View Diary: Wall Street Journal or The Onion? (195 comments)

•  This diary reeks of envy. (0+ / 0-)

I do understand the principle but the generalized mockery of people just because they make a lot of money is in line with them complaining because they will make up to 20k less.

I make less than 50k and I am alarmed when I look at the money that comes out of my check (which is why I don't look) I'd still be mad, even moreso if that dollar amount was 5k to 12k per month.

I don't believe there is a threshold in which the average individual looks at the taxes they pay and says "That is money I did not want to have in my paycheck."

These are the the "rich" people you are looking for.

Who ya gonna shoot wit dat homie, you'd rather blast an original instead of a phony, true macaroni, you don't even know me, and why does your gun say n****z only?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 05:55:06 AM PST

•  Seriously? Envy? (58+ / 0-)

I didn't catch even a whiff of envy -- it's called mockery. WSJ portrayed this as representative of what different types of families will encounter with the new tax laws. It's absolutely laughable.

And just for the record, I don't mind paying taxes -- we get a lot in return for our money.

First the thing is impossible, then improbable, then unsatisfactorily achieved, then quietly improved, until one day it is actual and uncontroversial. ... It starts off impossible and it ends up done. - Adam Gopnik

by theKgirls on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:05:02 AM PST

•  Cartoon envy? (23+ / 0-)

Even mush-headed Liberals like me don't get jealous of fictional characters.  Also, isn't the "politics of envy" a Republican talking point?  Or did I miss something here?

Early to rise and early to bed Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and dead. --Not Benjamin Franklin

by Boundegar on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:30:05 AM PST

•  It is a GOP talking point (0+ / 0-)

but I felt that reading the diary made it pretty clear.

The comparison to a retail workers wage, the generalized mockery simply based on wage, the desire to see someone who may have already earned low wages return to that so they can learn some lesson they may have already learned.

This desire to penalize people because they have reached a certain income threshold.  The creation of this particular wealthy person or high wage earners who dares share the same disappointment millions of Americans of all incomes and political persuasions feel when their taxes go up.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:22:32 AM PST

•  Personally (5+ / 0-)

There were some years (before Bush) that we were in the top 2% or 3%, and one year we made it into the top 1%.

I can remember looking at my Form 1040 and actually being embarrassed at how little we paid in taxes - based on your comment above it was more than you earn in a year, and probably a smaller percentage than what you pay in taxes. And that's at the Clinton rates, not the Bush rates, and paying both parts of Social Security/Medicare.

No, we didn't voluntarily send more to the government, but we did up our donation levels for a while, and put a bunch into savings instead of consumption. Which is why, during and after the Bush/Obama economies, we could still live in our house and eat 3 meals a day.

In Soviet Russia, you rob bank. In America, bank robs you.

by badger on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:45:19 AM PST

•  I'm going to make an assumption if that's ok... (0+ / 0-)

I assume you were friends with other people who also paid a tax rate equal to or higher than what I made in a year.

I can't imagine that everyone one of them if my assumption is right was as embarrassed as you were if at all about the amount of taxes they paid.

If my assumption is right I assume you didn't "defriend" them based on their lack of embarrassment.

My father in law probably pays twice my salary a year in taxes and is pissed about every dollar he has to pay, but he's a good man, a literal life saver, a generous man both with his time and money, a loving grandfather, a smart man, and a pretty cool guy to hang out with, who has a sad face when his taxes go up.  So what?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 01:06:21 PM PST

•  Sure - not everybody I know agrees with me (2+ / 0-)
                twigg, kefauver

just like not everybody I know agrees with your father-in-law, or you.

And a lot of people, including everyone in the WSJ graphic, can do just fine at the higher tax rate.

A lot of people are sad because Obama got elected - that's no reason to cut them slack when they try to pretend he didn't get elected. Similarly, I see no reason to feel sorry for (and in fact not mock) people with tens of thousands of truly disposable income who are sad because a tiny increment of that will be going for taxes.

You're suggesting we should be understanding when Scrooge lets Bob Cratchit freeze because he's too cheap to toss an extra lump of coal in the stove. I understand that kind of behavior, but I'm not sympathetic toward it, and the people in the graphic, if really sad, are essentially no different than Scrooge.

In Soviet Russia, you rob bank. In America, bank robs you.

by badger on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 02:46:05 PM PST

•  I'm not suggesting people be understanding (0+ / 0-)

I'm suggesting they be reasonable.

Did you mock your wealthy friends?  or treat them as the enemy solely based on their income?  Of course not.

The whole reason I was engaged is because I felt the diary stunk of envy and still do.  The diarist blamed our poor economy on people that made a certain dollar threshold, regardless of a sad or happy face.  Even though he admitted he was one of those people at one time.

Why would someone being sad about paying more taxes make them a scrooge, when that says nothing about their charitable donations or generosity?  You don't have a thorough accounting of where your federal tax dollars go.  Your taxes could be the taxes that puts a 10k screw on to a drone

It's lazy to mock someone based on a number and not know anything about their situation.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:00:01 PM PST

•  mim5677 sees what the WSJ wanted 'em to see (18+ / 0-)

"Only working peoples' taxes went up while retirees get too much and ought to be penalized somehow (hint: too much social security benefits, perhaps?)"

Notice: This Comment © 2013 ROGNM

by ROGNM on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:34:54 AM PST

•  I wouldn't say that (0+ / 0-)

I get the cartoon and even read the article from which he got the idea to use the "onion" headline.

The actual article from the WSJ is made up of factual information and the cartoon is nothing but an illustrated link that you can barely make out unless you click on it.

I'm assuming that the WSJ wanted me to read the article rather than look at the cartoon but what do I know.

Either way I don't think people are getting too many SS benefits and I certainly consider the illustration an example of only working people seeing a tax hike.

I also don't get upset when people who make lots of money are not happy when their taxes go up.  They may know full well they can afford it, they just may not like it and as I said I don't think that is an uncommon problem.

The actual article didn't express remorse for high wage earners they just ran the numbers.

The diary is angry and is attacking a phantom person with a perceived attitude and that just isn't reality.  Just because you make 250k and are mad that you are paying more taxes doesn't make you an asshole, plain and simple.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 07:46:43 AM PST

•  The article was (0+ / 0-)

pretty straight forward.  Not a lot of remorse for the tax hikes.  The picture was a link on the article that you couldn't make out if you didn't click on it.

Many people appreciate the public services we get for paying taxes but in my office the people that I work with were all complaining about the $20 dollars they don't get anymore because of the payroll tax change.

Regardless of the wage most people don't like to see their taxes going up.

Why get mad because they make more money?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 07:57:19 AM PST

•  And we'd get a lot more if (2+ / 0-)
        twigg, theKgirls
        if the Federal military hardware budget was cut and the savings put into energy efficiency and solar and wind power.

Renewable energy brings national global security.

by Calamity Jean on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:47:36 AM PST

•  Envy? (32+ / 0-)

Reeks of?

::  sniffs down shirt :: Nope, don't reek of anything much.

What this Diary reeks of is the portrayal of wealthy families as "sad" at having to make a contribution to the parlous financial position they have put this country in.

As for envy ... well my wife's salary has taken about a 10% hit in the last three years, and it is nearly all of our income.

Sure, I'd like to be struggling by on $650k, but I can take comfort that I am relieved of the worry about how to spend it all, so I guess I feel sympathy for them.

Back in the days when I earned a lot of money, I paid 40% tax on most of it and never gave it a second thought. If those taxes had been 50%, I still wouldn't have been bothered.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:22:15 AM PST

•  but that's you (0+ / 0-)

The cartoon wasn't even the main focus of the article and the article was pretty straight forward.

When you say that people that make good money are to blame for the country being in bad financial shape it lends itself to the idea that you are envious or at the very least misguided in your anger.

What about a certain dollar amount (you pick it) makes someone responsible for the condition our country is in.

How were you responsible when you made a lot of money?  What percentage of the blame can I put on you for being fortunate enough to be taxed at 40%?

What you are saying in your diary is that it is this arbitrary number that someone earns that makes them a culprit in our downturn and not some other factor like being a part of a mortgage giant and having some ability to sell junk mortgages or something like that.  How much blame does your favorite actor or athlete get?  They may lots of money too.

