View Diary: It's the Law - Cuomo signs Gun Control Legislation (219 comments)

•  Yup... same... (20+ / 0-)

but Cuomo is is competent. I also think he knows how to read political tea leaves. He wanted to be first in the nation on gun control legislation for a reason (his ambitions) but his State of the State was very interesting for the sharp left turn it took from his first couple years. I've been meaning to write something up on that but haven't had the time yet.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:01:09 PM PST

•  going to be hard to explain (12+ / 0-)

handing the senate to the gop...

but this was good, fast work.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:02:09 PM PST

•  Not a big Andrew Cuomo fan, either... (7+ / 0-)

...in part, due to matters discussed HERE. But, he's older now, and he's not a bad campaigner, either.  Very much the staunch NY neoliberal...in the strongest sense of the word, IMHO. Although all of his (most) recent "progressive" talk sounds pretty damn good...I must admit! That and $3 bucks will get you a coffee these days....

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:28:44 PM PST

•  Except that if he can pass legislation (6+ / 0-)

like this then it provides him with half the explanation... or excuse.

The whole Senate thing is not black and white. The environment is very convoluted. Those of us that spent the last few years working to dump bad Democratic Senators like Monserrate, Espada, and Kruger have had mixed feelings all along about this. The idea of making Sampson majority leader was not appealing no matter how hard core Dems we were.

And Cuomo backed Republican Senators that stuck their necks out for marriage equality. While I disagreed with him on that I can understand and respect it.

The real test is if Cuomo and Klein can get progressive legislation passed in the Senate or if they really did hand it over to Republican control. Passing significant gun control legislation argues in their favor. And passing it in a bi-partisany fashion argues even stronger and makes it a little harder for Republicans elsewhere to obstruct (not much I'm sure but a little).

So if this is as good as it sounds and they didn't leave loopholes that make it showpiece legislation as opposed to effective legislation then credit indeed.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 04:47:42 PM PST

•  Please do (7+ / 0-)

I realize that it's still of limited general interest here on a national site, but I'd love your insights on the oh-so-enigmatic Mr. Cuomo's latest moves, not just this one.

I have to admit that I'm proud to be a New Yorker today, even though I'm sure his reasons for moving so quickly have as much to do with his personal advancement (though I'm also not quite sure how) as that it happens to be the right thing.

by sidnora on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 03:53:05 PM PST

•  Everything Cuomo does (6+ / 0-)

has to do with his personal advancement. Same with Jeff Klein. Make no mistake about that. They are both ego-driven personalities doing what they think is best to advance their own power and careers.

But they are in a liberal state and Klein at least is a fairly liberal person himself as far as I can tell while Cuomo appears to be a slightly left leaning third way Democrat.

So while I am not crazy about either of them they may well combine to do some good things despite themselves.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 04:52:50 PM PST

•  Another thought (4+ / 0-)

it seems like the bifurcated Senate leadership may have been crucial in getting this passed, and if that's the case, I'm dialing back on my recent desire to wring Jeff Klein's neck. I still think the arrangement is bizarre, but if it produces more of this type of result...

by sidnora on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 04:15:57 PM PST

•  If Klein and crew (4+ / 0-)
        sethtriggs, chicklet, MRA NY, sidnora

had stuck with the Democrats then a Democratic Senate would have passed this legislation and it may well have been even better.

But... if they can get Republican backing for passing progressive legislation then they deserve credit for that.

I think Cuomo wanted the IDC with the Republicans because he felt he could work with the Republicans to get things passed (and thereby make himself look like someone who gets things done... and in a bi-partisany fashion) whereas he felt he couldn't work with Sampson and a corrupt/incompetent Democratic Senate leadership. The problem is that with Sampson dumped by the Dems and Stewart-Cousins in place that argument doesn't hold anymore. Far as I know she is squeaky clean.

But Klein's advantage is that Skelos knows if he pushes too hard from the right Klein can simply turn to Stewart-Cousins and pass progressive legislation without the Republicans. So the Republicans have little choice but to work with Cuomo and Klein and get out of the deal what they can.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 04:57:23 PM PST

•  That's exactly (1+ / 0-)
          Andrew C White

how I saw the situation.

I admit I was a little stunned when Klein & Co. stuck by their plan even after Stewart-Cousins got chosen (I really like her, btw), but I guess there's no intoxicant like power. They'd seized it and they weren't about to let it go. But it disgusts me that relatively decent legislators like Klein and Savino are making common cause with the likes of Felder, who IMO should be kicked out of the party, and Smith's behavior is just a joke.

by sidnora on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 05:47:34 AM PST

•  Klein is all about Klein (1+ / 0-)
            sidnora

didn't shock me at all that he stuck with the Republicans. If he came back into the Democratic fold he would have to do so in support of Stewart-Cousins... and then where do his delusions of grandeur leadership ambitions go?

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt