View Diary: If you like quinoa, asparagus, or free trade, read this. (207 comments)

•  quinoa, asparagus, palm tree oil (23+ / 0-)

tea tree oil, soy...

we in the US/Europe are privileged. We often don't see what our various trendy things do to the rest of the world. This is why I think that while getting 7 billion people to not eat meat is great and good luck with that, it's really not going to look much different than now.

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 09:11:24 AM PST

•  Yup... (13+ / 0-)

the answer is to eat locally sourced food that is raised in a sustainable manner.  It's great that you are eating a grain from South America, but how much oil is spent in shipping that stuff?

'Goodwill' between the GOP and the President is as abundant as unicorn farts - Me'

by RichM on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 09:20:34 AM PST

•  That's no answer (6+ / 0-)
        NYFM, TomP, terrypinder, RichM, Aquarius40, sk4p

because there is such a miniscule amount of that, it's often hard to identify and access, and it's often too expensive to eat regularly.

Apparently, the answer is to eat nothing.

Jon Husted is a dick.

by anastasia p on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 09:23:15 AM PST

•  right. (2+ / 0-)
          TomP, Donkey Hotey

i do expect the world to go largely vegetarian within the fifty to one hundred years, but it's not going to be local. it's going to be factory farmed.

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 09:35:37 AM PST

•  Got a lawn? Dig it up and plant food. (13+ / 0-)

I distinctly remember reading about someone growing 15 pounds of rice in a kiddie pool.  Now suppose everyone in the country who had space for a kiddie pool did that.  How much rice is that?  Suppose every suburbanite in the country ripped out their lawns and flower beds and planted food instead: how much food would that be?  If you don't live in a planned community, then no-one can stop you from doing it.

The rules of agriculture change dramatically at the very small scale: like relativity yielding to quantum mechanics.  Low-tech labor-intensive practices become quite manageable.  That goes double if you plan on eating the food rather than selling it.

Something's wrong when the bad guys are the utopian ones.

by Visceral on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 10:11:34 AM PST

•  :) (2+ / 0-)
            Fe Bongolan, Joieau

i'm lucky both me and my partner loathe mowing. We loathe it so much last year we paid someone to do it (and we barely have any money as it is). We have a large lawn, that increasingly is falling beneath my garden, as it should.

Eventually I'm going to have fruiting shrubs and fruit trees and other fun things, and very little lawn.

(need to keep some for the dog...but she already has her area, so it won't be a problem.)

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 10:58:43 AM PST

•  Most places in the US could eat more seasonally (8+ / 0-)

and stop buying strawberries in December and asparagus in the middle of the summer.

Our purchase of these items has helped many South American countries that grow on the opposite season to ours but we're also adding to the carbon load in ways that we don't need to. When we lived in Argentina, we couldn't afford to buy blueberries there even though they were grown in country. They make so much money off them in the US, they can't be bothered to sell them for a decent price at home. Maybe Americans should begin to realize that we're paying too much for food that comes from overseas and not enough for our food raised by our own farmers.

•  Gardening semi-seriously (2+ / 0-)
            angelajean, AZ Sphinx Moth

(once begun it's not hard to get semi-serious) leads directly to seasonal locavore-awareness. Even the things I don't grow are available at the local tailgate farmer's markets in season. And what I do grow is of course available in season. If you don't wish to bother too much with preservation, it has to get eaten in season!

I have found that by the time you're sick of asparagus, young greens, morels and ramps, it's time for serious collards, first squash, peas/beans and new potatoes. I don't miss what comes in early spring for what comes in late spring, or what comes in late spring through the summer and fall. There's plenty to eat, it all tastes great...

•  Supply and demand (3+ / 0-)
          Jakkalbessie, Joieau, divineorder

Force the market to respond by producing more food locally.  If we refuse to buy food, especially processed food, from other countries, it will force the bankers to switch their funding to local growers instead of companies that ship food production overseas.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 11:29:32 AM PST

•  that's great but it won't work on a global scale (2+ / 0-)
        TomP, RichM

...unless the population stopped growing and declined...

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 09:34:17 AM PST

•  My asparagus never seems to (0+ / 0-)

make it into the kitchen. Have a fine, old and new crop spread at various places in my garden, when they're coming in they mostly get eaten as-is straight from the ground by whoever is out there picking. Occasionally get enough for a 2-person side...

•  Soy (10+ / 0-)

is something myself and others can't digest. When every food is contaminated with soy as it is now I can literally starve while eating constantly.

I'll be quite glad to see it go.

"Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

by Horace Boothroyd III on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 09:35:37 AM PST

•  right (6+ / 0-)

What's going to happen when the trend fades, as these trends tend to do?  Many farmers will have saved and invested and come out ahead, but others will think the prices will last forever and extend themselves dangerously.

That's the market at work, of course, but a rational society will have some alternative available for people who get ground under market processes.  But people (and governments) never think about what to do after the boom while a boom is going on.

•  Meat requires much more energy per pound to produc (6+ / 0-)

than any crop. As others have said, lots of the soybean expansion in the amazon is used for animal feed. Reducing meat consumption will greatly help reduce our impact on the environment

That quote about GDP by Robert Kennedy

by erichiro on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 10:07:26 AM PST

•  yeah, I don't believe that for a second. (0+ / 0-)

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 10:12:59 AM PST

•  Why? (2+ / 0-)
          terrypinder, Donkey Hotey

Here in the US the majority of our grain and soy production goes to animal feed. I read somewhere (a book years ago, so I don't know if it's absolutely accurate) that it takes 5 pounds of grain fed to a stock animal to produce the equivalent of 1 pound's worth of human nutrition (as meat). It really isn't very efficient, on any level of examination.