That's just what I get from your diary.  It's not okay to be mad that your taxes went up if you make X.  It's not okay to make X because you are hurting the country.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:32:55 AM PST

•  Mocking the cartoon =/= mocking people who make (35+ / 0-)

money.

You've missed the point--that this image is utterly unrepresentative of the categories it depicts--entirely.

Before elections have their consequences, Activism has consequences for elections.

by Leftcandid on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:22:47 AM PST

•  I do get that (0+ / 0-)

Knowing that it doesn't represent those people well then why the anger.

Taking so much from the picture and skipping the article just doesn't make sense.

Then literally blaming someone who makes a high wage for the recession just stinks to me.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:35:19 AM PST

•  Taking what from the picture? (7+ / 0-)

It was much more than a picture. It is an infographic top left justified, it's the money shot for the article.

What you should be taking from that picture is that was the intent of the article, period.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:04:37 AM PST

•  No way (0+ / 0-)

if it was it would have been far more prominent and you know that.

The intent of the article was to explain a wide variety of tax changes without any emotion attached.

The article in no way implied that high wage earners were common, it just explained what was going to happen to high wage earners under the new tax system.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:11:56 AM PST

•  srsly? (29+ / 0-)

Envy isn't what I'm seeing here. It's more like disgust that the wsj thinks this is representative of a majority of Americans.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world--and never will. Mark Twain

by whoknu on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:27:59 AM PST

•  They don't (0+ / 0-)

the article was completely clear about that.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:38:27 AM PST

•  Au contraire! (25+ / 0-)

It scared the crud out of me. I thought inflation in the States had risen such that poor single moms had to live on an average salary of $230,000! We could never move back again and would have to seriously reconsider visiting. Cripes! A hamburger must cost $50 by now.

"We are monkeys with money and guns". Tom Waits

by northsylvania on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:32:42 AM PST

•  It costs $666 (4+ / 0-)
        The douche burger attempts to make a mockery of the entire expensive burger phenomenon. Created by Franz Aliquo and the 666 Burger food truck in New York City, the cheeseburger features a Kobe beef patty wrapped in gold leaf, foie gras, caviar, lobster, truffles, imported aged Gruyere cheese, melted with champagne steam, a kopi luwak barbeque sauce and Himalayan rock salt.

The owner of the food truck, Franz Alique has this to say about the world’s most expensive burger, “It consists of a f—ing burger filled and topped with rich people s–t.”

The last "serious" contender for the most expensive burger
        Le Burger Extravagant – $295
        Serendipity 3, New York
        New York, Serendipity 3, known for also having the world’s most expensive sundae and hotdog, recently launched the Le Burger Extrevagant. The burger consists of a Japanese Waygu beef patty infused with 10-herb white truffle butter and seasoned with smoked sea salt. The cheeseburger features a cheddar cheese aged for 18 months by famed cheesemaker James Montgomery. No Expensive burger is complete without truffles, in this case shaved black ones. The burger also includes a fried quail egg, a blini, creme fraiche, Kaluga caviar on a white truffle-buttered Campagna roll.

What else can bring up the price of this burger? Well it comes with a solid gold toothpick, encrusted with diamonds.

Top 10 Most Expensive Burgers

How many of these burgers will go unmade and uneaten because Obama has raised taxes.  It is a travesty of Brobdingnagian proportions and completely unacceptable!

•  That was caused by (4+ / 0-)

FLOTUS' obesity initiative.

See, now they can blame both of them!

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:15:03 PM PST

•  I actually used to put salmon roe (2+ / 0-)
          pgm 01, twigg

and sour cream on some pretty good burgers (back when we lived in Kansas and could get good quality meat without jumping through hoops). I can recommend it if you like that sort of thing. Didn't cost an outrageous amount though.
          Truffles grow wild in some parts of England. They're all right if you can find a source and eat them immediately. If you can't, try dried ceps (penny buns) or trompets de mort (!), once again if you can find them cheap. If you have to pay too much for any ingredient, it's not worth the trouble. Let the rich people eat gold encrusted hamburgers, I'll make do with extra habanero and some Blackstick's Blue (local cheese).

