View Diary: Wall Street Journal or The Onion? (195 comments)

•  The cartoon (0+ / 0-)

didn't imply she was going to the soup kitchen but she's already paying 5k in taxes per month.

Does she miss the money?  Probably not, but should she enjoy paying an extra $300 a month?  That is what I am getting from people is that these people because they make a lot of money can't be upset when they pay more in taxes.

We pretend that once they pay fed taxes they just put the rest in the bank as if their money because they are rich is only to be used for hoarding.

Who ya gonna shoot wit dat homie, you'd rather blast an original instead of a phony, true macaroni, you don't even know me, and why does your gun say n****z only?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:11:25 AM PST

•  She and Her Kids Look Like . . . (7+ / 0-)

Someone told her there would be no Christmas next year.

And I would love to be in their "predicament" right now.

I know they don't hoard their money away, but maybe they should be a little more responsible with how they spend it if they really have to worry about paying an extra $3,300?

Have you written your Chained CPI/Social Security Betrayal/Obama is a Caver diary today? 100's already have. What are you waiting for?!

by kefauver on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 09:18:59 AM PST

•  why can't she (0+ / 0-)

just be mad about it.  Maybe she is sending her kids to private school at 50k each a year.  Maybe she has an assload of medical bills that eats up all her money?

You don't know what her predicament is, so how do you know you want to be in it?  If she loses her job at 250k a year she still has bills that she racked up at a level she was customed to living on and again she is paying 70k in federal and probably another 30k in state.

Mortgage could be 50k a year.

Everyone assumes that having money means you have less problems and don't have to worry about money coming in and out and that isn't reality.

The diarist himself remembered the time when he was taxed at the 40% rate and is no longer.

It seems like we are okay with just boxing people in based on the number of digits in their paycheck and that's not smart or right.

The money doesn't make them any more responsible, evil, or happier.  Why are we pretending that it does?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:20:11 AM PST

•  Poor fucking rich people (4+ / 0-)

My heart bleeds for them.

This picture you are creating from "whole cloth", is unbecoming.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:03:59 AM PST

•  You basically said you (0+ / 0-)

were one of them at one point in your life, getting taxed at 40% right?

What is it about the amount they earn that makes them lesser individuals?

I know the expectation is not that everyone have the same standard of living, but if they end the year with $0 in their bank account for whatever reason why does that make them a bad person?

People that bring home 150k a year have medical bills and other obligations.  Is it because they have more that those obligations are less virtuous?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:31:20 AM PST

•  At no point have I ever said (2+ / 0-)

that rich people are "lesser".

You made that up as a stick to beat me with, and it isn't working.

You might consider that you are wrong, and everyone who is telling you that you are wrong are, in fact, correct.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
              but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:17:50 PM PST

•  In all seriousness (0+ / 0-)

when you blamed the condition of our economic downturn on a group of people that made a certain amount of money, without any consideration for who they are as people I just assumed you thought they were lesser.  Grouping people together in the way you did without these considerations doesn't tell me you think highly of them.  Not to mention the overall aggressive tone of the diary.

No one is really telling me I am wrong, it's just a disagreement.  This isn't exactly the place for varied thinking when it comes to certain subjects.

It's an opinion, just like yours.  The diary comes off as envious and angry.  It's merely a sample of your writing and I never said that you were angry or envious.  Breathe a little bit, take the criticism and move on.

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:45:49 PM PST

•  Then She's Getting Ripped Off. (3+ / 0-)
          twigg, Flying Goat, akeitz

And should know better.

Maybe she is sending her kids to private school at 50k each a year.
          File that under "stupid rich people problems."

by kefauver on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:43:29 AM PST

•  Because (0+ / 0-)

she makes a lot of money she is smarter and knows better, that's the big point you are making, that fucking money equals brains and responsibility?  Really?

by mim5677 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:53:20 PM PST

•  Huh? (1+ / 0-)
              twigg
              Did you miss where I wrote: "File that under 'stupid rich people problems?'"

I'm done with you. You have now entered the point where you now put words in other people's mouths, a desperate measure for losers.

Good day.

by kefauver on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 06:39:02 PM PST

•  What the FUCK do I care... (3+ / 0-)
      What the FUCK do I care what she enjoys? Would she 'enjoy' paying no taxes at all, and having everything paid by the people who make less than $100k a year? Very probably she would. Would she enjoy having a plantation of slaves? It's quite possible, although hard to say for sure since there are certain things one just does not say out loud, no matter how loudly one is willing to think them.

I would ENJOY owning a pony. If I was quoted in an article in the WSJ saying that, I would expect to be mocked for it.

And as for the rich and their bank accounts and such, you do realize that the rich spend a tiny amount of their money, and that investment, despite being so overavailable that it is pretty much coming out of our ears, has not, will not, and cannot drag us out of this recession. That indeed the reason for the recession going on so long in the first place is that the rich get so much of the money that there isn't enough of it going through the economy to bring people back to work?

Nope. I don't pity the rich. They have secure lives, and will be able to retire some day in a degree of comfort. I won't: even if social security still exists when I'm 75 or whatever they raise the retirement age to, it is likely that I'll end up below the poverty line.

And they're so sad about that $300 extra they might have to pay a month.