it and then a bad moment are enough for you to take irrevocable action.
        It's quite possible he'd be alive if he didn't have a gun. Take something more to throw yourself in front of a train or jump off a bridge or bld.

•  Nobody caught this earlier? (0+ / 0-)

So FIVE DAYS LATER I have to post and remind jplanner that Swartz hanged himself.

There was no gun.

This is not a gun control issue.

This is an issue of "government OUT of control".

If it's
          Not your body,
          Then it's
          Not your choice
          And it's
          None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 02:25:43 PM PST

•  I didn't compare Holer to Gonzalez but (0+ / 0-)

I agree with you. he did extinguish his own light
      kinda was in the moment of feeling the loss and frustration of the futility of that.
      The government though sought to defacto extinguish his light or dim it profoundly as they threatened him with 30 yrs in prison.
      I don't know a lot about this case but can't help to think..why couldn' they find another way rather than slap him with such a severe penalty they would stop and silence talented person who will give back and help our country for thrity years?
      i am left feeling there might have been another way that would be a net gain for the country as well. Those prosecutors work for us.