"We are monkeys with money and guns". Tom Waits

by northsylvania on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 01:38:58 PM PST

•  The diary reeks of reality... (35+ / 0-)

And you appear to be coping with present day reality by blaming the diarist for envy?

The folks who own that paper, and published that 1% bleeding heart bullshit obfuscation are getting the EXACT reaction they designed; which is for you to cast blame "envy" on those who point out the cartoon is fantasy, when compared to actual income data for a single woman in America, with two children hanging off of her... aka "dependents"

Here are some facts on single woman income in the USA circa 2012-

Single mother poverty rates are much higher in the U.S. than in other high income countries. In the mid-2000s, the poverty rate for single mothers in the U.S. was the highest among 16 high income countries, and almost twice the average rate in the other 15 high income countries.
      A low minimum wage, scarce employment, occupational segregation into low-wage “women’s work,” unaffordable child care, child support delinquency, the absence of a family allowance program, and a weak unemployment insurance system all contribute to the exceptionally high U.S. single mother poverty rate. Another important factor is our restrictive and stingy welfare program. Since the 1996 enactment of federal “welfare reform” legislation, welfare program enrollment has plummeted among poor families. Likewise, welfare benefit amounts are far below the average in other high income
      countries, and in virtually every state have fallen to less than 50% of the poverty standard.

Evidence that contradicts the ruling belief system is held to extraordinary standards, while evidence that entrenches it is uncritically accepted. -Carl Sagan

by RF on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:36:39 AM PST

•  The article (0+ / 0-)

was lacking any remorse for high wage earners.

I'm under the impression that the article was ignored and the page that the article was on did not get viewed.  The cartoon was a side note you couldn't even make out unless you clicked on it and you damn well better have read the article if you are going to complain about the content.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:37:16 AM PST

•  Pssst... (23+ / 0-)

it's the Wall Street Journal that's being mocked here.

"Every now & then your brain gifts you with the thought, 'oh, that's right, I don't actually give a **** about this.' Treasure it" -- jbou

by kenlac on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:43:25 AM PST

•  Supposedly (13+ / 0-)

we are to get something for that money that comes out of the check.  Security in retirement and all.  A nice country, nice things to depend on.  Not that the crooks in congress will let that happen but that is the idea behind the deductions.  I am glad to pay them.  I just hope I get some security when needed.

Everyone! Arms akimbo!

by tobendaro on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 07:18:38 AM PST

•  WTF? (11+ / 0-)

Did you stumble on to the right site?  You do realize that in general, the demographics of Kossacks is WAY above national median averages, right?  You also realized that government services actually cost money too, right?

'Goodwill' between the GOP and the President is as abundant as unicorn farts - Me'

by RichM on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 07:32:46 AM PST

•  1. I stumbled five years ago (0+ / 0-)

2. Yes
        3. Yes

Not to ask what the point is but it doesn't really address the tone of the diary or the reality of peoples lives.

You are asking me to make an assumption about what the diarist knows about the demographics of this site and how he truly feels about wealthy people and you ask me these three questions?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:02:41 AM PST

•  No, it's the hilarity of the sad 30s dustbowl (16+ / 0-)

poses and attitudes displayed (albeit with snazzier wardrobes) as they contemplate a return to the outrageous tyranny of 1990s tax rates. Get a grip.

•  Because its only class warfare when We wage it (11+ / 0-)

When They do, its 'God's natural order"

•  Its not about envy, it is about irrelevence. (8+ / 0-)

The financial hits to the people depicted are irrelevant to their maintaining their standards of living.  Yet it is clearly conveyed as tragic.  It is almost farcical, like focusing on obesity in ethopia.

To any wingnut: If you pay my taxes I'll give you a job.

by ban48 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:08:01 AM PST

•  Tragic is a bit of a stretch (0+ / 0-)

to me but the article doesn't match up to that level of tragedy infact it lacks remorse.

The diarist has blamed the people in this cartoon for the condition the country has been in for the past 10 years based on income alone.

