View Diary: In Aaron's Name, Change This Law (81 comments)

•  What do you think the penalty... (3+ / 0-)
    TheMomCat, triv33, nota bene

...should be for what happened to you?

by Meteor Blades on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 08:39:03 AM PST

•  Whatever you get for bank theft and fraud. (1+ / 0-)
      emelyn
      •  That would have been far less (9+ / 0-)

than the plea bargain of 35 yrs in prison & over a million dollars in fines. Since Aaron technically didn't steal anything or hack into JSTOR. There was no fraud involved in what Aaron did.  This could have been handles without law enforcement getting involved at all, except that MIT had a hissy fit over an intentionally built in loop whole to their computer system. JSTOR had already dropped the complaint after Aaron returned the files he had borrowed. Yes, borrowed, like a library. He didn't steal money, he borrowed too many "books" and intended to share them with the rest of the world for free.

BTW, the person who hacked into your bank account wouldn't have been prosecuted under this law but under 18 U.S.C. § 2113 : US Code - Section 2113: Bank robbery and incidental crimes which the courts have ruled covers you situation.

"There is but one evil party with two names, and it will be elected despite all I can do or say." W.E.B. Dubois, 1956
        TheStarsHollowGazette.com

by TheMomCat on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 10:30:24 AM PST

•  Here you go: (7+ / 0-)
        Subsection (b) outlines the penalties for anyone who takes and carries away, with the intent to steal or purloin, any property or money or any thing of value in the care, custody, control, management, or possession of any bank, credit union, or savings and loan. The maximum penalty for violation of this subsection is a fine and ten years imprisonment if the value of the property exceeds $100. The maximum penalty is a fine and one year imprisonment if the property's value is $100 or less. [My bold]

by Meteor Blades on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 11:26:56 AM PST

•  sigh (0+ / 0-)

clearly i have no ability to communicate, since what i am saying is ignored and everyone is responding to what they think what i said must be 'saying'.  which i gather is something along the lines of: this aaron fellow got what he deserved.  sigh.  whatever.

•  I think people understand you quite well actually (2+ / 0-)
            TheMomCat, SpecialKinFlag

On the other  hand, I think often you lack self-awareness in the way you conduct yourself on this site.

Self-described political "centrists" believe the best policy is halfway between right and wrong. — @RBReich via web

by BentLiberal on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 04:13:26 PM PST

•  what did Boehner say to Reid the other day? (0+ / 0-)
              •  was that passive aggresive enough for you, BL? (0+ / 0-)

i was trying my darn-est to conduct myself exactly like you.

•  OK I'll be direct: (3+ / 0-)
                TheMomCat, SpecialKinFlag, nota bene

Your response to MB was very puzzling

He asked what you thought the sentence would be. You answered you didn't know, but offered up "Whatever you get for bank theft and fraud."  He supplied that information to you as to how long that sentence would be. For reasons I can't understand, that caused you to claim no one understands you.

What's not being understood? It was a very straightforward exchange. I can only assume that when you found out the factual information, you didn't like it -- and rather than deal with it, you claimed no one understands you and everyone is ignoring you.

THAT is what I would call passive-aggressive. He supplies information that you didn't know, and rather than dealing with it -- you throw up a victimization routine.

Hope that my second attempt expressed my thoughts in your preferred method.

by BentLiberal on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 05:01:01 PM PST

•  This is AB's MO (1+ / 0-)
                  tahoebasha2

If it isn't about him, it's not important. Thanks for trying to drill this home to him. Others have tried, to no avail.

TheStarsHollowGazette.com

by TheMomCat on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 05:11:13 PM PST

•  oh, mama kitty. you silly cat. (0+ / 0-)

look, i don't know what you want to accomplish by accusing me of playing a victim card, but whatever it is, you have to do it in front of people who's opinion of me i care about.

here's a hint: none of them are on daily kos

that's what is so darned frustrating about me, right?

•  you dont have to convince me of thing, BentLiberal (0+ / 0-)

and you don't have to worry that i am preventing you from convincing other people, because everyone here thinks what they think irregardless of whatever the fuck you think.  okay?  so, stop fighting with me.  you're wasting your time.  unless you enjoy fucking with me to get a rise out of me, then by all means, feel free to continue.  i enjoy a spirited cock fight.

•  Everyone knows what you said (1+ / 0-)
            tahoebasha2

Perhaps you should have just said it more succinctly and left. I suggest you not comment further.

And, please in the future, stay out of my diaries.

TheStarsHollowGazette.com

by TheMomCat on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 05:07:46 PM PST

•  as a member of the democratic party, i am evil (0+ / 0-)

so, i am going to go ahead and keep commenting, cause i enjoy being evil, and i am going to possible read and even comment on one of your diaries in the future, to keep the evil spreading.  that's just how us evil people in the democratic party roll, momma kitty!

hey!  i just realized that you may be the one person who gets my tag quote below!  how sweet is that!

•  I focused on this: (3+ / 0-)
            nota bene, TheMomCat, SpecialKinFlag

"listening to people whine about how tough laws" for hacking.

You raised this issue. Since the so-calling whining came about because of draconian treatment being meted out to someone whose alleged crime did not actually harm anyone while some people on this site, including one of your tippers, think banksters should get off scott-free for the harm they caused millions of Americans because prosecuting is supposedly so hard, I was seeking get you to explain what you think would be fair treatment.

How exactly did I misread you?

by Meteor Blades on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 06:00:14 PM PST

•  "clearly i have no ability to communicate" (0+ / 0-)

that was a literal statement.  it wasn't being sarcastic.  i said one thing and everyone thought i was saying something else.

i wrote a one line comment title scoffing at the idea that programmers should write hacking laws.

then i went on in the comment to make an angry rant about hackers.  hackers make me angry.  so sue me.

i have listened to hackers whining for years about how unfair it is that they face such hard punishments for hacking.  god forbid they just stop hacking.

this kid, aaron, he killed himself.  he's dead.  and everyone can point the finger at the prosecution, but the kid is dead because he was a fucking idiot.  what he did was as stupid as chaining one's self to train track.  maybe the train stops and you made your point.  or maybe your body is torn to pieces and you die needlessly because you couldn't stop and THINK about a way to do what you want to do that isn't fucking stupid.

who's talking about that right now?  if what this kid did wasn't morally wrong, even if it was legally wrong, who's having a discussion about how to get from A to D without someone having to face prison or suicide.  nobody.  instead, everyone's talking about the terrible injustice and turning the kid into a martyr.

and even though you all KNOW that the laws aren't going to get easier for hackers, you are still lionized this kid.  so, now, there will be other kids inspired by this kid and they will get themselves into trouble and maybe go to prison or kill themselves or even get killed (depending on who they hack).

do you know which comment you should have focused on that i wrote instead of the whine comment?  the one where i said that hacking is more dangerous that guns.  this kid aaron was like a kid playing with a gun.  his hacking ended up getting him killed.  while you all have great comments about gun laws here on daily kos, you all are totally missing the bigger issue on hacking.  programming is vastly more dangerous than a gun.  to everyone, including the programmers.

• Recommended (145)
  • Education (18)
  • Environment (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site