View Diary: Bad Policy: This Week in Climate Chaos (19 comments)

•  we needed to act (0+ / 0-)

20-30-40 years ago.  Now it's just windmills . . .

If it makes you feel good, do it.  It won't change anything.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 10:59:07 PM PST

•  You can't know that. (4+ / 0-)

But what we do know, is that doing nothing, definitely won't change anything.

Climate activists unite: we need a symbol. A name. A vision. Join the discussion.

by Eowyn9 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 07:15:27 AM PST

•  If you want to be able to say you did (3+ / 0-)

everything you knew how to do, and you should, then you should do it.

If that somehow leads to the mass public and private institutional change needed to avert the worst effects of Climate Change, that's a bonus.

I, personally, am not going to give up while I'm still breathing.

The Class, Terror and Climate Wars are indivisible and the short-term outcome will affect the planet for centuries. -WiA "When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill..." - PhilJD

by Words In Action on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 07:21:54 AM PST

•  Can't do anything about the past. (3+ / 0-)

I tried to get people into action on this back in 77 but it flopped.  Pres. Carter tried and got chastised with his "Crisis of Confidence" speech.  But if and when this country ever gets serious about tackling this problem how we do things can change very quickly.  Look at our country's reaction and response in WWII as an example.  There are plenty of baked in consequences we'll experience because of our past inaction but it ain't over until fat lady sings.  You can spout the bend over slowly while kissing your ass goodbye mantra but I'll be damned if I will.  Go ahead and build your windmills.  I'm going to change things.

If we really want to straighten out all this crap we really need to think about shit - Holy Shit.

by John Crapper on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 07:40:36 AM PST

•  We have to treat this crisis the way... (2+ / 0-)
        John Crapper, CA wildwoman

...we treated World War II. They didn't make civilian automobiles for three years. They rationed gasoline and sugar and rubber and bicycles and stoves and meat and fish and butter. They drafted 11 million men. They took women out of their homes and put them to work in factories and offices in the millions. They retooled huge swaths of the economy. They controlled profits and wages.

by Meteor Blades on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 04:22:20 PM PST

•  We can't change history, but what we do matters. (1+ / 0-)
      radical simplicity

Sure, the old earth will be gone. I agree there isn't much to be done about the spilled CO2. The question is: How bad do we let it get? Business as usual will raise CO2 levels more than if we take decisive action now. Thus, action today will make the future less catastrophic. As a parent, that is all that matters to me.