It's certainly a waste of energy and land. But then again, Americans have to sustain a whole lot more fat than most people in the rest of the world have to sustain. Hell, most of those in the rest of the world never pack on the extra fat in the first place, much less need to sustain it!

•  7 billion and climbing is why (1+ / 0-)
            Joieau

certainly is true a significant portion of the world exists on subsistence agriculture.

now it's my personal belief that within 100 years and perhaps 50 or less we're going to stop eating a lot of cows.  Much of the world does not eat that much meat to begin with. But culturally---wow--people have their work cut out for it. I mean I tried doing one meatless day at home and no one went for it, so I just don't bother trying outside of just myself.

(Well, we'll still eat cows and et cetera, they'll just be grown in vats. I personally think the people researching this and putting it into production are great.)

but until the population slows and declines, and barring a war, wars, asteroid strike, massive volcanic event or so on, that's not going to happen until after we cross the 12 billion mark sometime between 2040 and 2060. They gotta eat. As much as I want to believe sustainable agriculture practices will take place that allow most of those 12 billion to be localvores I realistically (and perhaps a bit cynically) don't see it happening...the food will be mass produced and will have a significant environmental impact, especially if movements to completely ban any genetic tinkering at all are successful.

...until after I'm dead. I do hope to see 2061, when I'll be 80 years old. I do know it really won't be a very nice world though, and after that year, poof. But the civilization that exists after the Great Dieoff will, ironically, be awash in resources to be recycled and everything.

I'd also love to be wrong, in fact I very much want to be wrong, but I'm a cynic, and it's served me pretty well at forecasting events to come over the last ten years or so.

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 03:13:18 PM PST

•  Wow. I've been vegetarian (1+ / 0-)
              Donkey Hotey

by choice (ovo-lacto, do consume cheese, milk, eggs, occasional fish) for nearly 40 years. Mostly because I never much liked meat anyway, always fed it to the dog under the table. There's so much great taste-treat variety in fruits, veggies and grains that I've never missed it. Kids grew up without meat from toddler-dom, one grandson was vegetarian until teenager-hood (when hamburgers are apparently a rite of passage). He got to be 6'4" and 170 pounds, mostly without meat.

I grow quite a chunk of our vegetable and fruit diet here on our ~23 acres (mostly forest). Also grow forest crops of medicinal herbs - because they grow naturally here, so I encourage that). Trade with neighbors and dealers at the tail-gate markets for what I don't grow. Grains are mostly dabblings because I don't have but a few acres cleared, but I've been trying them out for 20 years. Eventually something will like it here.

Humans weren't designed to subsist on meat 3-4 times a day, 365 days a year. Being a 'wannabe' locavore can inform you a lot about what can be the healthiest diet (even with meat). So much of our carbon output goes into transportation of food that we really need to start taking that seriously.

On the other hand, some folks like meat. My Mom cut the tip off her finger when she was 12 trying to cut off a rooster's head for Sunday dinner during the Depression. After that she got pissed off, learned to flip chicken heads off just by twisting her wrist (and was rather proud of it). If you can raise your own calves and dairy cows/goats and chickens and pigs and ducks and rabbits and don't mind killing them humanely and dealing properly with the meat products, go for it. I've no problem with killing fish, am contemplating a trout farm in my retirement. No problem with hunting for game food either, the hunters I know take it seriously.

I can't deliberately kill a critter I know by name, and don't care to kill critters I don't know by name. If you can, that's fine. Choosing not to be a party to the whole impersonal death industry where someone else kills your food so you don't have to think about it is something that gives me the greeblies. That's just me.

•  I've never heard 5 pounds (1+ / 0-)
            Joieau

I've heard 10-12.  In general when you move up the food chain (from producers like plants, to primary consumers like cows or deer, to secondary consumers like wolves or alligators) only about 10% of the calories travel.  For a wolf to get one calorie of deer meat the deer mush have eaten 10 calories of leaves, and the tree must have produced 100 calories worth of leaves over time to make that 10 calories the deer ate.

"If you defeat a thousand opponents, you still have a thousand opponents. If you change a thousand minds, you have a thousand allies"

by Donkey Hotey on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 05:49:11 PM PST

•  I haven't done the appropriate (0+ / 0-)

research on this, probably should. I checked out of the death industry all those years ago, because I like critters. My dad told me that was the worst reason to become vegetarian, I still think it's the best. Health issues are gravy.

I took some dumb intertoobs test some time back, found that despite my bad habits I'll live to be 99 or more. My sweet spousal unit (who is also extremely healthy) won't. Why the heck would I want to live decades beyond him? It's almost depressing to consider the possibility that I might be the last one standing.

Our lives are limited in time, and aren't very long in the scheme of things. I've just wanted to live my life as an adventure, and that is how I view it. Adventures encompass tragedies, and lots of life's corners are tragic. Some supervene that by sheer amazement. All I've got is my life in time however long it lasts, I might as well invest it.

In the end, if I'm ever asked, I'll say with total honesty "I tried - I did the best I could with what I had to work with." Maybe that'll be enough. Maybe not...

•  But that soy goes to feed cows that have been (0+ / 0-)

moved to feedlots. Better that the Argentines would leave their cows on the fields - it was more sustainable that the system they are heading towards... our own. But they're growing soy like you wouldn't believe on fields that used to support cattle.