As much money as they make they can still be disappointed about their taxes going up and making a certain amount certainly doesn't make you responsible for the country not having enough money.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:07:11 AM PST

•  Oh c'mon, I've seen happier faces at a funeral. (3+ / 0-)

And I bet the obesity rate in ethiopia is higher than the "Married couple with 4 kids and $650k in income" rate is in the US.

To any wingnut: If you pay my taxes I'll give you a job.

by ban48 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:16:20 AM PST

•  Now that's just absurd. (1+ / 0-)

I don't know how you're extrapolating that the diarist is blaming the people in the cartoon for the condition of the country. The diarist is mocking the actual people that the cartoon people represent, not for being well-off nor for any actions that may have resulted in our current economy, but for the offensiveness of someone so well-off complaining about their taxes when most people survive on so much less.

It's not a whole lot different from hearing a relatively thin woman complain that she's overweight when 99% of the people in the room with her are obese. She may indeed be 10-20 lbs over her ideal weight, but it's tacky and offensive to express it out loud.

I'm not saying that these fortunate people shouldn't be disappointed that their taxes are going back up to pre-Bush rates; I'm just saying it's tacky and out-of-touch to whine about it, and for the WSJ to use it to illustrate the article (regardless of the actual content of the article).

"The American people are so used to being told they have freedom and democracy that they've forgotten to check to see if it's still true.." -Commenter on Facebook

by Arenosa on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:57:17 PM PST

•  in a separate comment (0+ / 0-)

the diarist suggested that it was people making high wages that created the economic conditions of the past twelve years or so.

The article didn't do a lot of whining if any and the illustration although depicting people that are not happy certainly isn't a depiction of tragedy.

The article was pretty dry.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 01:14:35 PM PST

•  Give Me Us a Break! (17+ / 0-)

"Envy?!"

Look at the caricatures - they're cartoons of sad, affluent people who have to pay a little bit more.

Do you really think the single mom making $260,000 isn't going to make ends meet this year because she has to pay an extra $3,300 in taxes?!

These hypothetical situations are laughable!

Have you written your Chained CPI/Social Security Betrayal/Obama is a Caver diary today? 100's already have. What are you waiting for?!

by kefauver on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:15:01 AM PST

•  The cartoon (0+ / 0-)

didn't imply she was going to the soup kitchen but she's already paying 5k in taxes per month.

Does she miss the money?  Probably not, but should she enjoy paying an extra $300 a month?  That is what I am getting from people is that these people because they make a lot of money can't be upset when they pay more in taxes.

We pretend that once they pay fed taxes they just put the rest in the bank as if their money because they are rich is only to be used for hoarding.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:11:25 AM PST

•  She and Her Kids Look Like . . . (7+ / 0-)

Someone told her there would be no Christmas next year.

And I would love to be in their "predicament" right now.

I know they don't hoard their money away, but maybe they should be a little more responsible with how they spend it if they really have to worry about paying an extra $3,300?

by kefauver on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:18:59 AM PST

•  why can't she (0+ / 0-)

just be mad about it.  Maybe she is sending her kids to private school at 50k each a year.  Maybe she has an assload of medical bills that eats up all her money?

You don't know what her predicament is, so how do you know you want to be in it?  If she loses her job at 250k a year she still has bills that she racked up at a level she was customed to living on and again she is paying 70k in federal and probably another 30k in state.

Mortgage could be 50k a year.

Everyone assumes that having money means you have less problems and don't have to worry about money coming in and out and that isn't reality.

The diarist himself remembered the time when he was taxed at the 40% rate and is no longer.

It seems like we are okay with just boxing people in based on the number of digits in their paycheck and that's not smart or right.

The money doesn't make them any more responsible, evil, or happier.  Why are we pretending that it does?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:20:11 AM PST

•  Poor fucking rich people (4+ / 0-)

My heart bleeds for them.

This picture you are creating from "whole cloth", is unbecoming.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
              but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:03:59 AM PST

•  You basically said you (0+ / 0-)

were one of them at one point in your life, getting taxed at 40% right?

What is it about the amount they earn that makes them lesser individuals?

I know the expectation is not that everyone have the same standard of living, but if they end the year with $0 in their bank account for whatever reason why does that make them a bad person?

People that bring home 150k a year have medical bills and other obligations.  Is it because they have more that those obligations are less virtuous?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:31:20 AM PST

•  At no point have I ever said (2+ / 0-)

that rich people are "lesser".

You made that up as a stick to beat me with, and it isn't working.

You might consider that you are wrong, and everyone who is telling you that you are wrong are, in fact, correct.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
                  but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:17:50 PM PST

•  In all seriousness (0+ / 0-)

when you blamed the condition of our economic downturn on a group of people that made a certain amount of money, without any consideration for who they are as people I just assumed you thought they were lesser.  Grouping people together in the way you did without these considerations doesn't tell me you think highly of them.  Not to mention the overall aggressive tone of the diary.

No one is really telling me I am wrong, it's just a disagreement.  This isn't exactly the place for varied thinking when it comes to certain subjects.

It's an opinion, just like yours.  The diary comes off as envious and angry.  It's merely a sample of your writing and I never said that you were angry or envious.  Breathe a little bit, take the criticism and move on.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:45:49 PM PST

•  Then She's Getting Ripped Off. (3+ / 0-)
              twigg, Flying Goat, akeitz

And should know better.

Maybe she is sending her kids to private school at 50k each a year.
              File that under "stupid rich people problems."

by kefauver on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:43:29 AM PST

•  Because (0+ / 0-)

she makes a lot of money she is smarter and knows better, that's the big point you are making, that fucking money equals brains and responsibility?  Really?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:53:20 PM PST

•  Huh? (1+ / 0-)
                  twigg
                  Did you miss where I wrote: "File that under 'stupid rich people problems?'"

I'm done with you. You have now entered the point where you now put words in other people's mouths, a desperate measure for losers.

Good day.

by kefauver on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:39:02 PM PST

•  What the FUCK do I care... (3+ / 0-)
          What the FUCK do I care what she enjoys? Would she 'enjoy' paying no taxes at all, and having everything paid by the people who make less than $100k a year? Very probably she would. Would she enjoy having a plantation of slaves? It's quite possible, although hard to say for sure since there are certain things one just does not say out loud, no matter how loudly one is willing to think them.

I would ENJOY owning a pony. If I was quoted in an article in the WSJ saying that, I would expect to be mocked for it.

And as for the rich and their bank accounts and such, you do realize that the rich spend a tiny amount of their money, and that investment, despite being so overavailable that it is pretty much coming out of our ears, has not, will not, and cannot drag us out of this recession. That indeed the reason for the recession going on so long in the first place is that the rich get so much of the money that there isn't enough of it going through the economy to bring people back to work?

Nope. I don't pity the rich. They have secure lives, and will be able to retire some day in a degree of comfort. I won't: even if social security still exists when I'm 75 or whatever they raise the retirement age to, it is likely that I'll end up below the poverty line.

And they're so sad about that $300 extra they might have to pay a month.

•  Pointing out the *greed* of others is envy? This (5+ / 0-)

cartoon created 3 hilariously cherry picked and unrealistic examples of rich people suffering, all in an attempt to promote the long running Republican philosophy that slightly higher taxes on the rich are the biggest threat to mankind.

Cartoons like this are just asking to be mocked.

•  The article didn't back that up (0+ / 0-)

and the picture wasn't depicting greed.  Rare examples but the people exist.  What is unrealistic is the reactions those people have to the increase in taxes.

Not all people who make lots of money get sad about having to pay more taxes but I'm not going to be mad at someone who is.  All kinds of people get upset when their tax bill goes up, I don't see how that makes someone a lesser person.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:03:59 AM PST

•  Oh please (4+ / 0-)

Really? That's what you see here?

I feel, personally, that the only rational response to someone who looks at their $350k salary, and the 2% extra they have to pay in taxes this year, and then looks around at what the rest of the country is going through (utterly stagnant wages if you even have a job to begin with, AND a significant tax increase this year via payroll taxes) and is not ashamed enough to keep his mouth shut about his 'troubles', is utter mockery. Hilarity, in fact.

If they don't like it, they can stop making themselves ridiculous.